Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC Canadian Visa Issue... HELP!

Options
  • 10-09-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey guys, I have a query regarding my IEC Visa application which I couldn’t find a definite answer for on the IEC/CIC website or in any open forums. My situation is as follows –

I was on the waiting list for a Visa & I received my Conditional Letter of Acceptance through my Kompass account on Monday (08th Sept) but it advised that the letter itself will expire on Sept 23rd.

My passport expires on 28/02/2015 so I am currently renewing it but may not have it back in time for the 23rd when my conditional letter expires. (The passport express service which has a timeframe of 10 working days is of course currently behind and working on a 10-15 working day timeframe).

I have everything else ready to go for my application but held off on renewing my passport as I need it for a work trip early next month and didn't do it sooner as I had a few work trips over the last few months. I thought I would get the standard 3 months’ timeframe to get all my documents submitted for the final stage of the application as opposed to just 11 working days so I’m in a bit of a panic now. I'm planning on moving over between 12th-17th Feb 2015.

My question is can I still use my current Conditional Letter of Acceptance past September 23rd for submitting through MyCIC application in case my passport arrives late? If not, can this letter be extended by a few days? If that is also not an option, do you know if I am able to submit my current passport with my MyCIC application & then forward the new passport information when it arrives or present it upon entry to Canada with a copy of my passport that expires 28/02/2015? Or will CIC pick up on the fact that it expires in Feb 2015 & decline me? Technically I could be going over short term so they can't presume I'm going to need my current passport to stretch past that date, right?

I would greatly appreciate ANY help you can give me with this, especially from someone who's dealt with the same or a similar scenario as there's so many contradictory bits of info out there which has me so confused 😞 I'm absolutely pulling my hair out sending emails to IEC/MyCIC/The Canadian Irish Embassy & getting no replies 😩

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've heard of others having this issue, but in relation to police certs. The best advice I've heard is to submit everything you have by the closing date, but include a letter of explanation that says, due to the very restricted time frame, you couldn't submit your passport as it's in the process of being renewed, and that you'll upload it as soon as possible.

I wouldn't let your CAL go out of date, at least. I think that's probably the worst thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lynz5969

Faith wrote: »
    I've heard of others having this issue, but in relation to police certs. The best advice I've heard is to submit everything you have by the closing date, but include a letter of explanation that says, due to the very restricted time frame, you couldn't submit your passport as it's in the process of being renewed, and that you'll upload it as soon as possible.

I wouldn't let your CAL go out of date, at least. I think that's probably the worst thing to do.

Thanks for responding Faith, MUCH appreciated. Yeh that's a really good idea to attach a letter of explanation. Are you definitely able to update your docs on MyCIC once you've submitted your full application though? My passport may arrive only 1 day late before they even get to check my docs but will there be an option to update the application once it's submitted or add additional docs? :/ thanks again, you've been a great help!

I don't know for sure if you can update your docs. What would hopefully happen is the CIC would contact you and ask you to submit the missing forms, and then you'd be able to. But I'm just guessing there :/

When did you send off your passport? You still have 8/9 working days until your CAL expires, so for the moment, fill out all the forms and upload them, and just hope that your passport arrives before the CAL expires.

When did you send off your passport? You still have 8/9 working days until your CAL expires, so for the moment, fill out all the forms and upload them, and just hope that your passport arrives before the CAL expires.

It went yesterday but they're working on a timeframe if up to 15 working days at the mo so it'll be down the wire! I've already uploaded everything else, it's the last thing I need. Thanks again for your advice Faith, I feel a little better now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I thought I read somewhere that you could enter on a different passport to the one that you used for the application. Do you have the passport pages photocopied?

• Advertisement

I thought I read somewhere that you could enter on a different passport to the one that you used for the application. Do you have the passport pages photocopied?

Hey thanx for replying :) yeh I've also uploaded the 1 page of my passport that's been stamped aswel as the personal information pages, so I have loads of pages still blank. Do you think that'll help, the fact that the majority of my pages havnt been stamped?

Lynz5969 wrote: »
    Hey thanx for replying :) yeh I've also uploaded the 1 page of my passport that's been stamped aswel as the personal information pages, so I have loads of pages still blank. Do you think that'll help, the fact that the majority of my pages havnt been stamped?

My point is that I think you can apply with your current passport details and then enter Canada with your new passport.

My point is that I think you can apply with your current passport details and then enter Canada with your new passport.

Great thanks again

I think that was for the Kompass stage, and then you updated your details there when you got your new passport before applying to stage 2. If your passport details are different when you enter the country, that could be quite problematic, I'd imagine.

Whoops you are right Faith.
    1. I am currently renewing my passport. May I submit my application with a photocopy of my previous passport and a letter stating that my passport is being renewed?

No. You must submit a scan of the appropriate pages of your new passport, otherwise your application will be considered incomplete.

• Advertisement

I think that was for the Kompass stage, and then you updated your details there when you got your new passport before applying to stage 2. If your passport details are different when you enter the country, that could be quite problematic, I'd imagine.

Yeh I've definitely read mixed views about entering Canada with a different passport, if it doesn't arrive in time I'll just have to chance my arm & bring my old passport (my current one for now) aswel. I didn't have to send it in with my new passport application since there's still less than 6 months on it so that will hopefully help, thanx

Someone did as I suggested but in relation to a Garda clearance cert, and it worked perfectly for them: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92162792&postcount=1073

So if it comes to it, submit without any copy of your passport, but include the letter of explanation.

So if it comes to it, submit without any copy of your passport, but include the letter of explanation.

Ok great I'll try that & hope for the best, you never know, I may by some miracle get my passport in time! Thanx again for all your advice :)

Advertisement