Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a career counsellor in the IT area

Options
  • 10-09-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm 25 years old male and I have competed Elec Engineering in UL two years ago however I have been lost to depression and apathy since. Its currently the 10th of september and Im fully aware most student know where they are going at this time however I have just woken up from my dark slumber and need to find something to do this year as I see a full time job being too stressful right now.

I was hoping to get into IT and I was wondering could anyone recommend a guidance councillor who is good in this field, money is not a problem. I also would be open to doing something else as I have no personal passon right now to direct me. I would be glad if anyone could give me advice on how to find what I want to do in life lol..... 26.. last chance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,888 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're only 26 ... it's not your last chance. Just think of it as the next step - do something for a while, and then you can do something else after that.

What advice does your doctor have about working at the moment? May be a part time job would be a better idea?

And where are you based? It may help someone to recommend a careers counsellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 martinaoe2

You're only 26 ... it's not your last chance. Just think of it as the next step - do something for a while, and then you can do something else after that.

What advice does your doctor have about working at the moment? May be a part time job would be a better idea?

And where are you based? It may help someone to recommend a careers counsellor.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm from limerick but I can travel anywhere for a good councilor. I honestly need to put my excess energy into doing something productive so I'm leaning towards full time. Money isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

I know it's scary sometimes thinking about your age but Step 1 is realising that 26 is still mega young and to not feel under pressure about this and the notion that it is your 'last chance' is quite frankly not true.

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    I know it's scary sometimes thinking about your age but Step 1 is realising that 26 is still mega young and to not feel under pressure about this and the notion that it is your 'last chance' is quite frankly not true.

Yeah a bit over the top. I did five years of engineering that I did not like but continued for the piece of paper. That was a Mistake. It killed my self esteem and drive and eventually I got anxious/depressed. I can not go through more time wasting. I'm 26 years old and I don't want to look back having wasted my time doing nothing during my 20s. My minds turning to mush and its my last chance to go back to full time uni in my mind.

Come on people, someone has to know an informed councilor in IT area.. Hell any good guidance councilor will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Not specifically geared towards IT but ETC Consult in Dublin are really good. I went to them a couple of years ago and they got me on track.

martinaoe2 wrote: »
    Come on people, someone has to know an informed councilor in IT area.. Hell any good guidance councilor will do.

You might get more answers if we change the thread title to "Looking for a career counsellor in the IT area" or something.

Report this post if you want it changed (I think you can't change it yourself ).

Co-mods, fyi, am not doing it yet so that the OP can still find his/her post!

You might get more answers if we change the thread title to "Looking for a career counsellor in the IT area" or something.

Report this post if you want it changed (I think you can't change it yourself ).

Co-mods, fyi, am not doing it yet so that the OP can still find his/her post!

I can't change the title unfortunately :( forgive me for my poor title.

martinaoe2 wrote: »
    I can't change the title unfortunately :( forgive me for my poor title.

yeah, but we can :D

thanks to Nody or whoever did this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 grazzer

Hey,
    I've been in the very same position as you, graduated two years ago from a degree I've lost interest in and really wasn't right for me. I've spent the last two years floating about working in an unskilled job and hating it. I recently left that job and had a huge panic about what I want to do with the rest of my life. I went to a guidance counsellor in Kildare last week who is excellent. Together we figured out what I was good at and really wanted to do, and he put me on the right track for getting there. We're staying in contact and if it hits the fan at any stage I know I can call him and he'll be able to give sound advice. I really can't recommend him enough, I feel like a weight has been lifted.
    PM me if you'd like his details, he really is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You have a Degree in Electrical Engineering. Maybe you could have a look at C and C++. It could be a start and would be a step into the IT Industry if that is a path you want to follow. I spent a few years bouncing around in the IT Industry looking for something that suits me. It may not take you as long.

You could always have a look into Graduate C/C++ roles where you could also put your Electrical Engineering to use with the primary focus of the role on your Degree. From there you could build on experience and develop a career in IT.

I would say, you should find a Counselor and talk through what interests you and the paths you could take to discovering what your passion in life. It takes time and you'll get there, just give it time.

Advertisement