Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rat in my shed

• 10-09-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys went into my shed yesterday to be greeted by a rat running across the floor in just wondering whats the best course of action to get rid of him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

First and most important thing is to find out how he's getting into the shed and block off that hole/conduit etc. Wear good thick gloves and be thorough. A rat can get in through a hole the size of your thumb :( There's a good chance that he's not actually living in the shed at all and is just coming and going. If that's not possible get your preferred method of dispatch - poison or trap - and follow the instructions carefully, especially if you have pets and small children around. For poison the best is usually granular, in a container like an old biscuit tin with a small hole cut for access. Keep replenishing the poison as long as it keeps disappearing. If you use a block of poison you need to secure it in the tin or else the rat won't eat it but will take it away and just store it.
    Long term, there will always be rats around and you need to secure the shed against them.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's a rat in my kitchen,
    What am I going to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I would recommend putting a cat in your shed. if you dont have your own can you borrow a neighbours cat. Only some cats are good rat killers but the smell of cat is a great rat deterent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you don't have access to a cat or a terrier a good snap trap is the way to go - instant dispatch. I've had good results baiting mousetraps with hot buttered toast, but I've heard that the warm rind off a rasher is also good, and some people swear by melting chocolate onto the board. Either put it in a biscuit tin with a couple of holes cut in it or somewhere you can be sure you won't accidentally put your fingers because it will break them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Get rat poison in a co-op or similar agricultural shop. Way cheaper.

Cut up some pipes, about 2 ft long. Put rat poison in the center of the tubes. Put the tubes around the garden, in the undergrowth where rats might run. Make sure it's well away from children and pets. Check them every few days and top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Big Nasty wrote: »
    What am I going to do?
    I'm gonna kill dat rat,
    dats wat I'm gonna do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Big Nasty wrote: »
    What am I going to do?

Rat soup is meant to be tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Put some "Storm" pellets in the corner of the shed and keep topping up until it stops being eaten. The rat will be gone.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement