Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Which iPhone 6 are you considering?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Blazer wrote: »
    The reason I switched back to iOS was that I spent so much time customising and installing rooms on the HTC that I realised I was never happy with what I had on it (too much customisation options and I'm a whore for changing stuff :D ) and that I actually spent less time using the phone than I did with the iPhone..so switched to the iPhone 5 and never regretted it.

My wants to ios9? download capability (proper supported ) and bluetooth sharing.

this was my issue too, i wasted hours on custom roms for no benefit, i couldnt help myself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Ive never used a phone greater than 4.7" and was tempted by the 6 Plus until I saw this video:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11087865/iPhone-6-Plus-screen-size-Is-it-too-big.html

Although having that size screen would be great, I cant see the Plus being a practical day to day phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Rabbo wrote: »
    Ive never used a phone greater than 4.7" in the flesh and was tempted by the 6 Plus until I saw this video:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11087865/iPhone-6-Plus-screen-size-Is-it-too-big.html

Although having that size screen would be great, I cant see the Plus being a practical day to day phone.

I'm actually happy enough after watching that. I thought it would look worse. I'm 6'3" so it won't look as bad in my hand as a 5'5" person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Rabbo wrote: »
    Ive never used a phone greater than 4.7" and was tempted by the 6 Plus until I saw this video:

Yeah thanks for the video it's to big I wear my 5 on a horizontal belt holster, due to my work I don't really see me with a + hanging off my belt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

jarvis wrote: »
    I'm actually happy enough after watching that. I thought it would look worse. I'm 6'3" so it won't look as bad in my hand as a 5'5" person.

I'm the same , I went into a meteor store today and picked up a 5.7" android , these phones are made for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

I have a 4s which I think is perfectly serviceable. I was tempted to upgrade to a 6 but the 6+ is too big and I don't want the poor mans version of the new iPhone. I would be worried about the resale value of the 6 in 12 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

jarvis wrote: »

Tis alright it looks grand in short arses hands as well ha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

zenit wrote: »
    I have a 4s which I think is perfectly serviceable. I was tempted to upgrade to a 6 but the 6+ is too big and I don't want the poor mans version of the new iPhone. I would be worried about the resale value of the 6 in 12 months time.

I don't think you should ever buy technology again if your worried about resale value. The technology is outdated the following day no What what you buy.

On a side note, I don't see the 6 as a poor mans iphone against the 6+. Can you explain why you think that?

kceire wrote: »
    I don't think you should ever buy technology again if your worried about resale value. The technology is outdated the following day no What what you buy.

On a side note, I don't see the 6 as a poor mans iphone against the 6+. Can you explain why you think that?

I agree with you in general about buying technology and resale value, but Apple products do hold their value. It's not a huge concern of mine as I now have a 3 year old phone, but I would regard the 6+ and the 6 as this years 5s and 5c. Perhaps I'm way off the mark in my thinking, I would just like to hear other views. By the way I'm very tempted to upgrade.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The iPhone 6 is in no way the poor man's 6 plus.

No more than an Audi Q3 is a poor mans Audi Q7. Both quality products with different markets for people with different requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The 5c and 5s were completely different phones. Different chips, different camera's and the s had the touch id.

Only difference in the 6 and 6 plus is screen resolution, image stabilisation for the 6 plus camera and a bigger battery to compensate for the larger screen.

In no way are the two new phones comparable to the 5s and 5c.

Dades wrote: »
    The iPhone 6 is in no way the poor man's 6 plus.

No more than an Audi Q3 is a poor mans Audi Q7. Both quality products with different markets for people with different requirements.

I agree with you entirely on the Audi analogy, but I feel that Apple have created a two tier market with a premium and a budget product. This is reflected in both the price and the fact that the 6+ has already sold out on preorder. Which are you going for?

The 5c and 5s were completely different phones. Different chips, different camera's and the s had the touch id.

Only difference in the 6 and 6 plus is screen resolution, image stabilisation for the 6 plus camera and a bigger battery to compensate for the larger screen.

In no way are the two new phones comparable to the 5s and 5c.

Price is the other difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I agree with you entirely on the Audi analogy, but I feel that Apple have created a two tier market with a premium and a budget product. This is reflected in both the price and the fact that the 6+ has already sold out on preorder. Which are you going for?

I wouldn't agree with you at all that there's a premium one and a non premium one. The 6+ has a better camera with optical stabilisation but the 6 has a thinner profile. They're two almost identical devices whose main differing factor is size and size only. The rumoured sapphire display didn't make it for either device so the finish is identical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I don't think many would agree that the iPhone 6 is a budget product

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm going for a 64GB 6, assuming I can get my hands on one! Not because it's gonna be €100 cheaper, but because the plus - although very tempting - just too frickin big for the way I use my phone. I think when you get down to it charging an extra 100 for a phone doesn't make it premium - it just makes it bigger. And bigger stuff generally costs more, whether it's cars, TVS, Macbooks etc. The 17" MacBook isn't considered better than the 13" - just bigger.

I'm not looking for a fight, which phone are you going for? The 6+ is a better phone by your gauge, how thin each phone is really irrelevant now that bigger is better. I want to upgrade, please tell me which phone is better?

Dades wrote: »
    I'm going for a 64GB 6, assuming I can get my hands on one! Not because it's gonna be €100 cheaper, but because the plus - although very tempting - just too frickin big for the way I use my phone. I think when you get down to it charging an extra 100 for a phone doesn't make it premium - it just makes it bigger. And bigger stuff generally costs more, whether it's cars, TVS, Macbooks etc. The 17" MacBook isn't considered better than the 13" - just bigger.
    Thanks Dades I appreciate your view in this and may go for the 6.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The 6 Plus sold out first due to supply constraints. This was expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would like both the regular and plus.

Regular for personal use and plus for business use, because the business phone is not carried around and is always sitting on a desk, or something. Bigger screen would be welcome without being cumbersome to carry around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

For me the plus was never in consideration simply because of its size. It is just to big for what I need my phone to be.

The 6 won't fit into some of my jeans pockets as is. They aren't skinny jeans, they just have shallow pockets :(

If the plus was the same size as the 6 I would have gone for it.

Doesn't anyone know why the contrast ratio is different for the screens?

The 6 is 1400:1 and the plus is 1300:1 the 5s though is only 800:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I'm due an upgrade after buying the 5 two years ago , my tarriff is €65 a month with vf so im thinking of changing provider altogether , depending on their deals

I'd love the 6+ but the size is a turn off , bigger than the samsung s5 , might get 6 in 64gb depends on the deals being offered or i might cancel my contract altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I'm going to go for the 6 64GB in Silver. I currently have the 5S on contract with O2, have another 15 months on the contact. Would I have any trouble selling a locked 5S?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Just ask O2 to unlock it for you. You can do it easily on their website.

Harcrid wrote: »
    Just ask O2 to unlock it for you. You can do it easily on their website.

I didn't think they did that when I was under bill pay contract?

Just checked with O2 and you're now able to unlock before contract ends. Happy days! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

murpho999 wrote: »
    I can't believe that people would pay €200 for 64gb extra storage when there are easy solutions with various cloud back ups.

People will argue apps but if they were to really analyse it they will probably discover they don't use that many.

Also, services music like iTunes Match remove need for music on phone except when offline.

There really are easy ways around it.

Different people have different usage. I take a lot of photos/videos, have a lot of large apps on my device that I'd rather not delete and redownload when I need them. I also am a heavy music user and need to store my music offline when I don't have a connection.

I know about iTunes match and the likes. I don't want to mess around with cloud storage. That's not to say I don't use it at all, I do use dropbox when I have a connection and want to offload photos, but it's not convenient enough for me on a daily basis.

In no way is the 6 plus a poor mans version of the iPhone 6. Leaving the higher price aside, it's got a bigger battery, better camera technology, higher resolution screen with a better contrast ratio and higher pixel density..

Glad to hear so many are going for the 6 and not the plus. I don't want to have to wait too long to get mine :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Stephen P wrote: »
    Just checked with O2 and you're now able to unlock before contract ends. Happy days! :)

That was always the way. I got the iPhone 4 on release day, 30th July. It was on contract with O2 and they unlocked it by 10th August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

fifth wrote: »

In no way is the 6 plus a poor mans version of the iPhone 6. Leaving the higher price aside, it's got a bigger battery, better camera technology, higher resolution screen with a better contrast ratio and higher pixel density..

Glad to hear so many are going for the 6 and not the plus. I don't want to have to wait too long to get mine :p

could not have put it better myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

fifth wrote: »
    Different people have different usage. I take a lot of photos/videos, have a lot of large apps on my device that I'd rather not delete and redownload when I need them. I also am a heavy music user and need to store my music offline when I don't have a connection.

I know about iTunes match and the likes. I don't want to mess around with cloud storage. That's not to say I don't use it at all, I do use dropbox when I have a connection and want to offload photos, but it's not convenient enough for me on a daily basis.

Zenit is saying the 6 is the poor mans version.

Oh and it's the 6 not the plus that has the higher contrast ratio of the two.

1400:1 for the 6 vs 1300:1 for the Plus.

Advertisement