Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What items do "grown ups" usually have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

A credit card, with a massive limit, which is only used occasionally and paid off in full every month.

A cheese board, with the fancy cheese knife thingy.

Board games.

"Lounging" clothes, i.e. comfortable clothes just for wearing around the house, instead of wearing PJs or nothing, like the rest of us.

Superglue. Just in case. (In case of what, I'm not sure.)

Potpourri. And a selection of special containers for said potpourri.

A "real" computer (as opposed to a laptop), along with a printer, and a stash of spare ink for the printer. Oh and of course a special computer desk, and special swivel chair.

Ornaments. Strategically and artistically placed ornaments. That get dusted on at least a semi-regular basis.

Christmas tree lights in the attic, which are neatly coiled to make them easy to unravel next time around. And a few spare bulbs, in a little plastic bag stapled to the box containing the lights. Oh, and a stapler. (And spare staples.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TogCuig

kowloon wrote: »
    A bowl where the fruit goes to rot.

Far to true!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

At least 4 internet connected devices for each member of the household

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

One of those accordion style folders for holding bank statements, tax certs and other 'crucial' documents from 5 years ago that you will never need.

A small tin of spare buttons belonging to clothes you already threw away, and another full of curtain hooks. I don't own these things yet, but I will if/when I turn into my mother someday :(

I thought I became a grownup this year because I bought a fancy vacuum cleaner, read over the 'getting started' instruction diagram and now know what all its attachments are for. Now that I've had to Google some of the things mentioned on this thread, so I don't feel so old any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Several tins of years old john west salmon in the food press in the kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Bidd

Christmas tree lights in the attic, which are neatly coiled to make them easy to unravel next time around. And a few spare bulbs, in a little plastic bag stapled to the box containing the lights. Oh, and a stapler. (And spare staples.)

Our Christmas lights are never neatly coiled. We can never find the spare white bulb either. Usually end up buying another set/sets. Must mean we're not "grown-up". Yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Im 24 and out on my own now working. I want a ps4 and I could afford it, but now that it's my own money that I will be spending im very reluctant to spend that much money on a games console....am I an adult now?....am I doing it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's funny how so many of us have Egyptian cotton sheets. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Im 24 and out on my own now working. I want a ps4 and I could afford it, but now that it's my own money that I will be spending im very reluctant to spend that much money on a games console....am I an adult not?....am I doing it right?

You are and when you get a bit older you can have a second childhood and splash out on really big toys:
    • Boats
    • motorbikes - not for travelling anywhere
    • cars with ridiculous power to weight ratios
    • quad that don't go near a farm
    • jetskis :D

I love lists :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Prostate exams [men].

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I feel grown up because
    - now I buy "good" washing powder and "good fabric softener" and not the cheapest I can find like I would have in college.
    - we never run out of loo roll
    - at the min our money is going on retiling the kitchen and bathroom floor downstairs with glazed porcelain tiles, tiles for between the units and debating on whether or not we replace the kick boards with tiles or leave it timber, and when I get back from holiday I'm actually looking forward to sanding down the units and respraying them. With the bathroom I'm excited having the power shower taken out and a rain head shower being put in. I'm enjoying spending my days off looking at counter tops, tiles and furniture.

What's worse is I'm enjoying it and excited about it. What have I becone

The excitement will wear off once the mess and tediousness of it kicks in. I felt all happy about the decorating we were doing, by the second day we were both tired and grumpy and overwhelmed by the smell of gloss paint. I still have to buy curtains for the kitchen, have the carpets cleaned, the chimney will just have to wait to be relined as the roof needs to be replaced, the bathroom needs painting and our bedroom needs painting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

An old Libby's Orange C bottle with about €8 in small change in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I can see a time in 10 years where you go to someones house ,there s no lps,cds, books,on a shelf,

everything is on my tablet,phone.

ONLY old people will still have physical media .
    A drawer with old phones in it,eg nokia 3310,
    not smartphones .
    BOardgames which are maybe used at xmas or never used since the kids left home.

It's funny how so many of us have Egyptian cotton sheets. :)

Once you've felt them against your skin once, you can't be having none of that polycotton carry on. No siree bob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

10,000,000 tea lights

450,000 devices and apparatuses to hold said tea lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

String or twine.

I'm getting a skip and throwing out all my grown up stuff cos this is very sad.

Oh yeh, there's another one; skips - and not the prawn cocktail kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

riclad wrote: »
    I can see a time in 10 years where you go to someones house ,there s no lps,cds, books,on a shelf,
    I don't know, ten years sounds like a very optimistic timeframe to expect that stuff to be thrown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Adult nappies for the incontinence.

I agree on the bedsheets, good quality ones are amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Porcelain birds. I have a set of these in my sitting room

A back scratcher/shoehorn all in one

Spare fuse dust/fuse wire for your fuse board along with more porcelain fuses

Chimney sweeping canes and various heads

A choice of ladders

A fireplace set

One of these coal boxes

Wait, I'm living in the early 70's :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Several pairs of glasses, ones for reading, ones for distance vision, spare ones in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Disprin, plasters, and a sticky, out-of-date bottle of gaviscon in the cupboard.

Sauve wrote: »
    Disprin, plasters, and a sticky, out-of-date bottle of gaviscon in the cupboard.

And good plasters at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

All grown ups need a smelly medicine cupboard full of random first aid stuff and expired drugs and birthday candles. It has to be chaotic because nobody looks in there when everyone'shealthy, and when someone is sick they're in no mood to carefully search for the painkiller/bandage that they need straight away.

As soon as the emergency is resolved (or after you get back from the trip to the chemist because you didn't have any calpol left after someone used up the end of the last bottle and just put it back in empty) you just close the door locking the smell and chaos inside until the next emergency arises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Akrasia wrote: »
    All grown ups need a smelly medicine cupboard full of random first aid stuff and expired drugs and birthday candles. It has to be chaotic because nobody looks in there when everyone'shealthy, and when someone is sick they're in no mood to carefully search for the painkiller/bandage that they need straight away.

As soon as the emergency is resolved (or after you get back from the trip to the chemist because you didn't have any calpol left after someone used up the end of the last bottle and just put it back in empty) you just close the door locking the smell and chaos inside until the next emergency arises

Oh :(

This is my house :(

Oh no, I tidy my medicine box :D

God I'm sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

a box with a **** load of Ikea 'spares'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Akrasia wrote: »

So funny :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

A proper mattress that you spent ages reading reviews on to make sure it had adequate lumber support

I always had cheap ones up until recently - this was nearly 1k :eek: (that's a lot of money to me) but I must say, no sore back since I got it

I felt like a proper adult when it was delivered :p

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

So from the top of my head some things I'm interested in now acquiring from this thread are:
    -Egyptian Sheets
    -Feather Pillow with a silk pillowcase
    -A good Dinner Set/Fancy Tablewear
    -A Cheese Board
    -A Medical Supply Container or Press
    -Leather Gloves
    -A container for Twine, Fuses, and Assorted Tools
    -Lawnmower
    -Key for Radiator
    -Key For ESB meter box
    -Fire Alarm Tester
    -A 'real' ladder
    -Stamps and Envelopes
    -A Fountain Pen
    -Sewing needles and thread (I might already have some lying about in my clutter drawer)
    -Some potted plants and herbs
    -Bicylce Puncture repair kit
    -A bbq and bbq utensils
    -A Stick for the oil tank
    -Some TripAdvisor Maps/Books
    -Whiskey and Brandy Tumblers
    -Linen Napkins
    -Shoe Polish and stuff for Suede shoes
    -Wellies
    -Ornaments
    -A new mattress

*Learn how to Sew
    *Learn how to Drive (someday)
    *Learn how to change a plug
    :D

The rest I either already have, or doesn't apply yet to me because have no kids, mortgage, and not married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Books, cd,s , maybe some round plastic discs ,vinyl records, they used to call em Lps.

That they bought in a shop,
    an emergency medical kit,
    a passport .
    A stereo ,or radio that plays music, without connecting to the internet.An old mp3 player that no one uses ,as every phone has a music player in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Bicycle shortZ

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Gravy boat. The shame....

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

A torch, a toolbox, actually a whole garage.
    A letter opener.
    Candles - just in case ... (you want to risk burning the house down)
    A special circular apparatus for hanging socks on a washing line.
    Coasters and place mats.
    The instruction manuals to all their appliances.
    Painting clothes.
    De-icer for the windscreen.
    A jar of change.
    Maps.

• Advertisement

A drawer where all instruction manuals and warranties are kept, with the receipts stapled to the warranties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Candie wrote: »
    A drawer where all instruction manuals and warranties are kept, with the receipts stapled to the warranties.

And a box to store all the extra cables, adaptors and other bits that you don't actually use with the things.

And a box to store all the extra cables, adaptors and other bits that you don't actually use with the things.

That all comes under the heading "Stuff that might come in useful, one day" and it gets it's own drawer. :)

Does that include all the random bits that fell off something but nobody knows what? Screws, washers, rubber studs from the bottom of something, the clicky buckle from some bag that you've lost.

Does that include all the random bits that fell off something but nobody knows what? Screws, washers, rubber studs from the bottom of something, the clicky buckle from some bag that you've lost.

And various caps and lids off unknown things that might show up yet. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

An ironing basket :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

An STD

Candie wrote: »
    And various caps and lids off unknown things that might show up yet. :)

And there shall in that time be rumours of things going astray, and there will be a great confusion as to where things really are, and nobody will really know where lieth those little things with the sort of raffia work base, that has an attachment…at this time, a friend shall lose his friends’s hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before around eight o’clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I still have a box full of vinyl LPs. I am convinced Elvis and "(Theres) No Room To Rhumba In a Sportscar"* will be my ticket out of this dump.

*Don't blame me - blame my mother. The woman could have seen the Beatles play Dublin and she buys this instead.

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

Inspired by this question that was asked by Ibetit in the "is this rude behavior?" thread, I thought I'd give it a thread of it's own.

Some good replies to that question so far in the other thread by
    Whoopsydaisydoodles: Matching Cutlery and Lawnmower,

and also by
    Jimgoose: a stick for mixing paint and lots of spare pillowcases. :D

I'm lacking a lawnmower from those suggestions, and not all of my cutlery matches, nor do all my pillowcases match either come to think of it.

I will add to the list:

One of those coin shaped things on your keyring for shopping trolleys.

Candles incase electricity goes out.

[I haven't gotten around to getting these yet but keep thinking that I probably should, they never would have crossed my mind when younger.]

Wow nice inspiration here. Let me think what I will have when I become a Grown Up...More old friends never contact, more relatives if I get married, more lines on my face...OMG I hate all of these:(

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭Ibetit

An ironing basket :(

Sorry can you explain it?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Stamps.

Unless you work in an office in which case you pop your post in the out tray and let the company pay for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

piles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

a matching milk jug, thats never normally used, but gets stealthily filled from the carton when theres visitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Oink wrote: »
    Gravy boat. The shame....

I have one of these. I don't even like gravy!!!!!! :confused:
    I also have a proper toolbox that gets added to periodically (whenever I need to do something and realise I've to go to B&Q for the bits), two rakes and a lawn edging tool.
    Oh, and a set of Christmas table settings with napkin rings, even though I never entertain at Christmas...

• Advertisement
Advertisement