Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cycling race 14/9/2014

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I for one object to cyclists having a day out enjoying themselves. Who do they think they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And what's wrong with keeping in a bit?
    Why the need to stay out as far as the white line?
    Entitled of not, a bit of courtesy wouldn't go astray.
    I had four cyclists in front of me two weeks ago where there was a continuous white line for about a half a mile.
    Yapping away to each other as if no one else had a right to use the road.
    It wouldn't have killed them to move in a small bit for a second or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

blade1 wrote: »
    And what's wrong with keeping in a bit?
    Why the need to stay out as far as the white line?
    Entitled of not, a bit of courtesy wouldn't go astray.
    I had four cyclists in front of me two weeks ago where there was a continuous white line for about a half a mile.
    Yapping away to each other as if no one else had a right to use the road.
    It wouldn't have killed them to move in a small bit for a second or two.

Again, what you're asking them to do is facilitate your dangerous (and in this case illegal) overtake.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Again, what you're asking them to do is facilitate your dangerous (and in this case illegal) overtake.

How's it illegal?

How's it illegal?

Crossing a continuous line. Like I said earlier in the thread, your options are crossing a white line, or staying inside and getting too close to a cyclist (1.25m). Crossing the line is 2 points, due care is also 2.

• Advertisement

Crossing a continuous line. Like I said earlier in the thread, your options are crossing a white line, or staying inside and getting too close to a cyclist (1.25m). Crossing the line is 2 points, due care is also 2.

So you are saying you can't cross a continuous white line no matter what, yeah?

So you are saying you can't cross a continuous white line no matter what, yeah?

You /can/, it's just illegal. Unless it's for access or on the instructions of a garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You /can/, it's just illegal. Unless it's for access or on the instructions of a garda.

Its not quite that straight forward.
    I done my bike safe recently and there was a tractor in front of us doing 20kmh.

Solid white line on the road and i wasnt sure if i should of overtake him or not.
    Garda overtook so i followed. On questioning it later i was told to view the extremely slow moving tractor an obstruction so i was fine to cross the solid white line as long as it was safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

goodlad wrote: »
    I done my bike safe recently and there was a tractor in front of us doing 20kmh.

Solid white line on the road and i wasnt sure if i should of overtake him or not.
    Garda overtook so i followed. On questioning it later i was told to view the extremely slow moving tractor an obstruction so i was fine to cross the solid white line as long as it was safe to do so.

Well i always assumed you could cross a solid white line if it was safe to do so.....although i know theres different takes on "safe"...

goodlad wrote: »

Huh, learn something new every day.

I guess this might also be an entry in the "Garda Siochana's Big Book of Things We'll Get You For if We're Trying to Get You For Something".

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have been too close to cyclist they if kept in a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I wouldn't have been too close to cyclist they if kept in a bit.

Nor would you if you crossed the line by a couple of cm.

How many horsepower under you? Ffs, just overtake safely and be on your way. Talk about making a deal of nothing.

BTW, I had the tractor scenario during one of my Rospa tests. I overtook on a solid line, but not on a bend. Talked about it after with the examiner (the garda one too as it happens) and he said (we agreed) it was illegal but that a conscious decision was made rightly or wrongly. ie, if you're caught you're on your own.

Idleater wrote: »
    Nor would you if you crossed the line by a couple of cm.

How many horsepower under you? Ffs, just overtake safely and be on your way. Talk about making a deal of nothing.

They were out to the white line,easier for them to keep in!
    197bhp, why?

They were out to the white line,easier for them to keep in!
    197bhp, why?

197bhp and you want someone to get out of your way? Please. I manage fine passing on the sv.
    You wouldn't happen to be mistaking your poor observations or positioning on some other road users would you? I mean, you could see the bikes up the road before you got to them right?

Your post is utter rubbish.
    It was on a twisty road, I came around a bend and they were out in the middle of the road.
    I could pass them out but as I said it would be easier for them to keep in.
    It's not as if they didn't hear me coming.

Your post is utter rubbish...
    It was on a twisty road, I came around a bend...
    It's not as if they didn't hear me coming.

LOL. Always someone else's fault.

Yes, in this case the cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

BTW, I had the tractor scenario during one of my Rospa tests. I overtook on a solid line, but not on a bend. Talked about it after with the examiner (the garda one too as it happens) and he said (we agreed) it was illegal but that a conscious decision was made rightly or wrongly. ie, if you're caught you're on your own.[/quote]

I've been reading this thread, but I'm not getting involved with it as it's not the first biker vs cyclist twaddle that has been discussed on here, which inevitably ends up as ' I'm right, you're wrong' type scenarios.

But idleeater, your point stood out for me. When I did my RoSPA, before we ever set out on the assessment the examiner very clearly stated that 'If you cross a continuous white line, it's a fail'. It's interesting to hear of your experiences of the same test.

ratracer wrote: »

But idleeater, your point stood out for me. When I did my RoSPA, before we ever set out on the assessment the examiner very clearly stated that 'If you cross a continuous white line, it's a fail'. It's interesting to hear of your experiences of the same test.

To clarify somewhat, I overtook on a wide section of road where there was "room" for a motorbike to pass just about on the line. There was no hard shoulder AAnd I was waiting patiently through some bends beforehand.

During another test I had the pleasure of a failed overtake on a 100kmph dual carriageway when the yaris decided to speed up mid manoeuvre.

The rospa is great because you are guaranteed to make a mistake or a dubious call. It's how you deal with those little scenarios that you are marked on.

Also unlike our blade friend, we learn from our mistakes, our poorly chosen overtakes, our poor positioning that led us to not be as smooth on the bike as we'd like and we progress further with less stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

During another test I had the pleasure of a failed overtake on a 100kmph dual carriageway when the yaris decided to speed up mid manoeuvre.

Yaris?! The shame... :D

• Advertisement

Maybe he was a cyclist too...........smart...;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd8AkykH1cE

:D

R
    To clarify somewhat, I overtook on a wide section of road where there was "room" for a motorbike to pass just about on the line. There was no hard shoulder AAnd I was waiting patiently through some bends beforehand.

Also unlike our blade friend, we learn from our mistakes, our poorly chosen overtakes, our poor positioning that led us to not be as smooth on the bike as we'd like and we progress further with less stress.
    What are you on about?
    You don't even know whether I overtook them or stayed behind?
    Assume much do you?
    Lol like the Yaris in your test lol

Don't worry your head about my driving.
    We get tested at work every so often and I pass with flying colours.

I retract all my comments about hating ALL cyclists...........:D

Advertisement