Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis man sentenced to 10 months for hoax 999 calls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Could of been longer to make an example but either way good news

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

He should have to pay for fire brigade and coastguard as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

jesus i'm not the only nocturnal boardsie in Clare!

listen, we'd all like a longer sentence and for him to pay the cost but this is Ireland. we know how the justice system works (or doesn't) in this country.

so with that considered, i think 10 months is a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

10 months is great but how much time will he actually spend in a cell? Should be stung with a big bill as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Jhcx wrote: »
    Could of been longer to make an example but either way good news

I agree with the sentiment you are trying to express (but I think you could've phrased it better).
    Perhaps he should have received a longer sentence.

• Advertisement

I agree with the sentiment you are trying to express (but I think you could've phrased it better).
    Perhaps he should have received a longer sentence.

Think i phrased it the way i wanted to. This lad only 18 has done this twice. This lad is only spending 10 months in a comfort box being fed, looked after and still be ready for christmas next year. This lad is an offender and is going to come out and probably do it all over again. why not its fun(note of sarcasm)

My point is other teens and older people see this and it really means nothing nothing to scare or stop them from doing it over and over and over again till someone is killed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it was on radio 1 this morning

paddy o'gorman did a court report on the sean o'rourke show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Think i phrased it the way i wanted to...

I have no doubt that that was how you wanted to phrase it. Doesn't change the fact that you could have phrased it better. For example, instead of saying...
    Could of ...
    you could have used a phrase that actually exists, as other posters have done, such as:
    He should have ...
    ...you could've ...
    ... he should have ...

Seeing a pattern yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So the heading says
    Youth sentenced to 10 months

and the text says
    An 18-year-old man has been jailed for 10 months

I am probably showing my age, but to me this is misrepresentation ....... I have never considered a 'youth' to be a 'man' nor vice versa.

I would understand the use of 'young man' or something similar ..... but youth? Nope.
    Asked if the call was a hoax, Coughlan said: “No, this is genuine. This is a real call.”

I wonder why that question was asked?
    Must have been something odd about the call, or is this usual?

I have no doubt that that was how you wanted to phrase it. Doesn't change the fact that you could have phrased it better. For example, instead of saying...

you could have used a phrase that actually exists, as other posters have done, such as:

Seeing a pattern yet?

Please attack the article and not me. Some of us have literacy problems . Not all of us studied honors English in university. The way I phrase things now and always will be different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mod note

It is against the charter to make references to other posters spelling or grammar.

Please don't comment on a person's literacy skills, it can be extremely hurtful and can deter people from posting for fear of being ridiculed. It tends to cause far more damage than an expletive does.

It is also worth remembering that there are quite a few posters on Boards.ie for whom English is not their first language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

So the heading says

and the text says

I am probably showing my age, but to me this is misrepresentation ....... I have never considered a 'youth' to be a 'man' nor vice versa.

I would understand the use of 'young man' or something similar ..... but youth? Nope.

I wonder why that question was asked?
    Must have been something odd about the call, or is this usual?

I heard that the call was made on a mobile with no SIM. This probably showed up on the call handlers side.
    Could be wrong but would explain the question. Who walks around with a phone with no SIM in it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Conar wrote: »
    I heard that the call was made on a mobile with no SIM. This probably showed up on the call handlers side.
    Could be wrong but would explain the question. Who walks around with a phone with no SIM in it?

The call handler in the ECAS would not have gotten a Caller ID and would have been able to see that it had no SIM card as there is no identifier. Generally, although this may vary on mobiles, the customer's details (e.g. address) are passed on by the provider. This wouldn't show on their system so they would probably know if there was no SIM card.

If I was the call handler, I would have asked the same thing. Add the fact that the person is younger (hence probably not as mature then most adults) to the mix. The operator could not not send out the emergency services because you can never be 100% sure, especially if one's life it at sake.

It annoys me to see some low-lifes making hoax calls to the ECAS. Complete waste of resources, especially as they are limited (although that should not be an excuse).

In all honesty, I believed he deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I think he deserves more. If I was a judge which I am not I would have made an example of him. Oh I really wish I was A judge .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think 10 months is plenty. It'll cost more to put him in for that long than the emergency services spent. Better to keep lads committing violent crimes and I think particularly rapists in for longer sentences than things like this. If he got three months over this and tried to prank the emergency services again after that I think it's a mental health issue.

I wish they'd just subtract expenses from his dole for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

In was in court that day and the youth laughed to whole way through the case, the judge stopped and addressed him and he still kept laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

maiden wrote: »
    In was in court that day and the youth laughed to whole way through the case, the judge stopped and addressed him and he still kept laughing

And yet his solicitor told the court that what he did "was far removed from a prank and I think he knows that now."

Wondering what you, having witnessed the case hearing and his laughter and demeanour, thought of the sentence?

Advertisement