Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grealish called "Plastic Paddy"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Guess the FAI now knows what it is like to be the IFA

You can't really compare two normal countries like Ireland and England, to Northern Ireland.

The country's a basket case, there's 101 reasons unrelated to football or sponsorship why a player born in the north would declare for the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Best of luck to the lad, no problem with him picking England but I honestly don't see him getting double figures in caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

LiamoSail wrote: »
    You can't really compare two normal countries like Ireland and England, to Northern Ireland.

The country's a basket case, there's 101 reasons unrelated to football or sponsorship why a player born in the north would declare for the Republic.

Was more going along the lines of developing a player in underage level then that player declaring for another country for what ever reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Was more going along the lines of developing a player in underage level then that player declaring for another country for what ever reason

Apologies, I missed that. Good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nonsensical post. Grealish is being criticised because he delayed his decision for commercial reasons in a cynical, dishonest fashion. If he had made his decision for genuine reasons, it would not have taken him a year to do so.

Most people have no problem with him choosing to play for England - I certainly don't - but people are entitled to have a go at him for being dishonest and cynical and dragging the arse out of the whole thing. That has been spelled out to lots of posters here on numerous occasions, you're just another knee jerker that won't accept that point.

How did delaying the choice to this point in time increase his chances of Commercial reward? He's still just an emerging talent with plenty of potential. It's not as if he waited till he was winning Young Player of the Year etc.?

It was just simply a big decision for a young guy to make. People are being way too cynical. I would've liked him to choose Ireland but he's probably made the right decision considering he was born and raised in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Easy Rod wrote: »
    How did delaying the choice to this point in time increase his chances of Commercial reward? He's still just an emerging talent with plenty of potential. It's not as if he waited till he was winning Young Player of the Year etc.?

It was just simply a big decision for a young guy to make. People are being way too cynical. I would've liked him to choose Ireland but he's probably made the right decision considering he was born and raised in England.

:pac: you don't really believe that do you. He waited 'till he got an undertaking from Roy Hodgson, that he was interested in him and that he'd pick him in a future squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Are there many posters who believe that Grealish will get more than 10 caps with England?

I don't incidentally.

Of course he can.

The point is he is a player with "potential" so he can pretty much do anything if he works hard enough.

England are crying out for a no.10 that can influence the game. They just don't have one at present.

If his game continues to improve and consistency comes into it, every chance he can stake a claim in that England side. It has some good talent in there, but they have a clear shortage of creative players through the middle.

Lallana shows flashes but his club form is generally poison and I don't think he can do it when it comes to tournament level teams. Sterling could maybe do it but hes best out wide.

Barkley is probably the main candidate, but will probably play a deeper role longterm or box to box. Rooney will get shoehorned into 10 for the Euros to accommodate Kane and Sturridge, but longer term, there isn't any standout creative players to operate centrally for England (imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

:pac: you don't really believe that do you. He waited 'till he got an undertaking from Roy Hodgson, that he was interested in him and that he'd pick him in a future squad.

I think that's a totally fair enough reason to wait.
    Why shouldn't he look to see if there's a realistic chance of actually getting picked.

I don't regard that as cynical, just doing the right thing for him.

Arghus wrote: »
    I think that's a totally fair enough reason to wait.
    Why shouldn't he look to see if there's a realistic chance of actually getting picked.

I don't regard that as cynical, just doing the right thing for him.

I regard Grealish as a cynical timewaster. It never happened to this extent before and if it happens again the Irish management whoever they are should have the support and power to insist on a decision from a player as to whether they will play for Ireland or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I regard Grealish as a cynical timewaster. It never happened to this extent before and if it happens again the Irish management whoever they are should have the support and power to insist on a decision from a player as to whether they will play for Ireland or not.

The reality is that his time in making the decision had absolutely no effect on the Irish team or management.

Why they would want to insist on arbitrary 'deadlines' for any future instances is not clear from your post.

• Advertisement

The reality is that his time in making the decision had absolutely no effect on the Irish team or management.

Why they would want to insist on arbitrary 'deadlines' for any future instances is not clear from your post.

Other than he wasted our management teams time having meetings with him and having to field questions about him. I think in future Ireland managers should be given more support and clout, to insist on a player making a decision one way or the other to put an end to the nonsense that went on with Grealish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Other than he wasted our management teams time having meetings with him and having to field questions about him. .

Yeah.
    Doesn't sound too bad.

I think in future Ireland managers should be given more support and clout, to insist on a player making a decision one way or the other to put an end to the nonsense that went on with Grealish.

Yeah, you said that already.

You just haven't really provided any good reasons as to why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Not everyone can be Aided McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't get yourself in a tizzy about Grealish.
    He wouldn't add much to either country from what i've seen of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Other than he wasted our management teams time having meetings with him and having to field questions about him. I think in future Ireland managers should be given more support and clout, to insist on a player making a decision one way or the other to put an end to the nonsense that went on with Grealish.

Jesus wept, one player decides to opt for another international team and we get this kind of reaction. If you look at the current squad, he would have been a significant improvement on the current crop. He was worth pursuing for that reason alone. The RoI are going to struggle to qualify for major tournaments for the foreseeable future. I suspect that that fact alone meant that Jack went for the country of his birth. He is going to struggle to get into the current English squad on a regular basis, in my opinion but I wish him all the best.
    Don't get yourself in a tizzy about Grealish.
    He wouldn't add much to either country from what i've seen of him.

Really, what player in the RoI squad would you play ahead of him in midfield? He is playing for a very young Villa side, that is going to be battling against relegation all season. Keep that in mind when you watch him play.

Really, what player in the RoI squad would you play ahead of him in midfield? He is playing for a very young Villa side, that is going to be battling against relegation all season. Keep that in mind when you watch him play.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't swap him for any of our current players.
    He is very light and seems a bit lazy to me. He has a good turn and holds onto the ball well as of now but players will get to know how he works and anticipate his moves.
    He could turn out to be another one-trick-pony.
    And i haven't seen him make a tackle yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Really, what player in the RoI squad would you play ahead of him in midfield? He is playing for a very young Villa side, that is going to be battling against relegation all season. Keep that in mind when you watch him play.

He is very light and seems a bit lazy to me. He has a good turn and holds onto the ball well as of now but players will get to know how he works and anticipate his moves.
    And i haven't seen him make a tackle yet.[/QUOTE]
    even if he declared for us he would at best get a run off the bench in our upcoming games.

This is a kid with only 11 starts in the EPL with 1 goal and 1 assist. He had a good game against Liverpool in the FA Cup semi final last season, which lets be honest any player can have one game in a cup competition and stand out.

I wouldn't be a massive fan of Hoolahan but he has 5 assists and 1 goal this season. If Hoolahan was 20 instead of 33 we would be calling him the next Liam Brady with them stats and lively appearances.

Yeah.
    Doesn't sound too bad.

Yeah, you said that already.

You just haven't really provided any good reasons as to why.

MON actually named him in a squad and he made himself unavailable. That then should 've been the end of it. The manager should've been able to announce then that he was finished with him and there should've been no more about it. A lesson needs to be learned with this Grealish nonsense. Either players want to play or they don't. Are you saying the same sort of nonsense should potentially be allowed to happen over and over again? He wasn't that important, no one player is.

Berserker wrote: »
    Jesus wept, one player decides to opt for another international team and we get this kind of reaction. If you look at the current squad, he would have been a significant improvement on the current crop. He was worth pursuing for that reason alone. The RoI are going to struggle to qualify for major tournaments for the foreseeable future. I suspect that that fact alone meant that Jack went for the country of his birth. He is going to struggle to get into the current English squad on a regular basis, in my opinion but I wish him all the best.

He had been in our U21 team, he defected after a months of pussyfooting about. MON just offered him the chance to play for the senior side but he switched sides after sitting on the fence for ages. Ireland always struggle to qualify, it's never easy for Ireland to qualify. What's this you wish him the best about, what's that got to do with anything? Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Currently he cannot head, tackle, track back or score. Extremely overhyped with his old man keeping his name in the papers almost weekly in an effort to boost his profile. Seems to have a big time Charlie attitude anyway. He will regret his decision yet just like Kevin Gallen. Good luck & good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Currently he cannot head, tackle, track back or score. Extremely overhyped with his old man keeping his name in the papers almost weekly in an effort to boost his profile. Seems to have a big time Charlie attitude anyway. He will regret his decision yet just like Kevin Gallen. Good luck & good riddance.

At least you yourself picked Ireland, even though you weren't really entitled to. That shows true dedication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If he does even raise his profile further he could get his big money move to Man City or Chelsea if the need to add homegrown players is still a thing. If money motivates him he could have a career of bench appearances at club level of he follows that path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ireland has gained much more than they have lost by waiting for players like these, I doubt they will change tactics in the future, unless they want to prove a point to spite themselves.

astrofool wrote: »
    Ireland has gained much more than they have lost by waiting for players like these, I doubt they will change tactics in the future, unless they want to prove a point to spite themselves.

They've never had to wait for players like Grealish before. What happens is a player is contacted if they are eligible, they are asked if they want to play, and they say yes or no in a resaonable amount of time. There was a bit of media speculation with James McCarthy, but nothing like the scale with Grealish. There is no need for what happened with Grealish - dragging on for ages - ever happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They've never had to wait for players like Grealish before. What happens is a player is contacted if they are eligible, they are asked if they want to play, and they say yes or no in a resaonable amount of time. There was a bit of media speculation with James McCarthy, but nothing like the scale with Grealish. There is no need for what happened with Grealish - dragging on for ages - ever happening again.

So if another player does the same thing, we'll tell them to go away, or threaten them with a deadline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Stephen Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just had a horrible thought. He's not in the England squad for the next two games, so can't get the competitive cap that makes him and England international until Euro 2016. Now lets say he doesn't make that squad, which is entirely reasonable - no player is going to be included in a tournament squad just to get a cap. It then carries on until next September when the World Cup 2018 qualifiers start. If he's not included in the first couple of squads for that, this is all going to start up again - "Grealish in Ireland U-turn?" etc, etc, until everyone's faces melt through tedium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Just had a horrible thought. He's not in the England squad for the next two games, so can't get the competitive cap that makes him and England international until Euro 2016. Now lets say he doesn't make that squad, which is entirely reasonable - no player is going to be included in a tournament squad just to get a cap. It then carries on until next September when the World Cup 2018 qualifiers start. If he's not included in the first couple of squads for that, this is all going to start up again - "Grealish in Ireland U-turn?" etc, etc, until everyone's faces melt through tedium.

FAI would hopefully tell him to f**k off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Are you familiar with the workings of the FAI? If they thought that they'd make €20 from it, they'd go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

No he can't do that once he's signed the declaration, he's Englands player for better or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No he can't do that once he's signed the declaration, he's Englands player for better or worse.

lol, totally false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They let Roy Keane play for Ireland again, so wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they extended an olive branch in that scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So you're saying there's a chance ??

Let's keep the thread open so

So you're saying there's a chance ??

Let's keep the thread open so

48280-So-youre-saying-theres-a-chanc-fcWY.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And i haven't seen him make a tackle yet.

A bit light and doesn't tackle enough!

A perfect example right there of why Irish football is firmly stuck in the doldrums!

• Advertisement

A perfect example right there of why Irish football is firmly stuck in the doldrums!

That's a wider debate that has nothing to do with this silly story and I don't think it applies solely to Irish football either.

Grealish might eventually be a useful player but I wouldn't drop Wes Hoolahan in the current Irish team for him for example. He still spends a good bit of time on the bench at Villa. He's not ready for England at all, he has forced his way into their set up prematurely via the manufactured saga that he was the centre of.

He might grow up to be useful, maybe not, doesn't matter to us in Ireland either-way.

Yes and lazy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes and lazy too.

A spoofer Bill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

The horror of expecting some hard work :O

A spoofer Bill!

He could well be but give him a chance. I haven't seen him make a tackle yet either but he might improve there too.

• Advertisement

A quick word from the agent for Jack Grealish...

http://media0.giphy.com/media/GDnomdqpSHlIs/giphy.gif

I wonder does a little part of him wonder about his decision. Unless, of course, he makes the England squad for the Euros...can't claim to have followed him this season so not sure if that's likely or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

He wont get picked for the England squad.

I hope he doesn't change his mind now as his heart is clearly not in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I wonder does a little part of him wonder about his decision. Unless, of course, he makes the England squad for the Euros...can't claim to have followed him this season so not sure if that's likely or not.

Lost his place on the Villa team recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

gimmick wrote: »
    He wont get picked for the England squad.

I hope he doesn't change his mind now as his heart is clearly not in Ireland.

I hope he does, and the lads tell him to Fcuk off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I hope he does, and the lads tell him to Fcuk off

or this would also be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He can mind Ciaran Clark's house next June. Watch the Euros in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the reality is, that this guy probably wont even make the England squad in the future, how many players of his caliber or better do they have?! he has achieved and proved nothing yet. He wont be winning competitions with ireland or england, so I hope that wasnt on his mind!

If this was the finished world class product, Id be prepared to do some bending, the amount of attention he got was unreal. We dont need him, I dont want him at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No chance he makes the England squad. May be a few years until he knows whether he made the right decision or not. I imagine he'll get a few England caps but could easily end up with a very small handful of them. Could be wrong but I think he may eventually regret his decision in a few years time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Jack_Grealish.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement