Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iphone 5 price drops

• 10-09-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭

iphone 5 price drops.

What are they? Where are they?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bmm wrote: »
    iphone 5 price drops.

What are they? Where are they?

hasnt been on sale since last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Sorry should say 5s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Interested in this too. At present it's cheaper to buy the 5s sim free from apple than go on eg the cheapest contract with 3 (which is what I'm on atm and want to change because it doesn't suit my needs anymore - switched to it when I lost my job) I pointed that out earlier to a smart ass Carphone Warehouse guy after he looked at me like I had 2 heads for asking if the prices would come down when they published pricing for the 6. Told me Apple won't be dropping any prices - told him they'd already dropped the price so surely the networks would too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

tk123 wrote: »
    Interested in this too. At present it's cheaper to buy the 5s sim free from apple than go on eg the cheapest contract with 3 (which is what I'm on atm and want to change because it doesn't suit my needs anymore - switched to it when I lost my job) I pointed that out earlier to a smart ass Carphone Warehouse guy after he looked at me like I had 2 heads for asking if the prices would come down when they published pricing for the 6. Told me Apple won't be dropping any prices - told him they'd already dropped the price so surely the networks would too?

Why would the network drop prices? If it sells they will leave it as is

Because they should at least update their price to reflect Apple's prices imo? The whole selling point of the contract is to get the phone cheaper than buying it sim free? Why would I pay Three an extra €20 for the phone as well as committing to a 12 month contract?

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Because they should at least update their price to reflect Apple's prices imo? The whole selling point of the contract is to get the phone cheaper than buying it sim free? Why would I pay Three an extra €20 for the phone as well as committing to a 12 month contract?

You know that and I know that but if the networks can make money by not changing the prices they wont

godtabh wrote: »
    You know that and I know that but if the networks can make money by not changing the prices they wont

:pac: You're right!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Last year when vodafone started selling the 5s they kept the price of the 5 (remaining stock) the same, making the -slightly better spec- 5c cheaper than the "old" 5...
    In this case I doubt it's intentional, more ignorance (who'd buy a 5 if a 5s cost the same?!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Same (or worse) has happend again this year with Vodafone.
    An iPhone 5s 64GB is now €100 more expensive than an iPhone 6 64GB, obviously due to the iPhone 5s price not being changed and the omission of a 32GB model with the iPhone 6. Anway it looks silly...
    http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/bill-pay-phones/apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

flyguy wrote: »
    Same (or worse) has happend again this year with Vodafone.
    An iPhone 5s 64GB is now €100 more expensive than an iPhone 6 64GB, obviously due to the iPhone 5s price not being changed and the omission of a 32GB model with the iPhone 6. Anway it looks silly...
    http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/bill-pay-phones/apple

Prices for 5s increased all around over the last 2 weeks. 16gb was free on red super, it's now €49. Same with the red plan, it was €49 and now €149

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems some places have increased their prices in anticipation of people waiting to buy 5/5s after 6 was released.
    Scummy but business sense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Don't forget the 5 mightn't be considered the "budget" model. It fulfils a role as a smaller screen iPhone which probably still has a market.

Advertisement