Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Efibre speed vs distance from box

Options
  • 10-09-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi guys, I was delighted to see this  http://i.imgur.com/QfBGA2j.png earlier. I wonder if you know what will be the max distance from the exchange that eFibre will be available? I doubt there will be smaller boxes outside of the main exchange in the village. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

brimur69 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was delighted to see this  http://i.imgur.com/QfBGA2j.png earlier. I wonder if you know what will be the max distance from the exchange that eFibre will be available? I doubt there will be smaller boxes outside of the main exchange in the village. Cheers

Hi brimur69

That link is blocked from my access I'm afraid.

I can confirm that efibre availability is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets, unlike regular broadband where it’s available upon exchange upgrade.

The cabinets themselves are connected to the exchange by fibre cable and serve a maximum distance of 2000metres to lines/addresses connected.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Hi brimur69

That link is blocked from my access I'm afraid.

I can confirm that efibre availability is based on the rollout of fibre cabinets, unlike regular broadband where it’s available upon exchange upgrade.

The cabinets themselves are connected to the exchange by fibre cable and serve a maximum distance of 2000metres to lines/addresses connected.

Thanks
    Al
    You also might like to know brimur that distance from cabinet to your property is somewhat academic as Eircom don't guarantee EFibre to your home regardless of how near the cabinet is to you as they supply customers by "pre-defined" routes.If you aren't on these "routes" you won't get service.Class or what? This,by the way, isn't shown on their coverage map but just a crude green blanket covering the whole area where a few lucky address's are getting EFibre
    Regards
    Steve 

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

Thanks for the replies. The picture is a screenshot showing my village Watergrasshill in Cork is due to be upgraded to eFibre in April-June 2015. At the moment it is an ADSL1 (8Mb Max) exchange which is pretty painful. I was wondering if I live a KM or two outside the village (attenuation is about 33) what the possibility of getting eFibre would be and if it is not possible will the exchange at least be upgraded to ADSL2+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Have a look at this - it has the planned cabinet locations... http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

Thanks Testicle, I'm 2000m almost exactly from the nearest cabinet as the crow flies but I'm guessing that is not what Eircom means so no eFibre for me then :(

• Advertisement

Thanks Testicle, I'm 2000m almost exactly from the nearest cabinet as the crow flies but I'm guessing that is not what Eircom means so no eFibre for me then :(
    brimur69
    I would say almost definitely you WON'T be getting it.There are cases of whole villages of 800-to 1000 residents not getting it because it is not cost effective for Eircom to supply the service to their paying customers.However they continue to crow about the fact that they have rolled out EFibre to all these areas when in reality the whole area in question is far from covered.Not sure what Oftcom would have to say about it....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Steve F wrote: »
    brimur69
    I would say almost definitely you WON'T be getting it.There are cases of whole villages of 800-to 1000 residents not getting it because it is not cost effective for Eircom to supply the service to their paying customers.However they continue to crow about the fact that they have rolled out EFibre to all these areas when in reality the whole area in question is far from covered.Not sure what Oftcom would have to say about it....?
    Oftcom - you mean comreg - who have been very quiet about this whole fibre rollout thing.

damienirel wrote: »
    Steve F wrote: »
    brimur69
    Oftcom - you mean comreg - who have been very quiet about this whole fibre rollout thing.
    Yes damienirel I did indeed mean comreg.Funny how they are being very quiet about the whole EFibre roll out....maybe we poor customers should club together and send a few e-mails of complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hey there Steve.

How's about instead of telling someone that they're not gonna be getting something that you have absolutely no knowledge about, you instead let the reps try to deal with a customer's query without your (now typical) eFibre related crusade dragging things into a mess?

Dav wrote: »
    Hey there Steve.

How's about instead of telling someone that they're not gonna be getting something that you have absolutely no knowledge about, you instead let the reps try to deal with a customer's query without your (now typical) eFibre related crusade dragging things into a mess?
    Will do Dav
    Regards from(frustrated)Steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement