Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cycling race 14/9/2014

• 10-09-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

This coming Sunday i would advice yous all to stay out of Co Wicklow

Bray wheelers have a race on and the roads will be worse than usual with the feckers

Here is a link of the routes they will be taking http://www.braywheelers.com/joe-loughman-randonnee/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    This coming Sunday i would advice yous all to stay out of Co Wicklow

Bray wheelers have a race on and the roads will be worse than usual with the feckers

Here is a link of the routes they will be taking http://www.braywheelers.com/joe-loughman-randonnee/

Could we not go along and wipe them all out?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Off to Woodies for tacks so..............:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd love to go pillion with one of those huge SuperSoaker water pistols and for any that are blatantly taking up the road with no consideration for who is behind them, give them a good soaking.

Off to Woodies for tacks so..............:D

I was thinking more Guns R Us :pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    I was thinking more Guns R Us :pac:

We could put up a bathroom door and shoot them as they pass behind it...:eek:....too soon...???..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Zascar wrote: »
    I'd love to go pillion with one of those huge SuperSoaker water pistols and for any that are blatantly taking up the road with no consideration for who is behind them, give them a good soaking.

Ah sure but it's nice to see you maniac bikers slowed down for once. :p

Ah sure but it's nice to see you maniac bikers slowed down for once. :p

Are ya kiddin me...with all the coaches, rental cars And lycrists it hard to get a decent run these days......:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Two stakes in the ground either side of the road and a giant roll of cling film across the road. See how many we can get in the one go......would not even see the cling film on approach!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Organ donors :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not a race, just an event. Like a motorbike rally, with the same amount of lawlessness.

Funny how if a thread on motors talking about a bike rally came up and they mentioned driving over you all, littering the road with nails and firing stuff out of cars, you'd all be up in arms about damn cagers and dangerous driving.

If you want respect on the road lads you have to show it in return.

• Advertisement

Somewhat ironic that motorcyclists who complain about car drivers not treating them with respect as vulnerable road users advocate violence against other vulnerable road users. Stay classy lads.

seamus wrote: »
    It's not a race, just an event. Like a motorbike rally, with the same amount of lawlessness.

Funny how if a thread on motors talking about a bike rally came up and they mentioned driving over you all, littering the road with nails and firing stuff out of cars, you'd all be up in arms about damn cagers and dangerous driving.

Somewhat ironic that motorcyclists who complain about car drivers not treating them with respect as vulnerable road users advocate violence against other vulnerable road users. Stay classy lads.

I (for one) dont...
    Hold up other road users...deliberately
    Drive straight through traffic lights
    Drive straight through pedestrian crossings ,especially when theres children crossing..
    Ride on pavements..
    Hold up buses by not using the cycle lanes (we all paid for)....
    etc etc........

and dont come this crap "its only a minority"...its 99% of them.....

I live in Bray...so i've seen plenty of the above from these Wheelers.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

Well, this is interesting, I am a motorcyclist, car driver and cyclist.

I enjoy all three pursuits, however, the above posts all just go to show.

No matter what your mode of transport, you can still be a total @5s hole!

Disappointing to see such attitudes so rife.

Stay safe, or better still, do some track days and get the frustration out of your system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I (for one) dont...
    Drive straight through pedestrian crossings ,especially when theres children crossing..
    Ride on pavements..
    etc etc........
    Me neither. What's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Or maybe....... contact the cycling club and offer to help them out marshalling the event. Motorbike marshalls are always sought after for cycle events precisely because they can get around the course much easier than a cage. Then you get to see both perspectives....

Just a thought though....

Me neither. What's your point?

DUH.......how can i have respect for these cyclists when they dont give a sh1t about other road users.....

theyre like wasps at a picnic.just go away....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

With the popularity of cycling these days there seems to some form of event on ever weekend up that direction. Throw in the good weather and being the middle of the main tourist season the road is very busy every weekend.
    I do a bit cycling and have to say if you think car drivers don't give motorcyclists respect you should see what they do when your cycling!
    As fellow two wheeled enthusiasts we should at least get on with eachother, just obey the rules of the road and quit that 4 a breast sh!te before some dopey cager cleans you out of it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Get a sense of humour ffs, the posts are obviously tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Cienciano wrote: »
    Get a sense of humour ffs, the posts are obviously tongue in cheek.

:D..........who'll we pick on next...oh yeah taxi drivers.....:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ohhh good idea! Someone start a separate bitching and moaning thread!

Zascar wrote: »
    Ohhh good idea! Someone start a separate bitching and moaning thread!

That'll be Biker.ie then....................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I (for one) dont...
    Ride on pavements..
    etc etc........

and dont come this crap "its only a minority"...its 99% of them.....

I live in Bray...so i've seen plenty of the above from these Wheelers.......;)

Ill second above. For vurnable road users they dont seem to concerned with their safety looking at how often they break road rulez. If they aren't bothered why should I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm a biker and a cyclist, I rent cars when I need one too so I see all perspectives and my conclusion is that there is idiots in all walks of life.

As mentioned the grief you can get off other road users when you're a cyclist is far worse than when you're on a motorbike.

Cyclists and bikers should look out for each other. We're both extremely vulnerable road users and share many common interests in making the roads safer and ensuring that motorists actually see us before they pull out without looking.

Question for biker/ cyclists......when youre on your bicycle do you adapt an attitude of "fcuk everyone else" or is that the way you ride your motorbike too..???

Curious....as i know biker/cyclists that do...thats why i have little regard for them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Question for biker/ cyclists......when youre on your bicycle do you adapt an attitude of "fcuk everyone else" or is that the way you ride your motorbike too..???

Curious....as i know biker/cyclists that do...thats why i have little regard for them....

What comes across as '**** everyone else' is often good safety practice that can apply to the motorbike. For example, taking the lane when it's not safe to overtake or if you're about to turn right. the only difference in that case is speed - you might slow down traffic behind you on the bike, but not the moto.

In a lot of cases if you don't take the lane or otherwise cycle aggressively, you end up having cars doing mad stunts to overtake or get around you, which is twice as dangerous for all involved.

The #1 thing I see is cars trying to overtake bicycles without going into the opposite lane. Rules of the road is bike 1.5M from the side, and car 1.25M from the bike, which ALWAYS puts the car in the other lane. I regularly see cars trying to overtake a bike with oncoming traffic - if they misjudge, first thing that happens is a cyclist gets hit. If the cyclist is cycling in the ditch or right by the kerb, they only encourage it.

I think there should be training and repurcussions for cyclists, and that's coming from a cyclist. I wouldn't say it's 99%, but the number of cyclists out on the road with no appreciation of regulations or concern for safety is mad.

The number one thing I see from most cyclists they always take up half or more of the road.
    Even when they are only two abreast they tend to be out to the white line or over.

You'd think when a car or motorbike comes up behind them that they would keep in a bit and let people pass but no, they stay out and seemingly not give a f*ck about anyone else.

Terrible road manners!

The comments earlier were only tongue in cheek but surely you can see where they stem from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

blade1 wrote: »
    keep in a bit and let people pass

That there is the problem. Motorists are perfectly happy to take the opposite lane to overtake a car, yet somehow if it's not a car this causes a rage-induced ****e hemorrhage. Asking cyclists to 'keep in' so you can perform a dangerous overtake is just encouraging dangerous road use.

Two cyclists are perfectly entitled to take the lane. It might be annoying if you're 3 seconds late for wherever you're going, but their alternative is not being able to use the road.

And, generalisations apply to every group. I drive, cycle and motorcycle a lot in town and rural areas, and see monumentally stupid things being done by all groups. Cyclists are still probably the worst, but I'd be a lot more concerned about some oblivious young wan on a high nelly with her headphones on or some gombeen on a suit on his phone on a dublin bike than some of the lycra warriors - the latter are usually the least dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

gerrowadat wrote: »

I think there should be training and repurcussions for cyclists, and that's coming from a cyclist. I wouldn't say it's 99%, but the number of cyclists out on the road with no appreciation of regulations or concern for safety is mad.

I couldn't agree with this more. In fact I'd say my motorcycle training has made me a safer cyclist as when I'm cycling any deviation from cycling in a straight line is always preceeded by a lifesaver. Now that might sound like common sense to any biker out there but trust me when I say when I'm a cyclist I've seen countless other cyclists move out from their position on the road without once checking is there a car or another cyclist on their heel. They don't even realise what they're doing is dangerous and no doubt some will end in an tangle someday because they didnt look over their right shoulder before moving around a parked car in the cycle lane or other obstacles that mean moving road position.

Its all down to training for cyclists or more so a lack of it. Whats needed is some sort of awareness campaign that cyclists shouldn't just concentrate on everything on the road ahead of them, especially in urban enviroments where they are constantly being over taken by traffic.

To answer the question how I behave when cycling to motorcycling, I only really mototcycle inside the m50 so don't be hooning around. When on the bicycle its primarily for getting fit and losing weight so I do a lot of 20-25km cycles in rural areas around the back roads of the airport where you'll often see more cyclists and bikers than cars, its all pretty quiet. When I come across pedestrian lights which are red and have no pedestrians crossing then I'm going through it, I've no doubt it pisses off some motorists but to be honest if they were cycling themselves they'd be doing it also. Cyclists don't break lights to annoy other road users, they do it because building up momentum on a bike is hard so when you've got momentum you want to keep it as going from 30kph down to a total stop and back up to 30kph is going to take a lot of effort and energy, its a lot more than just cranking your wrist and opening up the throttle. In terms of time a red light to a cyclist doing a steady 30kph is like a double red light, they lose time to stopping at it and they lose time getting their speed back from 0kph up to 30kph. So when confronted with a pedestrian crossing with a red light and no pedestrians the vast majority of cyclists will carry on in my experience and to be honest I don't blame them. I'm not trying to justify the practice, moreso to explain to bikers on here why cyclists do it. In respect of major four way junctions I never break reds, the worst I might do is lift my bike up on a footpath to do a sneaky left hand turn and bypass the red. Its not a stunt I'd pull on a narrow path full of pedestrians, if the path is wide and empty I'll do it to save a couple of minutes.

One difference I noticed recently between my attitudes to both biking and cycling is how I perceive what I'm riding as a potential weapon and danger to others. Where I live when you enter the estate you're immediately hit with a t-junction and have to turn left or right, its dodge because from the main road you have to turn right and then right again almost immediately and this is a spot where there can often be small children on a green at the head of the T-junction or sometimes on the road inside the estate on trikes and go-karts flying around the place. A few months back I saw a car have a very close call with a child and since then I reviewed my own speed when I arrive home on the motorbike and now I crawl in the main entrance and through the right hand turn to my parking spot, theres too many kids around to be doing anything more than 15kph at the most. But the other day I did the same maneuver on my bicycle and just by chance I looked down at my speedo on the handlebars which said I was doing 24kph on the bicycle. Theres no way I would come bombing in the entrance like that on the motorbike but here I was doing it on the bicycle. If I hit a kid at 24kph on the bicycle he's defintely going to be pretty hurt and possible bone fractures. But for some reason sub conciously you don't feel that your bicycle is a potential weapon that can hurt other people in the same way I see it for a motorbike. Its probably the weight differential between the two but nonetheless if any pedestrian gets hit by a fast paced cyclist they're going to be pretty hurt and shook. So I'll take it a bit easier from now on but it just goes to show how your perceptions change when you change the mode of transport you're using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

No. Personally I adopt an attitude of 'everyone's trying to kill me', because often someone will try.

Advertisement