Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised beds.....what next?

• 10-09-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I recently decided to tidy up the garden and dug up a row of slabs that had been down when we moved in to the house last year and put down some raised beds.

I followed the directions that were given on a thread here and all went pretty much to plan. Sourced some free topsoil from a bloke on adverts.ie and after a couple of runs in the car its just about full.

The thing is, I am an absolute novice at gardening and dont really know what the next move is. I had a few onions there, they turned out alright, would it be hassle to go half and half veg/flowers?

I was thinking maybe a few herbs, suppose some flowers or plants for a bit of colour, but i have no idea if there needs to be a plan in place or just throw down whatevers going.

Anybody any ideas? Are plants going to cost an arm and a leg?
    Do i need to get some compost/mulch down?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bulbs wouldn't be mad expensive, depending on what yiu got. Aldi and lidl are stocking them at the moment as well.

Do you want veg?

You could pick up a couple of hardy supermarket herbs in pots too. Chives, bay, thyme or rosemary. The soft ones wouldn't survive the winter.... Basil, coriander, and mint would be too invasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

pwurple wrote: »
    Bulbs wouldn't be mad expensive, depending on what yiu got. Aldi and lidl are stocking them at the moment as well.

Do you want veg?

You could pick up a couple of hardy supermarket herbs in pots too. Chives, bay, thyme or rosemary. The soft ones wouldn't survive the winter.... Basil, coriander, and mint would be too invasive.

Thanks. Im not really that pushed on veg, the herbs and plants will probably do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Garlic can be planted now if you were interested..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Here's a good starting list, these plants are not expensive but will repay you in bucket loads of seasonal colour:

Herbaceous:
    Leucanthemum 'Broadway Lights'
    Rudbeckia Goldsturm
    Salvia Ostfriesland
    Helenium Moerheim Beauty
    Echinacea Magnus
    Echinacea White Swan
    Verbena Bonarensis Lollipop

Evergreen Ground cover:
    Heuchera Obsidian
    Rosemary Prostratus
    Santolina Lemon Fizz
    Ceanothus Repens
    Pittosporum Tom Thumb
    Libertia Gold Finger

Ornamental Grasses
    Carex Evergold
    Ophiopogon nigrescens
    Acorus Oghon
    Stipa Tenuissima 'Ponytails'
    Liriope muscari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Here's a good starting list, these plants are not expensive but will repay you in bucket loads of seasonal colour:

Herbaceous:
    Leucanthemum 'Broadway Lights'
    Rudbeckia Goldsturm
    Salvia Ostfriesland
    Helenium Moerheim Beauty
    Echinacea Magnus
    Echinacea White Swan
    Verbena Bonarensis Lollipop

Evergreen Ground cover:
    Heuchera Obsidian
    Rosemary Prostratus
    Santolina Lemon Fizz
    Ceanothus Repens
    Pittosporum Tom Thumb
    Libertia Gold Finger

Ornamental Grasses
    Carex Evergold
    Ophiopogon nigrescens
    Acorus Oghon
    Stipa Tenuissima 'Ponytails'
    Liriope muscari

good choices. Rem plant herbaceous plants in little groups for best effect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement