Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value for money places to stay in Dublin

Options
  • 10-09-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi am going to start a job in Dublin and am looking for digs or cheap hotel from Monday to Friday I will be going home at weekends the rents are unreal in Dublin now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Best you can hope for is a room in a houseshare, have a look at Daft.ie

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you are really stuck, a 24 hour internet cafe and a few packets of baby wipes can work wonders. There is/was one on the south side of the Halfpenny Bridge where you could leave luggage/rucksack @ €7 per 24 hours. Probably just for a short night while waiting for a train/plane. :)

Seriously though...

As advised above, look for a house share. You could travel light and find a good tourist hostel for a week or two while you find your feet.

Digs are still available too. You will have/share a room, and probably get breakfast and an evening meal (no menu, eat it or don't is the usual option). Not a lot of privacy though, and don't even think of bringing anyone back. I'm sure digs/lodgings are still available, if not widely advertised. You could ask in local shops in an area which suits you, or even put up an old-fashioned ad in the same shops.

Also, check whether you have family/friends/acquaintances who live here already. If not, maybe someone in your wider network might know someone. You could find a berth that way, and it could help a lot with settling in.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Mind find dates that suit you on:

https://www.airbnb.ie/s/Dublin--Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Dighire4u wrote: »
    Hi am going to start a job in Dublin and am looking for digs or cheap hotel from Monday to Friday I will be going home at weekends the rents are unreal in Dublin now.
    Define cheap?

What's your budget for accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dighire4u

DLMA23 wrote: »
    Define cheap?

What's your budget for accommodation?

I hope to get somewhere for 150 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What part of Dublin?

Have you looked at the Sharing listings on Daft?

600 euros a month is good budget. You should be able to get something decent in a shared house or apartment for that, as long as you don't expect to be in the heart of the city centre. It is no longer legal to rent out bedsits, so there are a lot less of old fashioned digs around that there used to be. There are still private landlords/ladies out there, who rent out spare rooms in their house Mon-Fri, to students mostly. I don't know how you find them on the internet. Noticeboards in local shops, or colleges/universities near where you want to live/work, would be worth checking.

Advertisement