Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Registration Pack

Options
  • 10-09-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I no longer live in the house that I co-own with my ex partner,today I received this water pack at my new address. Nobody lives in the old house and the water is turned off in it for the last 2 years now. Surely I don't have to pay anything for a house that doesn't have any water usage whatsoever. Do I just dismiss this application pack or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

xander5 wrote: »
    I no longer live in the house that I co-own with my ex partner,today I received this water pack at my new address. Nobody lives in the old house and the water is turned off in it for the last 2 years now. Surely I don't have to pay anything for a house that doesn't have any water usage whatsoever. Do I just dismiss this application pack or what?

There's no standing charge. Do if you have a meet then there will be no charge.
    Ring them and explain this to them, insist that a meter be fitted or they disconnect the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ted1 wrote: »
    There's no standing charge.
    There is however a minimum charge for vacant properties.
    disconnect the water.
    There may be advantages and disadvantages to this. I suspect it would be useful (indeed, it may be a requirement of the policy) insurance-wise in a vacant property, but there may be a reconnection charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Does anyone know what this fabled minimum charge is?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

murphaph wrote: »
    Does anyone know what this fabled minimum charge is?

Its not set as yet- but the discussion was that it would be somewhere between 15 and 25 Euro per quarter- to cover the cost of maintaining the network to the property, and to cover the cost of installing a water meter (if one is installed). If there is no water meter- unfortunately- its tough, you still have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Its not set as yet- but the discussion was that it would be somewhere between 15 and 25 Euro per quarter- to cover the cost of maintaining the network to the property, and to cover the cost of installing a water meter (if one is installed). If there is no water meter- unfortunately- its tough, you still have to pay.

160 a year _

• Advertisement

Ogham wrote: »
    160 a year _

Really? Thats over a quarter of the average annual charge they're suggesting for 2018 (600 a year), when the scenario is that the government subsidy would be fully wound down.

This is the nasty news, that just keeps on giving........

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Really? Thats over a quarter of the average annual charge they're suggesting for 2018 (600 a year), when the scenario is that the government subsidy would be fully wound down.

This is the nasty news, that just keeps on giving........
    The current tariff runs to the end of 2016. Once they better understand how people are using water, I imagine there will be a general rebalancing of the tariff.

Victor wrote: »
    The current tariff runs to the end of 2016. Once they better understand how people are using water, I imagine there will be a general rebalancing of the tariff.

However- the stated intent- is that the government subvention to Irish Water (of almost 500m for 2015) be migrated to the consumer within 3 years (subject to CER being satisfied their cost base is under control- which it blatantly is not at the moment).

Advertisement