Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What items do "grown ups" usually have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

The only "ornaments" I currently have are two Coke bottles with our names in the fireplace. The day I get a china figurine or clock or something I'll consider myself grown up.

haha, we have our bottles in the kitchen. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

A wooden spoon that's not used for cooking, just for threatening.

Usually in a special drawer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Old habits I guess, I wouldn't wire a plug without one. Or a lighter.

Especially since sometimes having to use strip connectors thanks to the aforementioned EU.

Every time I see a phase tester I lob it in the bin, dangerous things. What's the lighter for? Only thing I can think of is for stripping back the cable to get at the copper, surely a knife would be better?

DDC1990 wrote: »

It was used for more than threatening in my house when I was younger!!

In my mid twenties now so not so much anymore...

I'll add a good waterproof raincoat or jacket.

I have lots of coats and jackets of various styles, but only recently got one that was actually waterproof.

Need to get some waterproof shoes next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Candie wrote: »
    A Hornby type one or a Santa Express type one?

Nawwwwwwwwwwww A real one with several chuff chuffs going through mountain passes, and a signals and a couple of stations - but these days I'm too boring and sensible :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Kettle descaler.
    Potted plants (alive ones)
    Fire blanket (unused)
    A 'handy wee knife' that gets used for everything.

Table mats

Sauve wrote: »
    Kettle descaler.
    Potted plants (alive ones)
    Fire blanket (unused)
    A 'handy wee knife' that gets used for everything.

I've no kettle descaler or potted plants, although I do want to buy some of those herb potted things.

I have a special knife for chopping my fruit and veg and won't use any other.
    I also have a particular spoon that I like to eat yogurt with, and a particular bowl that I eat stew from, and a smaller oddly shaped bowl that I reserve for noodles.

Not sure if this grown up or just weird?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Not sure if this grown up or just weird?

High five :D
    I have a 'cornflakes bowl' and a 'porridge bowl' and a 'pasta dinner plate'. Different mugs for when I'm sad and happy, and don't even get me started on cutlery...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Every time I see a phase tester I lob it in the bin, dangerous things.

Dafuq??? And messing with the wrong tools on electricity isn't???

I'll have to learn to drive first! I know some people think it's ridiculous that an adult never learnt to drive, but so far I've just never had to and I also couldn't afford to run a car. I will learn them some day though I'd say. Would be handy for when doing a big shopping.

I cant understand why anyone past the age of 17 hasn't a driving license. You shouldn't have the right to vote until you know the difference between there, their, and they're, same for where / were, and until you have a driving license!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

What items do "grown ups" usually have?

Annoying brats that they advertise as if for sale on their Facebook pages.
    Negative Equity that they brought upon themselves.
    A fantasy about having an affair.
    A wife that is turning into her mother.
    A face that is turning into your father.
    Murderous thoughts about the boss.
    The latent fantasy that its not too late to be a movie/rock star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Every time I see a phase tester I lob it in the bin, dangerous things. What's the lighter for? Only thing I can think of is for stripping back the cable to get at the copper, surely a knife would be better?
    Yep. As I always say, 'if you haven't burnt the tips of your fingers, you haven't done a good enough job'.:P

Knives are dangerous things, shouldn't be in any house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ah here I thought it was "grown up" not "Hyacinth Bucket" with ye're matching delph and fine china and whatnot.

I have one of those little ball things you put the washing powder and a cupboard especially assigned for broken lightbulbs and puncture repairs kits (no bicycle though). Also a key for reading the electricity meter in case the ESB forgets who's boss.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Aldi had a sale on hurls the other week so I upgraded my wooden spoon. I've never played, or intend to play hurling ever in my life.

• Advertisement

Drawer full of plastic bags for the shopping.

Lenin Skynard - your post reminded me of fabric softner. Something I never used to consider buying years ago but love the smell of it now and using it for soft fluffy things like my dressing gown. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Aldi had a sale on hurls the other week so I upgraded my wooden spoon. I've never played, or intend to play hurling ever in my life.

A now , now you are leaving Irish mammy land and entering physcotic mother from hell with nine inch nails

fabric softner.

That's pretty extravagant but a wooly jumper just isn't the same if it doesn't smell like a meadow in the springtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

newmug wrote: »

I cant understand why anyone past the age of 17 hasn't a driving license. You shouldn't have the right to vote until you know the difference between there, their, and they're, same for where / were, and until you have a driving license!

I had no one to teach me as a teenager, and couldn't afford lessons cos of college fees,rent and living expenses.Recently got a learner permit and am now struggling to afford the 12 mandatory lessons!

Me neither but they make great wackers :)

• Advertisement

newmug wrote: »

I don't use the wrong tools. I'm an electrician by trade

Drawer full of plastic bags for the shopping.

Lenin Skynard - your post reminded me of fabric softner. Something I never used to consider buying years ago but love the smell of it now and using it for soft fluffy things like my dressing gown. :)

You can buy scented water to put in your iron.

I love fabric softener, towels just aren't the same unless they have an artificial whiff of meadows and sunshine rinsed in.:) Dryer sheets do the same job if you don't dry things outdoors.

A supply of stamps, notepaper and envelopes is a good grown-up thing to have too. And a caddy of (working) ball point pens and a notepad beside the phone.

And a caddy of (working) ball point pens and a notepad beside the phone.

This has a tendency to result in doodles everywhere though, especially after long phone calls. The man on the cover of the phone book ends up with glasses, buck teeth, sideburns and a hitler moustache.

I always enjoy it when this happens. :)

This should be POTD :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

"grown ups" have:
    maturity.
    they have every cleaning product available.
    they keep things "just in case".
    they have bags in bags.

they might even have an address book :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Set of wine glasses
    Proper whisky glasses
    The right beer glasses for different beer types
    A pouch with BBQ utensils

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

1. A pension
    2. A mortgage
    3. A spouse
    4. Sprogs
    5. 3.5 tins of magnolia, of varying hues
    6. White spirit
    7. Matching pillows and duvet sets

8. The inner belief/delusion that you are still young...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Skirting ladder.

Their is such a thing.

You can buy scented water to put in your iron.

I love fabric softener, towels just aren't the same unless they have an artificial whiff of meadows and sunshine rinsed in.:) Dryer sheets do the same job if you don't dry things outdoors.

A supply of stamps, notepaper and envelopes is a good grown-up thing to have too. And a caddy of (working) ball point pens and a notepad beside the phone.

I can't remember the last time I ironed something but it sounds like a good idea.:o
    I have lots of stationary but no house phone.

So many things on this thread I should stock up on. There are a lot of things I would like to get but keep just thinking I'll get around to it "eventually." Could definitely do with making my house look more grown up /homely.

Some others I thought of are:

A coffee table - Sounds basic but I still need one.

Framed art of some sort.

Nice cushions and a throw for the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Staplor

A bucket for outside jobs like cleaning the gutters.
    You'll also have something that cost "big money"
    You'll refer to something as the "good" xyz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Good towels for guests.

A winter coat.

Shopping lists.

A pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

Ruu wrote: »
    Waterford/Cavan Crystal.....everywhere. :)

Lol! Ansly! (Possibly Denby if your posh) and kings pattern cutlery

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Preparation H in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

A burning desire to be an adult so you can do all the fun things in life that you can only do because you are an adult, but with the same responsibilities as a baby or dog

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

a lifetime of experience hard earned

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Good towels for guests.

A winter coat.

Shopping lists.

A pension.

We only have winter coats. If the sun comes out we say "What will I wear?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

A good bed with good sheets and not a cheap piece of crap from Ikea with sheets from the same.

So that writes me off as a proper adult then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bleach
    Household cleaning wipes
    Cleaning spray

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Vasectomies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Someone who carries "postage stamps" in their wallet, in case they need to post a "letter", that's the definition of a grown-up to me.

In fact, I'd stretch that to include anyone who even knows how much a stamp costs these days.

(FYI it went up from 60c to 68c quite recently. I have two 60c stamps and three 8c stamps in my wallet, I don't know how or why they got there, I don't know when I'll ever use them, and it really bugs me that the third 8c stamp will never be used. :mad:)

This should be POTD :p

About twenty five years ago my uncle was lying in the sun in Hyde Park waiting for his wife, when a TV crew went up to him - he was embarrassed because he had his shirt off - stuck a mike in his face and told him they were filming a segment for the 6 o clock news and weather on global warming.

The presenter turned to the camera and said:

"Today we're investigating just how much the average Briton knows about the ozone layer, and so far it's disappointing just how little people know about such a vital subject!", turned to my uncle and said very slowly like you would to a kid:

"Tell me Sir, would you honestly know what I meant if I told you that the ozone layer was depleted and that it causes weather change?"

"Yes, I would" says my uncle, squinting up at her. "I'm a lecturer in particle physics at Cambridge"

It was live too.

About twenty five years ago my uncle was lying in the sun in Hyde Park waiting for his wife, when a TV crew went up to him - he was embarrassed because he had his shirt off - stuck a mike in his face and told him they were filming a segment for the 6 o clock news and weather on global warming.

"Today we're investigating just how much the average Briton knows about the ozone layer, and so far it's disappointing just how little people know about such a vital subject!", turned to my uncle and said very slowly like you would to a kid:

"Tell me Sir, would you honestly know what I meant if I told you that the ozone layer was depleted and that it causes weather change?"

"Yes, I would" says my uncle, squinting up at her. "I'm a lecturer in particle physics in Cambridge"

It was live too.

Brilliant. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

A key to the electricity meter box.

A fish slice, several corkscrews and at least 1 tin opener in the cutlery drawer.

A toilet brush.

A yard brush.

A stick for measuring the depth of kerosene in the oil tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

"Yes, I would" says my uncle, squinting up at her. "I'm a lecturer in particle physics in Cambridge"

It was live too.

Oooooooh BUUUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNN!!! I LOVE this story!! Would love to see a copy of that clip!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Someone who carries "postage stamps" in their wallet, in case they need to post a "letter", that's the definition of a grown-up to me.

In fact, I'd stretch that to include anyone who even knows how much a stamp costs these days.

(FYI it went up from 60c to 68c quite recently. I have two 60c stamps and three 8c stamps in my wallet, I don't know how or why they got there, I don't know when I'll ever use them, and it really bugs me that the third 8c stamp will never be used. :mad:)

I had a couple of 82 cent stamps for the Uk, then An Post put the price up to 1 euro a couple of weeks after I bought them.:mad:

Oooooooh BUUUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNN!!! I LOVE this story!! Would love to see a copy of that clip!

We've often searched youtube but no joy. It was 25 years ago, and is one of those stories that gets told every Xmas. I'd love to see it myself. :)

I had a couple of 82 cent stamps for the Uk, then An Post put the price up to 1 euro a couple of weeks after I bought them.:mad:

Can't you get an 18c stamp?

We could have a whip round :)

We've often searched youtube but no joy. It was 25 years ago, and is one of those stories that gets told every Xmas. I'd love to see it myself. :)

Completely OT - I should be banned

In 1969 I was on the BBC at Christmas singing some $hoite. My wife tried to get a copy from the Beeb for my M&D.

The Beeb had no clue and sadly too late now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

A tripadvisor map with 300 entries.
    A blood pressure monitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement