Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Island future

• 10-09-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

I understand the County Council are going to fork out to buy the heritage site of Holy Island (Inis Cealtra) on Lough Derg.

Will this mean that people will have to pay to visit it from now on?

What is the motive for not leaving 'well enough alone'?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lets see the options.

Leave it alone, things go into disrepair, fall down, are vandalised/stolen, end result would probably be a lost historical site.
    Private venture buy it, things are restored to their likings, everything is done to suit their needs, might be walled off from the public or made a paid site, end results would probably be a lost historical site.
    Government (local or regional all the 1 at this stage) buy it, things are restores/managed in line with national interests, probably get help from other state agencies like museums or colleges. There might be a charge to visit it (doubt it) but the end result would probably be a managed historical site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I don't get what you mean by these options Clareman.

I understand the OPW have been maintaining it. So there was no disrepair, in so far as we are talking about a site over a millenium old, under the status quo nor indeed danger of it being lost. The grass is mown and all areas are accessible with the exception of the interior of the main church and of course interior of the tower.
    It is in private ownership already and none of the dangers you point out have materialised.
    You suspect no charge but this pays no heed to what actually happened at the cliffs of Moher. I don't know if you are of sufficient vintage to remember when that was just a site anybody could visit without paying like Holy Island is today.
    There would be something quite perverse indeed about a state body handing over a wad of taxpayers money to acquire something which they then charge those same taxpayers to visit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oooh, I remember when the Cliffs were just a place you went to, parked anywhere, had a look and left, now thanks to a proper car park and visitors center the place to a world famous resource and is being used in more and more movies (not just as the Cliffs of Insanity).

Places like Holy Island have to be protected, status quo is fine, but there is a risk when things are outside of your control that they won't go the way you want them to, in my opinion the Council/Government had a choice of doing nothing or taking ownership, they made the right decision.

Advertisement