Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grealish called "Plastic Paddy"

• 11-09-2014 7:40am

According to TV3 Sports News this morning, Jack Grealish has alleged that Stephen Quinn called him a "Plastic Paddy" in a recent game.

Can't find a link anywhere as of yet, presume it will generate comment during the day.

So, is it an unfair comment? Should Grealish have observed the unwritten rule that you don't talk about what is said during the game - obviously unless it is incitement to hatred such as racism. Or does he kinda deserve it with his reluctance to declare for our senior side?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Is plastic paddy an offensive term ?
    Genuine question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I got the impression from the news this morning that it was a light hearted comment

It can be offensive, I would have thought particularly to those who cherish their Irish heritage and are then sneered at us who are born and raised here.

But would have thought that community might not include Grealish who doesn't seem that bothered about playing for us.

Assumed the fact it made the sports news meant it was seen as an objectionable comment, if not by Grealish and maybe he was quoting it as being funny, then the sports editor in TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Genuine question

are you offended by it?

If Grealish was offended by it, would you be offended by it?

If the person saying it means it in an offensive way, then it may be considered offensive, I suppose.

But if Grealish wasn't offended, then it isn't up to anyone else to be offended for him, that's silly behaviour.

For example, there are millions of people who are never offended when Snoop Doggy Dogg calls Dr. Dre a "nagger" - but if a Policeman in Jackonville calls Dr Dre a "nagger" than there'd likely be riots.

Sometimes words are offensive, sometimes they are not.

It's not up to us to decide if a word traded between two people is offensive, Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

"He called me a Fake Paddy," quipped Grealish about Quinn with a giggle. "That's what I have to expect though now. Football banter can be like that and I'm not a kid anymore so there's no problem."

He doesn't sound too broken up about it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

"He called me a Fake Paddy," quipped Grealish about Quinn with a giggle "That's what I have to expect though now. Football banter can be like that and I'm not a kid anymore so there's no problem."

Absolute non-story.

clickbait.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't get all the he hasnt declared for Ireland talk, didn't he play for the u-21s the other night? Unless he gets called up to the full squad he can't really declare more than that.

Methinks more of this will be made by folk online / the media than by grealish himself

"He called me a Fake Paddy," quipped Grealish about Quinn with a giggle. "That's what I have to expect though now. Football banter can be like that and I'm not a kid anymore so there's no problem."

He doesn't sound too broken up about it

The coverage on TV3 sports is slightly odd.

It makes it seem a lot more...objectionable. It doesn't reveal that Grealish laughed it off at all, and calls it a "jibe" as if it was meant as an insult.

TV3 is little more than the televisual equivalent of the free morning newpaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

To be honest, any player that is seemingly hedging their bets before declaring fully for Ireland is a plastic Paddy in my eyes.

You want to play for Ireland or you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

anncoates wrote: »
    To be honest, any player that is seemingly hedging their bets before declaring for Ireland is a plastic Paddy in my eyes.

You want to play for Ireland or you don't.

He hasn't be called up to senior squad and played for u21's lately . What do u want him to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

But would have thought that community might not include Grealish who doesn't seem that bothered about playing for us.

He's played for us from u15 all the way up to u21 :confused:

He was even named in an u17 squad for England a couple of years ago and declined the call up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

Double post

celt262 wrote: »
    He hasn't be called up to senior squad and played for u21's lately . What do u want him to do?

He's met MON and is quoted as saying he wants time before he decides which clearly means he's waiting for an England approach before committing to a senior Irish cap.

Not particularly bothered one way or anther but let's not kid ourselves he's dying to play for Ireland.

x43r0 wrote: »
    He's played for us from u15 all the way up to u21 :confused:

He was even named in an u17 squad for England a couple of years ago and declined the call up

It was widely reported that he was considering his options.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9441441/aston-villa-boss-paul-lambert-insists-jack-grealish-will-decide-his-own-international-future

Which of course is entirely up to him. But suggests that it is far from clear.

I find the term offensive tbh.

We are too accepting of that kind of 'banter' when it relates to Ireland. On the other hand, we live in constant fear of offending other nations and walk on eggshells around them

he'd be worth more as an England capped player, so he's looking after his future earnings, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I find the term offensive tbh.

We are too accepting of that kind of 'banter' when it relates to Ireland. On the other hand, we live in constant fear of offending other nations and walk on eggshells around them
    It was an Irishman who used the term ffs.

x43r0 wrote: »

Entirely probable that his recent development as a player has made him realize he has a chance of playing for England now and he's hedging his bets as in waiting for England but wanting to keep Ireland in the mix in case he doesn't get England.

His call totally but he's hardly dying to play for Ireland. The granny years have softened the heads of some Irish supporters somewhat to the level of embarrassment they're willing to endure just to get cast off players into the green shirt.

Like I say though his call. It's more our acceptance of it that's a bit cringe.

• Advertisement

It usually is.

The quote is meant to compare the users genuine bona fide Irish credentials with those of the target. It would be unusual if a Bolivian used it.

But that's not to say it cannot possibly be used in a light hearted manner. I guess it might depend on the context and tone and relationship between the parties.

And the newspaper report certainly suggests it was delivered and received in good spirits, the TV3 report made no attempt to contextualise.

He's hardly a "cast off" if he's played for Ireland all the way up to U21, is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Entirely probable that his recent development as a player has made him realize he has a chance of playing for England now and he's hedging his bets as in waiting for England but wanting to keep Ireland in the mix in case he doesn't get England.

His call totally but he's hardly dying to play for Ireland. The granny years have softened the heads of some Irish supporters somewhat to the level of embarrassment they're willing to endure just to get cast off players into the green shirt.

Can we not give him the benefit of the doubt? We don't really know what kind of household he was brought up in and what percentages of allegiances he feels either way? I don't think this is in anyway similar to a Mark Noble situation and I don't think there should be any level of cringe involved.

Bear in mind he's still a kid, give him time to make up his mind.

He's hardly a "cast off" if he's played for Ireland all the way up to U21, is he?

Cast off from England presuming he's waiting for a call from them.

"presuming" indeed.

"presuming" indeed.

Why else would you think he's 'making his mind up' if not for an Senior England call up?

Why else would you think he's 'making his mind up' if not for an Senior England call up?

he hasn't even been called up to the Irish senior squad yet, so he has no decision to make at all, does he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

From Jack Grealishs Twitter account:

"The way things can get blown out of proportion in newspapers is a joke.. 🙈"

There you go.... Its a joke of a story... In more ways than one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Genuine question

realistically it isnt and i doubt many irish people would find it offensive. in the PC world however where your not allowed to say anything to anybody these days, it is offensive i guess.

he hasn't even been called up to the Irish senior squad yet, so he has no decision to make at all, does he?

Doubt MON is going to name him without putting feelers out. They met and he is quoted as saying he's not ready to decide yet.

My feeling is if he leaves Villa for a bigger club and gets called up for England he'll go. Which is his call and more power to him.

So? I'm saying I don't like the term, I'm not speaking for Grealish here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

You have a notion what you're talking about.
    Firstly, jack grealish has represnted Ireland for years. Hardly a 'cast off' since hes still young.
    Ridiculous statement.

Firstly, jack grealish has represnted Ireland for years. Hardly a 'cast off' since hes still young.
    Ridiculous statement.

I appreciate he has played for us underage.

Is it clear he will play for the Irish senior side if selected? All the reports suggest he is hedging his bets and waiting to see if England go for him.

You'd think in this day and age a tweet could clear up all this apparent confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I appreciate he has played for us underage.

Is it clear he will play for the Irish senior side if selected? All the reports suggest he is hedging his bets and waiting to see if England go for him.

You'd think in this day and age a tweet could clear up all this apparent confusion.

We can only deal with the facts rather than suspision.

the guys has played underage football with Ireland from U15 to U21, he has represented this country and has commented on how proud he feels to were the jersey.

Until I see otherwise the guy deserves no stick.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous statement.

Did you actually read what I wrote?

If he's waiting to see how things will pan out with England then he'll be a cast off from there.

Underage means nothing under eligibility rules.

Like I said, it's his choice and more power to him. He is after all, as much English as Irish and his cal to decide which part holds more sway but I think he has to choose and go with that.

I was born in England to Irish parents. If I was a footballer I'd declare for Ireland full stop.

it's instructive (although Stephen Ireland should have been adequate proof) of the extent to which some Irish supporters are wiling to bin pride to crowbar somebody into a green shirt even if it's the players second choice.

and what's wrong with it being the player's second choice, as long as he plays his utmost then it's a nothing argument.

and what's wrong with it being the player's second choice, as long as he plays his utmost then it's a nothing argument.

Fair enough as I'd pick club over country every time but if I played I'd probably feel differently. It's playing for your country not a CAO application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd say it's hard to be offended by someone who looks like a leprechaun.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd say it's hard to be offended by someone who looks like a leprechaun.

Or as someone here said on the match thread, like a cartoon of what an Irishman should look like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think there is a good bit wrong with it, but different strokes for different folks and I don't think either side of that argument is gonna convince the other side they're wrong.

And it is a fact that his indecision is being widely reported and he has done nothing to clarify the matter.

It is of course his decision, but let's not pretend that it's just posters here who are a bit...unsure that he has nailed his colours to the Irish cause.

Widely reported by the rags? So its fact now.

The facts are he has represented Ireland since under 15, he particpated again in the recent U21s.

He is just the flavour attention of the month with the media at the minute as Trap is gone and O'Neill is calling up the players they were ramping on about for so long that Trap ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

One thing to be considered is the huge Irish influence at Villa over the last few years, was it two years ago that between the u-18/u-21/senior Villa team there was 11 or 12 Irish players, Grealish would obviously be attracted to playing for Ireland underage if he is doing so with his close friends/team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

peabutler wrote: »
    One thing to be considered is the huge Irish influence at Villa over the last few years, was it two years ago that between the u-18/u-21/senior Villa team there was 11 or 12 Irish players, Grealish would obviously be attracted to playing for Ireland underage if he is doing so with his close friends/team mates.

But sure there would be 11 or 12 English players pulling the opposite direction using that logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

But sure there would be 11 or 12 English players pulling the opposite direction using that logic.

Well I know that Grealish would be particularly friendly with one or two of the Irish lads and I just feel upto now that would've been an influence on him playing under-age with Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A complete non-thread. It was a funny comment between team mates. Amazing what discussion comes out a light hearted totally non offensive comment.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Widely reported by the rags? So its fact now.

Yes.

It is.

It is a fact that it is getting coverage.

This does not mean the coverage is accurate...which is why I didn't say that.

Yes.

It is.

It is a fact that it is getting coverage.

This does not mean the coverage is accurate...which is why I didn't say that.

So your point is.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

realistically it isnt and i doubt many irish people would find it offensive. in the PC world however where your not allowed to say anything to anybody these days, it is offensive i guess.

of course they wouldn't, how can an irish person be a plastic paddy? the irish use it all the time too.

it's people from the likes of southie & cricklewood/kilburn that it's aimed at & they're more likely to take offence

Soups123 wrote: »
    So your point is.......

My point is that this is getting coverage.

Not sure what the complex bit is!

So for some to suggest that posters here are wide of the mark when they doubt his commitment is misplaced critcism. I mean, it's not like a few posters here dreamt it up or simultaneously plucked it out of thin air, the media is carrying the story that he is indecisive about his future. They may be right, they may not be, but that's what is being reported.

He could clarify all matters, is he not on Twitter? They seem to be able to communicate about the most inane matters these days, surely a 10 second post outlining his commitment to Ireland, or denying media reports, would put the matter to bed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement