Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water

• 11-09-2014 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

https://www.water.ie/data-protection-notice/
    Data Protection Notice

The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). In the event that the data is stored outside of the EEA, Irish Water shall procure that all relevant laws are complied with to secure the data.

It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who works for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the processing of your request for information and the provision of support services.

By submitting data to Irish Water, the Customer agrees to this transfer, storing or processing. Irish Water will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely.
    What need would their be to send this info outta the Country even? What US Company has dibs on this? I'm guessing it's US.

Irish water can't even manage to send out a few letters without giving away private Info.

Irish Water confirms possible breach of data protection
    Irish Water has apologised to over 6,300 customers after it sent them letters with data relating to other individuals.

It informed the Data Protection Commissioner of the matter last Thursday, September 4th, in line with the commissioner’s recommended code of practice on data breaches.

The utility company today confirmed it had sent letters to the owners of multiple properties asking them to confirm details of the properties they own. “Irish Water is aware that incorrect names have appeared on correspondence issued to 6,329 of these individuals. This became apparent on 4th September.”

It is understood the letters were sent to the correct addresses and with the correct property details, but that they were addressed to the previous owners of the properties concerned. The utility said it acted immediately to resolve the issue and all the property owners affected had been advised accordingly.
    Where did they get this Info from?

With all the Databases been shared to set this up, to make sure they rip off catch everyone (though I've read it's one of the highest water charges in Europe so it is really a rip off, cut the kids allowance down to 21,000 litres, made it a daily allowance-->so if you go off on Hols for two weeks, you've lost X amount. If people cut back on usage they've already said they'll cut free allowance further and they've moved IW in under the Dept of Finance from Enviro to presumably Bill at source if you don't pay. Getting to be a regular thing this. Bastids.) I'd imagine it's a little treasure trove of Data just waiting to be snapped up by whoever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Instead of creating an entirely new quuango why didn't they simply add a 20 quid levy to the bottom of the electricity bill. I dont think there is anywhere that needs water that doesnt need electricity. It would have saved millions and removed a new hole for personal data to escape through.

Yeah, where are they sending the data? Maybe an FOI request might reveal it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I would presume it is to give them the option of having the data stored in the cloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

On the data protection point - landlords are receiving the registration packs for their tenants. On the forms it requests the PPS numbers of the tenant(s). Given that the PPS was originally given to the landlord to allow registration of the property and tenants with the PRTB, what are the legalities of the LL providing these details to Irish Water ? Could a tenant complain to the DP people about this ?

Thanks

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Valetta wrote: »
    I would presume it is to give them the option of having the data stored in the cloud.
    Clould = Someone elses computer...with a rusty ould lock on it as anyone that wants can get it. They shouldn't be giving it to anyone.
    ZENER wrote: »
    On the data protection point - landlords are receiving the registration packs for their tenants. On the forms it requests the PPS numbers of the tenant(s). Given that the PPS was originally given to the landlord to allow registration of the property and tenants with the PRTB, what are the legalities of the LL providing these details to Irish Water ? Could a tenant complain to the DP people about this ?

Thanks

Ken
    Ask here aswell.

Maybe a new thread there^^. That Thread is abit of a mess from a quick look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

syklops wrote: »

Yeah, where are they sending the data? Maybe an FOI request might reveal it.
    I'm really curious.

Not alot into an FOI....

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ZENER wrote: »

My understanding (as a tenant) is that as the occupier of a rented property, it's the tenant who fills out the application. The landlord of an unoccupied property has to do so, but not if it's currently rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 72DSpecial

What I don't understand is that Irish Water, a private company limited by shares, sends me a letter requesting PPSN, email address and telephone number and information about my property when I have NO contract with them and NO business with them. I have no mains water or sewage and therefore have no need to have a contract with them.
    The funny thing is that on top of looking for my personal information, they want me to send them a letter or an email stating that I am NOT a customer of theirs!

If you were an ESB customer and another electricity supplier sent you such a request you would disregard it as a clumsy and rather obvious phishing scam!

I have reported Irish Water to the Data Commissioner as operating such a scam.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's not a private company.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's not a private company.

Irish Water.
    Private Company Limited by Shares.
    Registered Office Colvill House, 24-26 Talbot Street, Dublin 1.
    Registered in Ireland. Registered no. 530363.

I rest my case.

I have just been on the phone with Irish Water. They said they have legal right to information on non-customers. They get their initial data (addresses) from Dept. of Social Protection.

I told them that the wording in the package referring to individuals with their own water / sewage set-up stinks to high heaven of a phishing scam. i.e. - if you are not a customer we want these details anyway. Thus IW will end up with the addresses, email addresses, PPSN and telephone numbers of thousands of people. Considering their info originally comes from Dept. of Social Protection, is it not conceivable that dates of birth are available to them too? Thus if the security system broke down it could be disastrous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭markpb

72DSpecial wrote: »
    Irish Water.
    Private Company Limited by Shares.
    Registered Office Colvill House, 24-26 Talbot Street, Dublin 1.
    Registered in Ireland. Registered no. 530363.

I rest my case.

Your case is missing the point. Irish Water is owned by Ervia which is owned by two government ministers and the BGN ESOT which makes them a semi-state company. They're not a private company in the simplistic, incorrect way that you're thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

markpb wrote: »
    Your case is missing the point. Irish Water is owned by Ervia which is owned by two government ministers and the BGN ESOT which makes them a semi-state company. They're not a private company in the simplistic, incorrect way that you're thinking of.
    They are a private company, with shares, a board of directors etc. and are subject to the varying Companies Acts. The fact that they are partly owned by the state doesn't change that.

However, they also have specific legislation which gives them extra powers and exemptions above and beyond those of a "standard" company.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

72DSpecial wrote: »

I have reported Irish Water to the Data Commissioner as operating such a scam.

Doesn't matter a damn. Data commissioner is powerless in this instance. Who's going to win? The government or the commissioner :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Belbrit

timmywex wrote: »
    Doesn't matter a damn. Data commissioner is powerless in this instance. Who's going to win? The government or the commissioner :o

We have our own well and septic tank, so we will not be a customer. I have no intention of sharing our PPSN with a company that I will not be doing business with. From what I under I could be charged for water I did not buy!

That will make for an interesting scenario. What will they do?.... Cut off my water.

Belbrit wrote: »
    We have our own well and septic tank, so we will not be a customer. I have no intention of sharing our PPSN with a company that I will not be doing business with. From what I under I could be charged for water I did not buy!

That will make for an interesting scenario. What will they do?.... Cut off my water.

Plenty of interesting scenarios - they cant cut anyone's water off, only reduce the pressure - I think they'll struggle, seems a lot of people not interested in paying (Rightfully so).

Certainly ain't getting my PPSN either. To quote the welfare.ie website "You should not use your PPS Number or Social Services Card in ordinary commercial transactions".

• Registered Users Posts: 31 drafter

Irish water Application pack letter sent to my address that is held with Revenue Only and not to the Supply Address to where their water meter is installed?

My Question is how did this so called utility company get my address thats held with Revenue only.
    is this a data breach as this utility company should only know the supply address and i should only think thats where the application letter should have been sent to??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aibhg

Same as that! How has Irish water obtained our addresses? I never changed my address for correspondence with the Revenue when I moved to my apartment and my Irish Water pack arrived to my parent's house today for my apartment's address. I find this very suspect. Where are they getting their information?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 drafter

email the data commissioner like i have just done to high light this fact. my info with the revenue should not be shared like this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

I just rang them to report a leak at their meter outside my house.

All was going fine until the (very nice) girl asked me to agree to having my data shared with 3rd parties. I siad would rather not and she apologised saying they cant send anybody out to fix the faulty meter !!

I just rang them to report a leak at their meter outside my house.

All was going fine until the (very nice) girl asked me to agree to having my data shared with 3rd parties. I siad would rather not and she apologised saying they cant send anybody out to fix the faulty meter !!

Installation & repair crews would be contractors - hence the questions I'd say? At least they are asking most companies wouldn't ask. Bit broad at the same time, essentially wanting permission to share the data with anyone, they should word it a bit more restrictively, unless of course there are shenanigans going on in the background

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

What need would their be to send this info outta the Country even? What US Company has dibs on this? I'm guessing it's US.

Say the need an overflow call centre, and ink a deal with a call centre in India/the Philippines/South Africa etc to provide support. Or start to outsource back office functions to said locations?

Data has to be transferred there in order for those functions to occur. Hence the proviso.

The condition isn't all that uncommon in T&C's for utilities/telecoms/financial companies.
    Installation & repair crews would be contractors

AFAIK contractors are doing a lot of work for them. The call centre agent phrased it clumsily, it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Surely there is a difference in "permit us to use your data to allow our agents do work on our behalf" and "can we please have carte blanche to share your data with third parties". Why would an organisation who have had plenty of time to set up things propose the latter?

Advertisement