Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card & IVF

Options
  • 10-09-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi . I've just received the medical card for both of us. Is there any clinics that give one free treatment or treatment at a lower rate?
    also does the charity pomengrate still exist? I cant get through to them

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I think you need to move to the trying to concieve forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi be on, I think that the hari clinic offer treatments for medical card holders although only to a certain number number every year. The merrion also have a foundation you can apply to. The minimum they will charge is 500€.
    I think sims might have something too.
    Your best bet is to ring around and enquire about it.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bvon

Hi be on, I think that the hari clinic offer treatments for medical card holders although only to a certain number number every year. The merrion also have a foundation you can apply to. The minimum they will charge is 500€.
    I think sims might have something too.
    Your best bet is to ring around and enquire about it.
    Good luck.

Thank you so much, ill ring the merrion & sims this morning. Hopefully we'll get some bit of luck.
    If i can't get help i duno weather to go with Hari or Cork clinic... i wish i knew the outcome.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

It's such a minefield of information alright. There is no pressure on you to go for consultations and see which clinic suits you best. If you are going to be travelling far for treatments remember that you could be attending the clinic every day for a week or two depending on how closely you need to be monitored. You may be able to get scans etc somewhere else and email them to the clinic but that will add extra costs for you. Distance is a major consideration along with how you get you get on with the staff etc.

It's such a minefield of information alright. There is no pressure on you to go for consultations and see which clinic suits you best. If you are going to be travelling far for treatments remember that you could be attending the clinic every day for a week or two depending on how closely you need to be monitored. You may be able to get scans etc somewhere else and email them to the clinic but that will add extra costs for you. Distance is a major consideration along with how you get you get on with the staff etc.

I know, im finding it very difficult to make a decision on where to go and time is slipping away. We've been to Hari for investigations & all is left is to make an appointment to start treatment. Im in Waterford & the Cork clinic have opened a clinic in Waterford for scans & the they do the rest of treatment in Cork. This would suit better as shortage of money & less stress but I want to go with who ever is best.
    Im so confused with it all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

hari have a system with medical card holders if you have no children you can get a reduced rate treatment . your drugs are paid for of you have a medi c all card but you need to have the form sent into your local hse do you need to put that into action as soon as you decide who to go with . I can't comment on any other hospitals as we went with hair . hope thats of some help.

bobskii wrote: »
    hari have a system with medical card holders if you have no children you can get a reduced rate treatment . your drugs are paid for of you have a medi c all card but you need to have the form sent into your local hse do you need to put that into action as soon as you decide who to go with . I can't comment on any other hospitals as we went with hair . hope thats of some help.

Thank you bobskii
    Im waiting to hear back from Hari now. They told me they don't do reduced fees for medical card holders.
    How did you get on in hari?

I can't remember exactly what it was I just know we didn't qualify because I already had a child . I found them very good . I was a bit apprehensive at first but I'm hindsight I think that was more the fact that ivf is such a huge step to take . I'm 6 months pregnant after our first go so I really can't fault them for all their help.

I can't remember exactly what it was I just know we didn't qualify because I already had a child . I found them very good . I was a bit apprehensive at first but I'm hindsight I think that was more the fact that ivf is such a huge step to take . I'm 6 months pregnant after our first go so I really can't fault them for all their help.

Aww thats fantastic news, congratulations...
    You must feel amazing
    We were so shocked when they gave us the news that we would need icsi, that was 2 years ago and im too scared to go back. Im terrified it won't work. I know the sooner the better but finding it hard to raise the money.
    Did you have to visit hospital much whdn you started treatment? Ive to take travelling and hotel costs into account too

thank you . It took a while to sink in but it was the outcome we could only hope for.
    We were the same when we realised it was what was ahead of us,no explanation we were unexplained infertile.
    its really a fear of the unknown i think. You don't know what to expect but in my experience the stories you read and the things your told just add to your fear . I live about an hour from Dublin . I forced myself to be brave and drive in Dublin to make things easier on us . The week your getting scanned to see if your follicles are growing us a lot of up and down . They took me up every second day but ta know ya get through it . how far are you from Dublin time wise?

• Advertisement

thank you . It took a while to sink in but it was the outcome we could only hope for.
    We were the same when we realised it was what was ahead of us,no explanation we were unexplained infertile.
    its really a fear of the unknown i think. You don't know what to expect but in my experience the stories you read and the things your told just add to your fear . I live about an hour from Dublin . I forced myself to be brave and drive in Dublin to make things easier on us . The week your getting scanned to see if your follicles are growing us a lot of up and down . They took me up every second day but ta know ya get through it . how far are you from Dublin time wise?

Id be thinking that, id say id be bowled over at first ☺
    Im 1& 1/2hrs from Dublin, maybe as you said if I brave the driving id be better. It makes more sense. I drove one night for the introduction meeting. Train & taxis add up too expensive. I was hoping not to draw attention to myself at work. Girls were asking questions when i was just going for investigations & i was only missing a day every coup of weeks. I know its only a small thing but the injections terrify me & moods with medication. How did you find the medication? Did you rest for a few days after implantation?

they do early morning appointments so depending on your work you can work around it . I told my boss and she was very supportive and didn't question anything . I was lucky in the sense I was had my transfer on a Sunday and I was on two weeks holidays from the following Thursday so I had nearly 3 weeks to get head round it and relax . as for injections they weren't that bad but I don't mind needles so that's easy for me to say . I just let my husband do the and covered my eyes . have to say they didn't hurt at all they are very fine needles . and the medication didn't leave me moody whereas on clonmid I could have committed murder I was that moody!!

they do early morning appointments so depending on your work you can work around it . I told my boss and she was very supportive and didn't question anything . I was lucky in the sense I was had my transfer on a Sunday and I was on two weeks holidays from the following Thursday so I had nearly 3 weeks to get head round it and relax . as for injections they weren't that bad but I don't mind needles so that's easy for me to say . I just let my husband do the and covered my eyes . have to say they didn't hurt at all they are very fine needles . and the medication didn't leave me moody whereas on clonmid I could have committed murder I was that moody!!

I work 8 - 5pm , ill have to say something just not to look im messing them about. Ive an underactive thyroid so i was thinking of saying im getting treatment for thyroid complications. It was lovely for you to have nearly 3 weeks off, helps alot in every way. Himself said he'd do injections. Is it a small needle like a pen? Id say id be late for work with trying to work up the courage to let him do it each morning.
    Really, id would have loved to have tried clomid. Problem is on his side so icsi is for us.

you could ask if they would give you a letter saying your getting treatment but not for what,and put it on blank paper . or your doc might give you one . I did my injections at might after my shower,I numbed the area with an ice cube and let him batter away . Yeh one was a pen and the other was a proper needle but it was very fine.
    my advice is just put yourself first. It's 6 weeks out of your whole life to aim for somethin you really want . so give it your best shot.

you could ask if they would give you a letter saying your getting treatment but not for what,and put it on blank paper . or your doc might give you one . I did my injections at might after my shower,I numbed the area with an ice cube and let him batter away . Yeh one was a pen and the other was a proper needle but it was very fine.
    my advice is just put yourself first. It's 6 weeks out of your whole life to aim for somethin you really want . so give it your best shot.

Ill do that. They wouldn't question a doctor.
    Oh gosh the thoughts of it. Sure it be grand when time comes. Ice cude sounds good.
    Thanks so much, feel better now after talking to you.

I was exactly the same with the thoughts of it but they were worse than goin through it,honestly . glad to be of help pm me anytime if you want to know anything.

And good luck with it all.

I was exactly the same with the thoughts of it but they were worse than goin through it,honestly . glad to be of help pm me anytime if you want to know anything.

And good luck with it all.

Thank you so much bobskii, i may be back to you. Its always on my mind, I make myself worse & hard to talk to someone not in the same situation.
    Best of luck with the baby & make sure you pamper yourself... ☺

of course it is . It totally consumes your thoughts . its no problem anytime if I can help I will :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Bvon, My Gp when I was initially getting referred was happy to write out certs as being from her surgery rather than the fertility clinic if I needed them for work. I'd say they are well used to that kind of thing. Thyroid is a good one to use - its not unrelated so you are not exactly lying, and you have to get various tests and appointments for that.

Luckily it was never needed, as any appointments I had I managed to get before work and be at my desk on time, and also the fact I didnt need many appointments.

I'm not great with needles either, I just didnt look and himself did them for me.

Neyite wrote: »
    Bvon, My Gp when I was initially getting referred was happy to write out certs as being from her surgery rather than the fertility clinic if I needed them for work. I'd say they are well used to that kind of thing. Thyroid is a good one to use - its not unrelated so you are not exactly lying, and you have to get various tests and appointments for that.

Luckily it was never needed, as any appointments I had I managed to get before work and be at my desk on time, and also the fact I didnt need many appointments.

I'm not great with needles either, I just didnt look and himself did them for me.

Hi Neyite,

Only saw your message now.
    I received an appointment date for next month in the post today. Im absoutely gobsmacked, shocked and terrified etc...

Yes the more i think of it im gona say thyroid complications as that be a number of things. Ive wrecked my head and ive come to the conclusion that its best not to make it known in work. As ill be getting too many questions and ive enough worries as it is...

I hope i dont have to miss work and if i do im gona try not to worry. They cant do anything when you have a cert.

How did you get on with treatment?
    What clinic did you go to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Pomergranate still exists. Although you have to be referred through SIMS (as in they put couples forward for funding for treatment). Good luck.

January wrote: »
    Pomergranate still exists. Although you have to be referred through SIMS (as in they put couples forward for funding for treatment). Good luck.

Thanks January, im not with Sims.
    Thought it was a charity supporting all.

Advertisement