Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary substitution work

Options
  • 10-09-2014 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I just want to see how other subs are finding the market at the moment. I'm feeling a bit stuck as regards why I'm still trying to get into this industry... Maybe we can help each other! Should I be trying to get involved in other things? Volunteering? Extra-curriculars in the local school? I was working in 3 schools between midterm and Easter so that wasn't too bad. Recently I got wind that the deputy in one of the schools thought I didn't want to work there because he had called me a few times and I wasn't available... *sigh* I wouldn't mind only that's the school I reeeeealllly want to be in. Would love to hear from other subs! Also, how are you finding application forms?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

If anyone has music PM me and I can let you know of a school where they are stuck for a sub. My parents work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Recently I got wind that the deputy in one of the schools thought I didn't want to work there because he had called me a few times and I wasn't available... *sigh*

Rather than thinking you weren't available he probably just decided to use someone who could drop everything at a moment's notice. You can hardly expect employers to chase you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Recently I got wind that the deputy in one of the schools thought I didn't want to work there because he had called me a few times and I wasn't available... *sigh* I wouldn't mind only that's the school I reeeeealllly want to be in.

I made that point in another thread. It's terrible, but don't say you're available and then not be available when you are called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

My issue is that an assumption was made. I was in 3 different schools - 1 managed to book me well in advance. I was being loyal to commitments that were made. I completely understand if I wasn't called because I had a habit of being unavailable - that's just good sense. However, this wasn't the case. I just don't think it's fair to assume that someone doesn't want to work in a place because I got a call at 8:30 in the morning but was already on the way to an assignment that had been booked several weeks before. Just another obstacle in the game I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

spurious wrote: »
    I made that point in another thread. It's terrible, but don't say you're available and then not be available when you are called.

What if another school had just called the OP to sub just before they called?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What if another school had just called the OP to sub just before they called?

Then say that, but I know myself, if I had a class waiting outside and needed someone quickly, I would ring the people I knew would be into the school in minutes.
    It's a horrible system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Deputy's job is to cover classes. No.1 unavailable, go to no.2 and continue...... Don't see your problem OP, u were unavailable......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

... the deputy in one of the schools thought I didn't want to work there...

Please see above TheDriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Is s and s being used in any schools to do certified leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Please see above TheDriver.

ya I think Sionhan_d13's main concern was that her temporary unavailability was being misread by the principal as 'not wanting to work in the school' rather than 'just unavailable'.

Its true that she was presenting herself to the school as being available but we all know woth the best will in the world stuff happens. Is she to drop the gig which was agreed to take a punt on a last minute call? The fact that she showed a commitment should be a good thing...
    In saying all that though maybe if Siobhan_d13 had rang the school to be taken off the list then the suspected huffy principal might not be in such a huff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Anyhow.. thats mostly an aside to her other questions too so here's the post again ..

drive on

mod

I just want to see how other subs are finding the market at the moment. I'm feeling a bit stuck as regards why I'm still trying to get into this industry... Maybe we can help each other! Should I be trying to get involved in other things? Volunteering? Extra-curriculars in the local school? I was working in 3 schools between midterm and Easter so that wasn't too bad. Recently I got wind that the deputy in one of the schools thought I didn't want to work there because he had called me a few times and I wasn't available... *sigh* I wouldn't mind only that's the school I reeeeealllly want to be in. Would love to hear from other subs! Also, how are you finding application forms?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Armelodie wrote: »
    Anyhow.. thats mostly an aside to her other questions too so here's the post again ..

drive on

mod

Im finding it incredibly disheartening. Got two weeks subbing that ended last friday now back to radio silence again... feel that you can't do right for doing wrong these days... I called a school to tell them I would not be available for those two weeks as I had work lined up. Rang them this week to say I was available again and was told ''ohhhh right. ... well we have quite a few people added on to our subbing list now as you said you couldnt come in.... we will ring if we are stuck''

I know they owe me nothing but i thought I was doing the right thing saving them calling me when I was unavailable whereas maybe I should have risked it... chanced them not ringing while I was busy to retain my place nearer the top of the list

Advertisement