Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA's week of football?

• 10-09-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

After the first glimpse of UEFA's new week of football, what are the early views and opinions of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I enjoyed it, got to watch 4 qualifiers which isn't something I could ever have said before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Great idea, it's a win win for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Boring as hell, international football is rubbish, apart from tournament latter stages or groups of death.

The Euro Qual groups, at worst, are "Group of a Mild Cold"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

CSF wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, got to watch 4 qualifiers which isn't something I could ever have said before.
    I'm the same. Got to watch more games than usual. When there was no football on the Saturday and Sunday between the Friday and Tuesday qualifiers, it only seemed an advantage for other sports to have the weekend headlines.

I had thought RTÉ, TV3 or Setanta would have looked for rights for some of the other games, as the have for the CL and/or EL. ITV4 had Czech Rep v Netherlands last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'm delighted its over, cant stand international breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There was no games on Saturday, the one day you really want a game on :(

However I know Ireland are playing on Saturday in the next round of games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'm delighted its over, cant stand international breaks.

Ah, you need a break from football every now and then
    :-D

Anything on tonight?:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah, you need a break from football every now and then
    :-D

Anything on tonight?:-(

Dover Athletic :(

Like it, unexpectedly.

However the top 2 going through each group is going to result in some very dull groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

kfallon wrote: »
    Dover Athletic :(

Ah for f*** sake. :-(

What channel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Poxy round of friendlies the midweek before should be done away with. If they're going to play twice they should have had 2 qualifiers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sucks big time.

Just to add, that the games are spread out so much means players are traipsing back to their clubs over a number of days in the run up to the next league game. This can't really help preparations and assessments of players knocks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Poxy round of friendlies the midweek before should be done away with. If they're going to play twice they should have had 2 qualifiers

They will have weeks like that. For the first week they were allowing teams a friendly match in preparation. The August friendlies were removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I'm not that interested in international football, but the fact that clashes with Friday night league football are greatly reduced is a big plus for me. The three day gaps, reduced from four, between games won't be ideal for teams, but well worth it if it means less league games moved around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes. It is better than just one day of games and then nothing for the weekend. It will get really on the last round of games when teams need results to qualify. Moreso the 2nd and 3rd places.

Advertisement