Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grealish called "Plastic Paddy"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

My point is that this is getting coverage.

Not sure what the complex bit is!

So for some to suggest that posters here are wide of the mark when they doubt his commitment is misplaced critcism. I mean, it's not like a few posters here dreamt it up or simultaneously plucked it out of thin air, the media is carrying the story that he is indecisive about his future. They may be right, they may not be, but that's what is being reported.

He could clarify all matters, is he not on Twitter? They seem to be able to communicate about the most inane matters these days, surely a 10 second post outlining his commitment to Ireland, or denying media reports, would put the matter to bed.
    He already has clarified his current stance by saying he wants to concentrate on his club football for now and make a decision on his international status later, fair enough really.

He already has clarified his current stance by saying he wants to concentrate on his club football for now and make a decision on his international status later, fair enough really.

Oh absolutely.

But think it's absolutely fair to say that also falls a bit short of the commitment some would like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

My point is that this is getting coverage.

Not sure what the complex bit is!

So for some to suggest that posters here are wide of the mark when they doubt his commitment is misplaced critcism. I mean, it's not like a few posters here dreamt it up or simultaneously plucked it out of thin air, the media is carrying the story that he is indecisive about his future. They may be right, they may not be, but that's what is being reported.

He could clarify all matters, is he not on Twitter? They seem to be able to communicate about the most inane matters these days, surely a 10 second post outlining his commitment to Ireland, or denying media reports, would put the matter to bed.

I liked this tweet
    https://twitter.com/JackGrealish1/st...06806849798144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Oh absolutely.

But think it's absolutely fair to say that also falls a bit short of the commitment some would like to see.

I don't think it's fair to say that and if people do 'need' that commitment they are being unfair in my opinion. The guy's still a kid really and has only just been now appearing for Villa's first team, perfectly reasonable that he wants to do well there first and think about international football later. Why does he have to say one way or another now? I don't think he has to at all.

This whole crawl through barb wire thing to play for your country is not realistic despite the droll sound bites that commentators like to put out.

Corholio wrote: »
    Why does he have to say one way or another now? I don't think he has to at all.

Oh I don't think he has to. It's not obligatory at all.

But I think it perfectly fair that, if he is not committing himself now, others may comment on that reluctance to commit. And questioning his commitment is hardly outrageous when he says he hasn't made a decision. In fact, if anything it is wrong to say he is committed when he says he has not made a decision!

Oh I don't think he has to. It's not obligatory at all.

But I think it perfectly fair that, if he is not committing himself now, others may comment on that reluctance to commit. And questioning his commitment is hardly outrageous when he says he hasn't made a decision. In fact, if anything it is wrong to say he is committed when he says he has not made a decision!

If commenting means criticising then I disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A non-story for sure. Its one of those things where he says that and then somebody else says something like 'well its better than being a Dub, or a north/southsider' and then everybody has a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

isnt the soccer forum a platic anglo site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Cap him v Gibraltar , end the debate !

If he did switch to England (hypothetically), it would be the opposite to what we've had before,
    In the past it has been lads playing for England or Northern Ireland underage but then defecting to us.

It wouldn't feel great.
    As you have to consider underage teams as development teams, and he has occupied a spot, wouldn't be good if he made it big and played for England as FAI coaches and time has been invested in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

isnt the soccer forum a platic anglo site?
    It's barstooler as far as the pejorative goes here. Genuine Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Cap him v Gibraltar , end the debate !

If he did switch to England (hypothetically), it would be the opposite to what we've had before,
    In the past it has been lads playing for England or Northern Ireland underage but then defecting to us.

It wouldn't feel great.
    As you have to consider underage teams as development teams, and he has occupied a spot, wouldn't be good if he made it big and played for England as FAI coaches and time has been invested in him.

Call Him up and see does he turn up. If so def give him some playing time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

In fairness good point their will never be a better time to cap him then against Gibraltor. Call up him and see what he does, i presume if he is still unsure he will end up picking up a small injury keeping him out.

Call Him up and see does he turn up. If so def give him some playing time
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    In fairness good point their will never be a better time to cap him then against Gibraltor. Call up him and see what he does, i presume if he is still unsure he will end up picking up a small injury keeping him out.

It would be selfish to call him up just to cap him, he should be called up to the squad if and when O'Neill feels he can contribute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How is it selfish O Neil is not going to kidnap him and throw him onto the field. Call him up to the squad and you will get your answer on what he wants to do.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    How is it selfish O Neil is not going to kidnap him and throw him onto the field. Call him up to the squad and you will get your answer on what he wants to do.

Call him up to the squad if he genuinely wants to and warrants the inclusion, don't call him up if all you want to do is cap him and then decide actually your capped now so we'll call you if we ever decide we need you.

What about the other non media hyped players out there who could play for for both should we pick a game and cap them all just in case.

Grealish looks a player of real potential, we should treat him fair and cap him at a point in time when he is a genuine contender for squad selection and not before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

To be honest I think players should have to decide early on who they want to represent. I'm not into this notion of lads deciding in their mid to late 20s that they're actually of a different nationality. That isn't me saying I don't believe in dual nationality either, but I think almost everyone has a primary nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I think people can have legitimate duel nationality and to make them choose an a young age is unfair, he is just at the age most lads are getting their first job or starting college to force him to choose one option that will not only impact on the rest of his career but on how others view his identity for the rest of his life is a bit harsh.

No cap v Gibraltar.

Not on provisional 37 man panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I fear he is going wear White Jersey instead of Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

whatever about trying cap him v Gibraltar as they are equivalent to a pub side

From what I've seen if him he's nowhere near ready for senior international football

If it wasn't that he's part English , there would be no clam out for him to make the senior squad.

See how he develops over the next couple of years, probably the u21s is the right place for him for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sorted no way he will declare for England now :P
    It has been reported today that Ryanair boss Michael O’Leary has offered Jack Grealish’s family free flights if the Birmingham-born youngster opts to play for Ireland.

https://balls.ie/football/michael-oleary-really-wants-jack-grealish/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

No cap v Gibraltar.

Not on provisional 37 man panel.

He asked to be given the year to decide on his future, and MON agreed. He was never going to be called up.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

He asked to be given the year to decide on his future, and MON agreed. He was never going to be called up.

Wonder what he thinks might happen in the next year that might sway his decision...possibly a call up by England?

Can't say I recall another player saying "don't pick me for a year".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wonder what he thinks might happen in the next year that might sway his decision...possibly a call up by England?

Can't say I recall another player saying "don't pick me for a year".

I know its not football but McIlroy did it when deciding who to play for in the Olympics.

There is a lot of pressure on young sports people and sponsorship money they can make as well while playing with England/Uk over Ireland.

I know its not football but McIlroy did it when deciding who to play for in the Olympics.

There is a lot of pressure on young sports people and sponsorship money they can make as well while playing with England/Uk over Ireland.

McIlroy practically changed his mind though, he was almost certainly going to represent Britain until the whole thing about the funding from the Irish PGA came out, he did a 180 after that and choose to represent Ireland.

Grealish just wants to nail down his Villa place and he has every right to, despite what people think, the club is the bread and butter of a players career. Ironically people complain about some internationals we have not starting for their club and Grealish wants to do that before he considers International football and gets criticism from some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He is plastic as far as i'm concerned and ill tell you why. This lad has represented Ireland all the way through the different age groups - U21's, U18's, etc.

Now that he is seemingly making some sort of impact for Villa, and England are having a mini revolution in their squad, he thinks he has a chance with them.

I only want players playing for Ireland who are desperate to do so and proud to wear the jersey, not guys thinking its a good second best.

Why would he need to think about it for a year? He shouldnt need to think about it at all. It should be - 'delighted, thanks'. Even if he wont be playing for a time. I dont see what his club career has to do with it and lets face it, even average players make too much money.

I hate the courting of players like Noble etc. If any of you saw Kenny Cunningham going on about this on RTE about a month ago... He was dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

J Mysterio wrote: »
    He is plastic as far as i'm concerned and ill tell you why. This lad has represented Ireland all the way through the different age groups - U21's, U18's, etc.

Now that he is seemingly making some sort of impact for Villa, and England are having a mini revolution in their squad, he thinks he has a chance with them.

I only want players playing for Ireland who are desperate to do so and proud to wear the jersey, not guys thinking its a good second best.

I hate the courting of players like Noble etc. If any of you saw Kenny Cunningham going on about this on RTE about a month ago... He was dead right.

sounds like you are putting words in his mouth.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    sounds like you are putting words in his mouth.

How so

Why would he need to think about it for a year? He shouldnt need to think about it at all. It should be - 'delighted, thanks'. Even if he wont be playing for a time. I dont see what his club career has to do with it and lets face it, even average players make too much money.

I don't agree that this makes him "Plastic" necessarily, but it does kinda rubbish the idea that he is committed to the Irish cause. And that's his right and entitlement, but the suggestion in earlier posts on this thread that he has shown his commitment by togging out underage seems wide of the mark. Of course someone is entitled to hedge their bets and think about the money to be made and all that, but we should not pretend that they are committed when clearly they are not. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I am amazed by players like Noble talking through their agent or Grealish telling a national side to hang on for a year while he makes his choice.

Kenny Cunningham VS Richard Sadlier on this issue here after the Oman game:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/#!/clip/813/?page=5

If the above doesnt bring you to the right clip its in the soccer section and is called 'Kenny Cunningham and Richard Sadlier preview Irelands clash eith Georgia'. Skip to 10.00.

Totally agree with Kenny, Sadliers way off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I wonder how many players born in England and were considered English that have played for Ireland over the years were "desperate" to play for the Irish national team?

Very few I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Can anyone supply quotes from either Grealish or MON (or even Lambert) saying he asked to not be selected for a year.

Not saying he didn't but I've only ever seen such from posters online not real quotes from the young player playing underage for Ireland while trying to break into the villa side atm.

Can anyone supply quotes from either Grealish or MON (or even Lambert) saying he asked to not be selected for a year.

Not saying he didn't but I've only ever seen such from posters online not real quotes from the young player playing underage for Ireland while trying to break into the villa side atm.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-grealish-willing-to-take-his-time-on-big-decisions-30578518.html
    "My contract at Villa runs out at the end of the season, so my concentration is on playing for the club and getting the negotiations on a new deal sorted out.

"Martin O'Neill appreciates from my meeting with him that I need to put my club future first before thinking about the international situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Aenaes wrote: »
    I wonder how many players born in England and were considered English that have played for Ireland over the years were "desperate" to play for the Irish national team?

Very few I reckon.

Very few played under age level for Ireland right through, and then had a wobble when it came to playing senior level and nailing their colours to the mast.

Come to think of it, how many youth players have we ever lost to another country? (players who actually have had a substantial part at under age level like Grealish)

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Come to think of it, how many youth players have we ever lost to another country? (players who actually have had a substantial part at under age level like Grealish)
    Alex Bruce swapped to the North anyway.

Do you really think all the players in the squad at the moment would have been 'desperate' to play for Ireland? The only ones, IMO, are the ones born here in Ireland or have really strong Irish connections. A lot of the players we have wouldn't get near the English squad so were then happy to come and play for us, whether you like it or not that is a reality, I personally have nothing against players who have done that.

The reason Grealish is in this situation is because he's potentially, and I use that word safely, better than most of those players. His club career has everything to do with it, he's not a starter at his club and wants to play regularly. International football is an interruption in league seasons, not the other way around. The fact is if you only wanted players who desperately wanted to play for Ireland you'd have to chop the squad down considerably and think about looking in the LOI to replace them.

Be that as it may, I would only want players who give everything for the cause.

Youre better off getting rid of/ not getting in players who dont have that mentality as they detract from the spirit of a team.

I dont think that you would have to 'strip' the current team though. Maybe a few players.

Be that as it may, I would only want players who give everything for the cause.

Youre better off getting rid of/ not getting in players who dont have that mentality as they detract from the spirit of a team.

I dont think that you would have to 'strip' the current team though. Maybe a few players.

Why wouldn't Grealish give everything for the cause if he was on a pitch for Ireland? Some of Ireland's best players in recent times had playing for Ireland as the only thing resembling Irish about them.

Being deliberately obtuse there arent you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

jack grealishs brother posts on the ybig republic of ireland forum.his posts have been removed for some reason but his brother said that jack was happy to play for Ireland for now.his brother didn't say he was going or not going to commit to the senior side.

He stepped out and he stepped in again...apparently after saying he needed a year, he didn't after all! What a difference a few weeks and a few good results for Ireland makes!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/martin-o-neill-gets-his-man-as-jack-grealish-commits-future-to-ireland-1.1966879

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

He stepped out and he stepped in again...apparently after saying he needed a year, he didn't after all! What a difference a few weeks and a few good results for Ireland makes!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/martin-o-neill-gets-his-man-as-jack-grealish-commits-future-to-ireland-1.1966879

He never said he needed a year. The quotes are on this page he said his contract ran out at end of the year. He signed a new one this week

Looking forward to seeing him in the full international set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Nothing new in that article. God I hate newspapers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

And now no decision has been made again. :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2014/1017/652952-grealish/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This is getting to be as tedious as the Rory McIlroy Olympic saga.

• Advertisement

It's only tedious as the media make it out to be though. Paper writes story, player denies it, player gets flack. Oldest **** stirring media trick in the book.

Paper writes story, player denies it, player gets flack.

Fans puzzled why player just so reluctant to do something those fans can only dream about, and humming and hawing about which country he will select when he gets around to it.

Fans puzzled why player just so reluctant to do something those fans can only dream about, and humming and hawing about which country he will select when he gets around to it.

Ah god sake, this 'fans can only dream about' stuff is a bet generic isn't it? This pride, fight, dream etc etc is always rolled out for this sort of thing. Why aren't the same fans complaining about why LOI players aren't being called up? The reason? Because at the end of the day they'll always gravitate to what they regard as quality, and this 'dream' reason will be soon forgotten.

Why aren't the same fans complaining about why LOI players aren't being called up? The reason? Because at the end of the day they'll always gravitate to what they regard as quality, and this 'dream' reason will be soon forgotten.

Not sure about the LOI point, I think it's a bit of a joke that a player like Brian Lenihan gets onto the senior squad after a few training sessions with Hull. But apparently he was watched when at City.

Not sure about the generic reference. It surely is as generic as the "sure let the lad take his time, who wouldn't take aaaaaaaaaages to decide which country they want to pick from their options".

Not sure about the LOI point, I think it's a bit of a joke that a player like Brian Lenihan gets onto the senior squad after a few training sessions with Hull. But apparently he was watched when at City.

Not sure about the generic reference. It surely is as generic as the "sure let the lad take his time, who wouldn't take aaaaaaaaaages to decide which country they want to pick from their options".

Agree with you on Lenihan it was a joke that he was picked, not based on his quality though, based on the obvious disdain people have for the league here that a few training sessions after a flight can get him called up.

The 'blood and guts and pride' etc etc stuff is far more used, especially when it's regular people like us talking about professional footballers, despite having no idea how it all is to be. I find this owed national debt to supporters quite bizarre sometimes. Hopefully he declares for Ireland, but if not it's his decisions and his life to lead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement