Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carrantouthill climb

• 10-09-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

im 15, in excellent shape, and i am an expierienced hiker. i have hiked hundreds of times. i want to climb carrantouthill in the spring. my mam and sister dont though. could anyone please tell me a trail i could take. one of the hardest there is. and also could you please tell me something for my mam and sister to do. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The innuendo is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

kneemos wrote: »
    The innuendo is endless.

You've something else for the ma and sister to climb eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

From killarney.ie
    "For High level Mountain Climbs, we recommend that experienced and insured guides are used."
    It is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Google Coomloughra Horseshoe.
    3 of Ireland's tallest mountains in 1 walk.

My favourite way to climb Carrauntoohill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

If you haven't climbed it by now at your age I don't think you ever will. I was climbing twohill (that's what I call it) in my bare feet when I was 6. What have you been dithering about doing for the past 15 years!?!

Jaysus sake altogether!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You could try asking in this forum linked below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=430

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Managed to overlook the fact that this thread was locked. Sorry about that.

Thread now unlocked anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

cianob wrote: »
    im 15, in excellent shape, and i am an expierienced hiker. i have hiked hundreds of times. i want to climb carrantouthill in the spring. my mam and sister dont though. could anyone please tell me a trail i could take. one of the hardest there is. and also could you please tell me something for my mam and sister to do. thanks

What and where have you hiked?
    Carrauntuthail is substantially more dangerous than most mountains in Wicklow for example.

Have you climbed any of these?
    Errigal,
    Croagh Patrick
    Mweelrea
    Brandon?

I've no doubt certain 15 year olds would be fine to do it on a good day, but others would definitely not be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

I climbed most of the peaks including carrantouthill before I was 18 , although I was with experienced climbers in the scouts , The scouts is a great way to do it , have you ever though about joining?if you joined now you'd have a great three years of expedition's and plenty of company on the climb's you want.

Just my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/

Do you have navigational skills? Can you navigate with map and compass in poor visibility?
    If not, at 15 and going on your own I would recommend going with a guided group.
    You can always go back next time on your own with more knowledge and confidence.

Advertisement