Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 bed semi extension costs

Options
  • 10-09-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi All

If anyone has done a similar project recently i would appreciate any advice. I have just gone sold on a standard 3 bed semi detached with garage in D14 and expect to get the keys in the coming weeks.

The plan is to move in and get a 'feel' for the house and engage an architect with the aim to extend the garage and above it to the full length of the house plus downstairs kitchen extenstion (full width of the house). I also plan to put in new windows/doors and insulate the house.

Would love to hear if anyone has done anything similar
    • How much it cost
    • How long did it take
    • Did you use an architect
    • any pitfalls to avoid
    • did it come in on time and budget
    Thanks in advance
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

pauliemc wrote: »
    Hi All

If anyone has done a similar project recently i would appreciate any advice. I have just gone sold on a standard 3 bed semi detached with garage in D14 and expect to get the keys in the coming weeks.

The plan is to move in and get a 'feel' for the house and engage an architect with the aim to extend the garage and above it to the full length of the house plus downstairs kitchen extenstion (full width of the house). I also plan to put in new windows/doors and insulate the house.

• How much it cost
    • How long did it take
    • any pitfalls to avoid
    Thanks in advance
    P

[*]How much it cost

Depends on what standard of finish you are going for, how big, what structural works are required etc. No two buildings will be the same and it depends alot on the existing fabric.

[*]How long did it take

From start to finish including any planning you should allow at least 6 to 12 months with smooth running

[*]Did you use an architect

You wont have an option on this with the new regs as you will need to use either an architect/engineer or building surveyor for assigned certifier

[*]any pitfalls to avoid

Like on all jobs, dont cut corners, dont rush, spend time and spec everything as early as possible,

[*]did it come in on time and budget

that comes down to how much time is spent on your budget planning, specification and detailing and the use of a good QS of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

pauliemc wrote: »
    Hi All

• How much it cost
    • How long did it take
    • any pitfalls to avoid
    Thanks in advance
    P
    First, get architect, than QS and than start lookong for builders, make sure You have planed everithing in advance, it will save time.

Advertisement