Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What items do "grown ups" usually have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

A stick whose sole purpose in life is to stir paint.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A 3 day hangover instead of the few hours long one I had when I was younger!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

I have a wooden spoon that I use the handle of to stir paint. Not quite the same but close enough! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Paint*

* excludes poster paint and spraying graffiti paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Candie wrote: »
    About twenty five years ago my uncle was lying in the sun in Hyde Park waiting for his wife, when a TV crew went up to him - he was embarrassed because he had his shirt off - stuck a mike in his face and told him they were filming a segment for the 6 o clock news and weather on global warming.

The presenter turned to the camera and said:

"Today we're investigating just how much the average Briton knows about the ozone layer, and so far it's disappointing just how little people know about such a vital subject!", turned to my uncle and said very slowly like you would to a kid:

"Tell me Sir, would you honestly know what I meant if I told you that the ozone layer was depleted and that it causes weather change?"

"Yes, I would" says my uncle, squinting up at her. "I'm a lecturer in particle physics at Cambridge"

It was live too.

And was he a lecturer in particle physics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Completely OT - I should be banned

In 1969 I was on the BBC at Christmas singing some $hoite. My wife tried to get a copy from the Beeb for my M&D.

The Beeb had no clue and sadly too late now :(

Tell them Jimmy Saville was holding your hand Paul Gadd was a runner on the show and Harry Webb was the star of the show

They will find the clip or give u a shire load of wonga to EFF off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

And another stick to poke at the flourescant light the buzzing gets too loud.

Minera wrote: »
    And was he a lecturer in particle physics?

He still is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

A slow cooker
    Le crueset cast iron pots
    Nicholas Mosse teapot, sugar bowl milk jug and butterdish
    Decent wine glasses, red & white
    Whiskey tumblers
    Brandy glasses
    Always have a torch handy & charged
    Egyptian Cotton sheets
    Decent tablecloth
    Nicholas Mosse candle holder which holds dinner candles one end & thick candles the other

Linen napkins
    Expensive rugs and mats - latest purchases to make sure they all finally match
    Wine decanter or nice jug

Finally, good slippers are a certainty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    A slow cooker
    Whiskey tumblers
    Brandy glasses
    Egyptian Cotton sheets
    Decent tablecloth
    Nicholas Mosse candle holder which holds dinner candles one end & thick candles the other

Linen napkins

Apart from the wine glasses and the Egyptian cotton sheets, I fail at being a grown up.

Awesome :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Apart from the wine glasses and the Egyptian cotton sheets, I fail at being a grown up.

Awesome :D

I think I failed at being a grown up a long time ago in this thread. Missing so much stuff. :D

Not enough attention is being paid to cutlery here.

Decent cutlery made from 18/10 gauge stainless steel (silver is too high maintenance) feels good in the hand. Pressed steel is miserable stuff.

I think I failed at being a grown up a long time ago in this thread. Missing so much stuff. :D

In fairness, ivory backscratchers and obsidian candlesticks aren't things that grown ups usually have.

"Nicholas Mosse teapot"? Ah here...

In fairness, ivory backscratchers and obsidian candlesticks aren't things that grown ups usually have.

"Nicholas Mosse teapot"? Ah here...

Grown ups don't limit themselves to specific brands! They're horrible teapots imo. They're patterned as though they have one of those knitted hats already on them.

https://www.giftvenue.com/images/T/nicholas%20mosse%20pottery%20wild%20meadow%20flower%20teapot%20p7.jpg

My granny has a few similar.

Plain white porcelain is the biz, never goes out of style and is easy to match. You never see patterned china in fine restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

spare fuses

They're horrible teapots imo.

To be honest I thought Nicholas Moss was a specific type of tea that you needed a special teapot to make when I read that post. I imagine visiting that poster's house for a cup of tea would be a bit like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

ooh good question..
    petrol can in the boot of the car, although by the time you have the where-with-all to purchase this item, you have either mastered filling up before you run out or achieved the financial independence to not need to drive on the light...!

Towels, some are for best, some are only for guests, some are for hair colouring and that one really scabby one you have for mopping up when the washing machine or freezer packs up.

A shoe polish box, complete with tins of cherry blossom, suede brush, trainer whitener and a nubuck sponge...whatever the fcuk that is.

And finally that bastion of maturity that is the kitchen implement drawer, resplendent with the following items..egg separator, pasta measurer, garlic press, melon-baller and one individual latte spoon (only one mind, a full set is borderline pretentious)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 wakeboarding

Definitely a good set of pots and pans....I've had mine for over 20 years and a good wife to cook you a nice meal using them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cushions, lots of fncking cushions.
    A bottle of Baileys in the fridge.
    Hello! magazine.
    A tape measure for when the washing machine gives up the ghost & you need to make sure that the new one fits in the same space in the utility room.
    The gynecologist on speed dial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sensible grown ups have a water butt or two attached to the down pipes. Yay. Wash the car, water the flowers and be frugal with Irish feckin Water.

My darling mother's press has boxes and boxes of washing powder, dishwasher tablets, washing up liquid, and so on. The war is nigh.

Not to mention three irons, two kettles, fifty million mugs, plates, cutlery. And a freezer full of goodies (the war). Then there are the fifty million towels, duvet sets (never opened), tea towels, paper towels, and of course the ice cube bags, the toaster and roasting bags. Jeez my god.

And as for toilet roll... Well when the SH!t hits the fan she can sort out the whole neighbourhood.

I love visiting her, cos I always come away with a bagful of "stuff"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Not enough attention is being paid to cutlery here.

Decent cutlery made from 18/10 gauge stainless steel (silver is too high maintenance) feels good in the hand. Pressed steel is miserable stuff.

pressed is manky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I feel grown up because
    - now I buy "good" washing powder and "good fabric softener" and not the cheapest I can find like I would have in college.
    - we never run out of loo roll
    - at the min our money is going on retiling the kitchen and bathroom floor downstairs with glazed porcelain tiles, tiles for between the units and debating on whether or not we replace the kick boards with tiles or leave it timber, and when I get back from holiday I'm actually looking forward to sanding down the units and respraying them. With the bathroom I'm excited having the power shower taken out and a rain head shower being put in. I'm enjoying spending my days off looking at counter tops, tiles and furniture.

What's worse is I'm enjoying it and excited about it. What have I becone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I feel grown up because
    - now I buy "good" washing powder and "good fabric softener" and not the cheapest I can find like I would have in college.
    - we never run out of loo roll
    - at the min our money is going on retiling the kitchen and bathroom floor downstairs with glazed porcelain tiles, tiles for between the units and debating on whether or not we replace the kick boards with tiles or leave it timber, and when I get back from holiday I'm actually looking forward to sanding down the units and respraying them. With the bathroom I'm excited having the power shower taken out and a rain head shower being put in. I'm enjoying spending my days off looking at counter tops, tiles and furniture.

What's worse is I'm enjoying it and excited about it. What have I becone

I just knew for was a good thing about getting older.

Thats it the loo rolls.

Wasn't it just a b4stard to run out, just when .....

I just knew for was a good thing about getting older.

Thats it the loo rolls.

Wasn't it just a b4stard to run out, just when .....

My mother will sort you out. She has toilet rolls that will last until the next millennium.

I love that woman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Page 7 and not one mention of a good bottle of whiskey in the press?! :( /hangs head...

I know there's been a few mentions of decent tumblers (and they were my default present for any of the lads when they bought their first place) but for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, ya need a decent drop to go in them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

That one drawer that everything is put in and is the first place you look for anything. It will have batteries of all size most being dead but still counts. Matches, lighter, fuses and important instruction manuals. post that looks important so you just put it in there or basically anything that you think may be useful at anytime in the future.

A selection of spare bulbs and flashlights.
    Loads of fancy glasses that can't be used normally because there waterford crystal or something along them lines normally in some kind of a glass fronted display Cabinet.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Page 7 and not one mention of a good bottle of whiskey in the press?! :( /hangs head...

I know there's been a few mentions of decent tumblers (and they were my default present for any of the lads when they bought their first place) but for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, ya need a decent drop to go in them!

The drink is hidden in the hot press FGS. To keep it away from the visiting offspring. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An address book
    A tin with broken bits of old watches
    Key for bleeding the radiators
    Memorial cards
    Clothes that were bought 4 decades ago
    A hair net
    Cabbage

Strumms wrote: »
    An address book
    A tin with broken bits of old watches
    Key for bleeding the radiators
    Memorial cards
    Clothes that were bought 4 decades ago
    A hair net
    Cabbage

I think you're confusing 'grown-up' with 'nursing home resident' here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My darling mother's press has boxes and boxes of washing powder, dishwasher tablets, washing up liquid, and so on. The war is nigh.

Not to mention three irons, two kettles, fifty million mugs, plates, cutlery. And a freezer full of goodies (the war). Then there are the fifty million towels, duvet sets (never opened), tea towels, paper towels, and of course the ice cube bags, the toaster and roasting bags. Jeez my god.

And as for toilet roll... Well when the SH!t hits the fan she can sort out the whole neighbourhood.

I love visiting her, cos I always come away with a bagful of "stuff"!

Lol my mother says I think her house is tesco only much cheaper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think you're confusing 'grown-up' with 'nursing home resident' here. :)

There be a fine line at some point, for us all :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sleepy wrote: »

I got my litre of Jameson in Spain, lots of Whiskey in my cupboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

INSURANCE :(

Lots of f**king insurance - I have house insurance(contents and buildings) , car insurance, Mortgage Protection Insurance, Health Insurance (the really dear kind) - and that's without even having any actual life insurance.

The really depressing thing is I am old enough and cynical enough to assume that if something bad happens none of my Policies will cover it or it won't be worth my while claiming because my premiums will go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Beano wrote: »
    you can thank the EU. anything that needs a plug now has to have one moulded on.

Yep. Smart move, EU. Because now, rather than smash a plastic plug with a lump hammer. Or unscrew a rubber one. We ~ who would recycle the brass contained within ~ have to Melt the fukkers! :rolleyes:

There's 'Green'. Ye fukking EU ****! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Never used wedding presents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Bpmull wrote: »
    That one drawer that everything is put in and is the first place you look for anything. It will have batteries of all size most being dead but still counts. Matches, lighter, fuses and important instruction manuals. post that looks important so you just put it in there or basically anything that you think may be useful at anytime in the future..

That's the downstairs drawer, there's also an upstairs version where you keep your birth cert, passport, nct cert, insurance details and leaving cert results from 30 years ago. And nothing you actually need is ever in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

A good scissors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    A slow cooker
    Whiskey tumblers
    Brandy glasses
    Egyptian Cotton sheets
    Decent tablecloth

Linen napkins

Have none of those things, apart from a whiskey tumbler which I probably nicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

- 7 tins of paint in the shed with 15% left in them, 4 of which have a skin on the paint.
    - Old concert tickets in a drawer.
    - A dusty sock behind a bedroom chest.
    - A rusty bike in the garage full of webs and 2 flat tyres.
    - A set of allen keys with at least 1 missing.
    - 200 downloaded movies but have only watch 6 of them.
    - A kitchen corner press in the lower corner full of crap thats never used.
    - Some keys in the knives and forks drawer that nobody has a clue what they are for.
    - A newspaper in the attic from September 12th, 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

OLd gadgets,in a press,eg food mixer, that you never use,
    old,phones, chargers you have, you dont know what item they charge.
    OLD vhs,or audio cassettes you,ll never use again.
    NOW every one has a phone or mp3 player.
    Some old suit ,jacket ,thats now to small for you to wear,
    unless you lose 20 pounds.
    Actual letters,on paper,
    from friends,relatives,
    people use to write letters before email,facebook was invented.
    Photo albums with family,photos,in them.
    not just photos on a pc,laptop.
    Presents in a box,
    you have no use for ,and don,t like.

• Advertisement

A sewing kit with threads in a few colors, needles, a stitch ripper, some no-sew hemming tape, and some spare shirt buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Debt.
    I feel less alone now. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Why is everyone answering as though it's the 1970s?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

years of resentment.

a spare headlight bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TogCuig

A tool box with a random assortment of tools of varying age all of which are quite dirty and just a little bit greasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A bowl where the fruit goes to rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

riclad wrote: »
    OLd gadgets,in a press,eg food mixer, that you never use,
    old,phones, chargers you have, you dont know what item they charge.
    OLD vhs,or audio cassettes you,ll never use again.
    NOW every one has a phone or mp3 player.
    Some old suit ,jacket ,thats now to small for you to wear,
    unless you lose 20 pounds.
    Actual letters,on paper,
    from friends,relatives,
    people use to write letters before email,facebook was invented.
    Photo albums with family,photos,in them.
    not just photos on a pc,laptop.
    Presents in a box,
    you have no use for ,and don,t like.

Feck, we have literally every item there in our house! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

About twenty five years ago my uncle was lying in the sun in Hyde Park waiting for his wife, when a TV crew went up to him - he was embarrassed because he had his shirt off - stuck a mike in his face and told him they were filming a segment for the 6 o clock news and weather on global warming.

The presenter turned to the camera and said:

"Today we're investigating just how much the average Briton knows about the ozone layer, and so far it's disappointing just how little people know about such a vital subject!", turned to my uncle and said very slowly like you would to a kid:

"Tell me Sir, would you honestly know what I meant if I told you that the ozone layer was depleted and that it causes weather change?"

"Yes, I would" says my uncle, squinting up at her. "I'm a lecturer in particle physics at Cambridge"

It was live too.

Here he is at 5:12

Plain bed clothes only.

Because they don't make little miss sunshine ones in 500 thread count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

A cabinet full of booze that didn't come from Aldi.
    A decent pair of wellies, which you no longer grow out of every year.

Advertisement