Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American music/musician in Ireland

• 11-09-2014 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am a recently retired American (math teacher), currently living in West Virginia. I am considering moving to Ireland. Wherever I land, I want to pursue my life long passion, which is playing, singing and writing music. I'm looking for some place where I can do that. I play acoustic guitar, mandolin and lap steel. I've been looking at the Wexford area, mostly because the cost of living seems to be a little better there, but I'm certainly not committed to anyplace. I have US Social Security and a small pension, but my budget will be a little tight. If I could make a few euros playing music, that would be wonderful, but mostly, sanity requires me to get up and sing/play for people on regular occasions. So I'm wondering if the sort of thing I do would be likely to find an audience there. Bear in mind, I'm 63 years old. Here in the Mid-Ohio valley, venue owners want only young eye candy. That makes it tough.
    Of course, before I make a permanent move, I'l probably come for a visit, but I want to get an idea of where to visit, and whether it's even worthwhile. Since I'm a new user, I'm not allowed to post links or URLs, but if you google "Chase Brady Parkersburg" and scroll down till you see "Music Page", you can find samples of my music. Lately, I've become intereted in old country, i.e. Hank Sr, Jimmy Rogers, etc. Thanks for any suggestions.

--Chase Brady

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cbrady01

Can anyone suggest a forum where I might get a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Funnymuffin

Hello! I'm originally from Michigan myself. I also play and write country/bluegrass/gospel/folk. I sing and play acoustic guitar, mandolin, and upright bass :) from my experiences playing, and hanging around ,the reception to country music is good. Bluegrass is closer to Trad over here. Trad of course is huge :) I am in Dublin and there are loads of places to play. Open mics and such. You could look more on here for gigs and also try gumtree. The music mag over here is HotPress. Sometimes they have adverts for musicians wanted ect. It's been a while since I've got one. I love it here, am raising a family and all. Hope this info helps, best of luck!

Advertisement