Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Earth directed solar X-Flare

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Pity it's been a no show so far, had a power outage here in Dundalk so it would of made great viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Seems to have been very uneventful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

From solarham;
    .Forecast...
    Solar activity is likely to reach moderate levels (R1-R2
    (Minor-Moderate)) with a chance for X-class (R3 or greater) flare
    activity over the next three days (14-16 Sep).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I woke up to no power or mobile internet this morning...for a few minutes I was getting a bit concerned...until I rang my mam in Dublin to hear she was still connected...one day it will happen though..hopefully not in my lifetime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

youtube! wrote: »
    I woke up to no power or mobile internet this morning...for a few minutes I was getting a bit concerned...until I rang my mam in Dublin to hear she was still connected...one day it will happen though..hopefully not in my lifetime!
    And we in Ireland wont see it coming. We never see astronomical events!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Three people I know independently fell out of the bed last night (one injuring herself quite badly) and no alcohol was involved.

I know it's almost definitely a coincidence, but you would wonder if these things could have mild neurological effects given that your brain is a bioelectrical system and given that a large % of animals (birds) etc seem to use magnetic guidance for flying, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it could have a minor impact on humans and other animals.

Birds in particularly could potentially be very heavily impacted by any major change in the earth's magnetic field.

I wonder how those species coped with the last magnetic field flip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I drove up to Cushendun(north coast) Saturday night around 12-1 and it was far too cloudy to see anything, even if there was some activity.
    I can post a picture I took later on, but all it shows is the clouds :P

Next time, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Old thread I know, but didn't want to start a new one.

Just checking soho earlier I noticed a huge solar flare. Now I checked with solarham and they have a storm warning and a kp index of 8. I have never seen it that high.

planetary-k-index.gif

The bz is north at the moment, but with the kp being so high maybe there will be a chance to see some aurora's?

UPDATE @ 14:10 UTC: A Severe (G4) Geomagnetic Storm is now in progress. Bz/IMF conditions continue to intensify the ongoing geomagnetic storm. Sky watchers at middle to high latitudes should remain alert for visual aurora displays if it is still dark outside.
    The Bz component of the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF) decided to point sharply south following the initial CME impact early Tuesday morning. Solar wind speeds are now above 600 km/s. Moderate storming is being observed at high latitudes.

Anyone been following this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

A nice time lapse of last night's display is on http://www.irishastronomy.org ... taken by Paul Evans from North of Larne.

• Advertisement
Advertisement