Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grealish called "Plastic Paddy"

Comments

Looks like this saga is coming to an end.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/jack-grealish-ready-to-choose-england-over-ireland-after-roy-hodgson-intervention-31515539.html

I for one wish him all the best in the handful of caps he will get for England. And I bear no grudge about his messing around for over a year. Hopefully we can put all the embarrassing grovelling and finger-crossing behind us now and all agree that...he was a ar5ehole anyway...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fair play to him he's english so rightfully so he chooses to play for england. Better chance of going to major tournaments also with England. I cringe at our attempts to get him to declare for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Thank God that's over. His heart was never 100% in it anyway so we're probably better off. It really highlights the complete lack of talent we have coming through though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hopefully we can draw England in the Euros (yes I am confiedent :)) so we can boo and jeer him until our throats are sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

ricero wrote: »
    Better chance of going to major tournaments also with England.

Certainly England have a better chance of going to major tournaments than us but whether Grealish is or will be good enough to take advantage of that is open to question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He shouldn't even be close to making the England squad for the time being, even for throwaway qualifiers like they have next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

ricero wrote: »
    Fair play to him he's english so rightfully so he chooses to play for england. Better chance of going to major tournaments also with England. I cringe at our attempts to get him to declare for Ireland

He had played for Ireland at under age level. There's been plenty of players over the years that have played for Ireland but weren't born here. None of them made such a big thing about it as this guy. Ireland, FAI, the management team have done nothing wrong or cringey here. This boring cringey saga is all down to Grealish himself.

He dragged it out looking for attention. He will earn more money playing 10 times for England than 100 times for Ireland. With an England cap he might get a mega bucks move to sit on the bench for Man City or Chelsea. No-one blames him for that decision. He can do what he likes. What's annoying about it is the cynical and dishonest way he dragged it out for ages, and then we have people like you criticising Ireland for being "cringey". Will you get your facts straight there.

I'll be glad when this boring saga ends, and judging by his character he'll probably end up with an ordinary career anyway distracted by his cringey need for attention.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Will wait for him to actually make a decision before getting too excited, but it does seem like he'll be choosing England.

Fair enough, if that what he wants.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

We shall see. I think Hodgson did the right thing by refusing to meet his agent. This whole saga has dragged on too long and Jack should make his decision one way or the other soon.

If he does declare for England I can see him getting an early competitive cap to 'lock him in'. He definitely plays in a position where England are short of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Beefy78 wrote: »
    We shall see. I think Hodgson did the right thing by refusing to meet his agent. This whole saga has dragged on too long and Jack should make his decision one way or the other soon.

If he does declare for England I can see him getting an early competitive cap to 'lock him in'. He definitely plays in a position where England are short of talent.

What is his actual best position?

Surely he wont get a cap anytime soon as hes only ever played a handful of premier league games.

Im in the camp of being glad when its all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't want players who don't consider it an honour to play for us. In the Charlton era of utilising the Granny rule the players we brought in would gleefully put their head into a clump of boots for the green jersey. The likes of Kilbane or Morrison are more recent examples of non Irish born players who gave us all they got (however limited that may have been).

There was a mini saga with McCarthy and, to be honest, thus far he's been underwhelming. This is the best for all concerned really. Irish teams will always have a talent deficit which means that playing for us (even for more technically able players) will be a grind. We need players who are fully committed mentally to the cause.

POKERKING wrote: »
    What is his actual best position?

Surely he wont get a cap anytime soon as hes only ever played a handful of premier league games.

Im in the camp of being glad when its all over.

I'd see him as a 'number 10' but if he is going to get in the team long term it'll need to be as part of a three man midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

To go back to the OP, I guess Stephen Quinn will give him a proper ribbing the next time their teams meet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He has a stupid haircut anyway

The guy is English so can't blame him.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The guy is English so can't blame him.

He was unsure about that 'til his agent convinced him. His agent has played a blinder for himself here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

He hasn't even nailed down a starter spot on a poor enough Villa side. Should do so this season, still has a lot to prove,maybe quinner was right after all.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think it shows how lacking in talent the English national team is more than anything that they are fighting so hard to get him to declare from them.

I just get the feeling that this isn't his choice it is his father and agents choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Well thank **** that nonsense is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I don't think hed get in most England squads

looking at there latest squad he wouldn't be in there over anyone picked and then jack wilshire is to come back as well in midfield.

i just hope its not a case of in a few years he trys to pick Ireland again if it doesn't work out with England. Don't mind English born players as long as they really want to play for Ireland

I think it shows how lacking in talent the English national team is more than anything that they are fighting so hard to get him to declare from them.

I just get the feeling that this isn't his choice it is his father and agents choice.

I don't get the impression that England have chased him very hard. As stated, Hodgson has refused to meet with his agent. There has consistently been louder noises coming out of the Irish camp than the English one.

Grealish is as English as I am (i.e. completely). This is only an issue because Ireland poached him at a young age.

Aside from a cap to lock him in I doubt Grealish gets near the side for England any time soon.

Personally I doubt any of us are overly enamoured by the work of his agent in this whole saga. It's sad that any player would choose the country that he would play for based on what is the best thing for him financially. I'm sure we'd all give anything for the chance to play for our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Sorry guys but am I missing something here. Read the article twice and I can't see any quote from him whatsoever.

Only thing has been Hodgson asking him to make a decision soon.

Apologies if I have missed something or if the implication has originated elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Sorry guys but am I missing something here. Read the article twice and I can't see any quote from him whatsoever.

Only thing has been Hodgson asking him to make a decision soon.

Apologies if I have missed something or if the implication has originated elsewhere.

Was just about to post this. No actual development has been made here. Grealish has always been more likely to choose England so they may be able to claim the exclusive in hindsight but this is just a slow news day really.

CSF wrote: »
    Was just about to post this. No actual development has been made here. Grealish has always been more likely to choose England so they may be able to claim the exclusive in hindsight but this is just a slow news day really.

I think they're mostly going off the noises his agent has been making. He isn't exactly an unbiased party in the issue though.

I think they're mostly going off the noises his agent has been making. He isn't exactly an unbiased party in the issue though.

I think it goes without saying that Grealish's agent wants him to choose England, more potential for a big transfer that would earn him lots of money. Doesn't mean he has any say in the situation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I've always thought with Grealish that it'd be tricky to fit him into an international team because positionally he hasn't nailed down anywhere that you could say 'ya he's that kind of player'. I don't mean in terms of playing well, just positionally. International football will be a lot more rigid in that case. I think with Ireland he's have got bit more freedom in that respect because he'd be higher up in the standard compared to the rest of the squad than he would be with England, especially under Hodgson.

I don't get the impression that England have chased him very hard. As stated, Hodgson has refused to meet with his agent. There has consistently been louder noises coming out of the Irish camp than the English one.

Grealish is as English as I am (i.e. completely). This is only an issue because Ireland poached him at a young age.

Aside from a cap to lock him in I doubt Grealish gets near the side for England any time soon.

Personally I doubt any of us are overly enamoured by the work of his agent in this whole saga. It's sad that any player would choose the country that he would play for based on what is the best thing for him financially. I'm sure we'd all give anything for the chance to play for our country.

Why would Hodgson meet his agent? Has MON met his agent, I know he spoke to him personally once, that was it, don't think his agent was involved.

Ireland didn't "poach" him. He was picked to play for Ireland at under age level because he was eligible and he played. There was nothing to stop him choosing not to play for Ireland at anytime. He dragged it out to boost his profile to the extent that Hodgson was asked about him and said he'd be interested in him but he should make his mind up.

So it's now that he thinks he'll get in the England squad that he switches sides. He has been cynical and dishonest throughout the saga.

CSF wrote: »
    I think it goes without saying that Grealish's agent wants him to choose England, more potential for a big transfer that would earn him lots of money. Doesn't mean he has any say in the situation though.

Maybe Grealish said he wants to pick Ireland and his agent decided to make some comments to the press about how much money he'll lose if he does to put pressure on him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sticking all this on his agent isn't right too either I think. He comes across as pretty self serving but the guy he's representing isn't 10 years old either, it's worrying if Grealish can't think for himself along with taking in any advice.

Corholio wrote: »
    Sticking all this on his agent isn't right too either I think. He comes across as pretty self serving but the guy he's representing isn't 10 years old either, it's worrying if Grealish can't think for himself along with taking in any advice.

I don't see Grealish coming out of this smelling of roses either if he declares for England put it that way.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why would Hodgson meet his agent? Has MON met his agent, I know he spoke to him personally once, that was it, don't think his agent was involved.

Ireland didn't "poach" him. He was picked to play for Ireland at under age level because he was eligible and he played. There was nothing to stop him choosing not to play for Ireland at anytime. He dragged it out to boost his profile to the extent that Hodgson was asked about him and said he'd be interested in him but he should make his mind up.

So it's now that he thinks he'll get in the England squad that he switches sides. He has been cynical and dishonest throughout the saga.

According to the papers MON met with his agent, yeah. I appreciate this is the Mail so hardly reputable but I read it in the coverage of Hodgson's comments in the Irish press this week too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3202605/Martin-O-Neill-confident-Aston-Villa-youngster-Jack-Grealish-commit-future-Republic-Ireland.html

According to the papers MON met with his agent, yeah. I appreciate this is the Mail so hardly reputable but I read it in the coverage of Hodgson's comments in the Irish press this week too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3202605/Martin-O-Neill-confident-Aston-Villa-youngster-Jack-Grealish-commit-future-Republic-Ireland.html

He should never have had to talk to his agent, but I suppose he'd have been criticised if he wasn't "seen" to be trying to convince him to stay with Ireland. No matter what way it ends up, the whole charade has been ridiculous carry on and it has all been of Grealish's making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Does this kid justify a near 200 post thread? With an ego like his he is built for the English national team.

theballz wrote: »
    Does this kid justify a near 200 post thread? With an ego like his he is built for the English national team.

He is a very promising player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Maybe Grealish said he wants to pick Ireland and his agent decided to make some comments to the press about how much money he'll lose if he does to put pressure on him :pac:

What I don't get is why the agent came out with the money comments. It seemed like the comments of a desperate man, trying to convince his client.

If Grealish was going to choose England why would the agent say such things and make Grealish out to be a money grabber, who's only choosing England cause he'll make more money out of it. :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

An agents only purpose is to ensure his clients financial needs are looked after. While at times an agent will be seeking a move for his client because of playing time, this is purely down to the simple fact that if you play more you earn more.

I dont blame the agent even if he is a so and so. Everyone knows what he is like. This is the same man who got Cashley cole his move from Arsenal and talked to chelsea illegally.

As for Jack. Who cares. He is potential and very little else. He was born in England. His dad was born in England. His Mother was born in England.............................. Why would we ever think he would choose us at senior level over England?

If he chose Ireland he would play and maybe get to a world cup or euros with us. But if he chose England he has an opportunity to get to 3 euros and 3 world cups and has a chance at actually getting a medal. Fact is if he has ambition he will play for England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Chris Armstrong 2.0, will choose England and not get a look in.

Chris Armstrong 2.0, will choose England and not get a look in.

Would you prefer he do a Rob Elliot and choose Ireland because he knows he wont get a game for England?

If someone wants to play for Ireland thats brilliant but born here or not, if they are not 100% committed then f&ck them.

Stephen Ireland wasn't committed and it came close to McCarthy not being committed either.

We only need players that want to put their body on the line for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Mr.H wrote: »
    Would you prefer he do a Rob Elliot and choose Ireland because he knows he wont get a game for England?

If someone wants to play for Ireland thats brilliant but born here or not, if they are not 100% committed then f&ck them.

Stephen Ireland wasn't committed and it came close to McCarthy not being committed either.

We only need players that want to put their body on the line for us

I do still wonder.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

But if he chose England he has an opportunity to get to 3 euros and 3 world cups and has a chance at actually getting a medal.

Top stuff, I needed a laugh :)

Butland
    Clyne----Chambers
    Stones----Shaw
    Henderson---Delph----Barkley
    Sterling
    Kane----Chamberlain

Steele
    Clyne----Walker
    Jones----Gomez
    ----Hughes---Shelvey--Townsend
    ----Berahino----Austin---Ings

In 4 years time (coming up to the end of World cup qualifications) these will be the players that are looking to lead the English side. Now Im sure Rooney Walcott, Milner, Lallana, Hart and Cahill will all be wanting to play but they will all be into their 30's so surely they will be on the way out.

So question is would Grealish get into either of those line ups (squad) in 4 years time?? He could play in the mid 3 or wide of the front 3. So would he get one of those 10 spots?

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I do still wonder.... :rolleyes:

I know but I think benifit of the doubt has to be given with his recent performances. He does look like he is fighting for the cause

Umaro wrote: »
    Top stuff, I needed a laugh :)

To be fair they probably wont win anything but they will definitely qualify for the next 7 tournaments which Grealish would be hoping to play in (which brings his age to 32). While they may not win they do have a slight chance and even if they got a third place medal its likely more than we will be getting in the same period.

An agents only purpose is to ensure his clients financial needs are looked after. While at times an agent will be seeking a move for his client because of playing time, this is purely down to the simple fact that if you play more you earn more.

I dont blame the agent even if he is a so and so. Everyone knows what he is like. This is the same man who got Cashley cole his move from Arsenal and talked to chelsea illegally.

As for Jack. Who cares. He is potential and very little else. He was born in England. His dad was born in England. His Mother was born in England.............................. Why would we ever think he would choose us at senior level over England?

If he chose Ireland he would play and maybe get to a world cup or euros with us. But if he chose England he has an opportunity to get to 3 euros and 3 world cups and has a chance at actually getting a medal. Fact is if he has ambition he will play for England

His decision to switch sides to England is nothing to do with ambition. It's because English internationals get signed by the big EPL sides 'cos they need English players on their books. It's solely to do with money as his agent has clearly revealed.

He'll never win a medal with England btw. They usually qualify for tournaments but increasingly in recent years they only make up the numbers when they get there.

His decision to switch sides to England is nothing to do with ambition. It's because English internationals get signed by the big EPL sides 'cos they need English players on their books. It's solely to do with money as his agent has clearly revealed.

He'll never win a medal with England btw. They usually qualify for tournaments but increasingly in recent years they only make up the numbers when they get there.

No they dont. I assume you mean the "home grown rule" which he would still be under even if he played for Ireland. A lot of the Irish side fall under the "home grown rule" as they trained with a british club for more than 3 years under the age of 21. Cesc Febregas for example is a home grown player for Chelsea as he qualifies from his time at Arsenal.

Choosing England would be nothing to do with that.

He would make more money though if he was a full International that has played at tournaments. He would be able to ask for more money in wages.

You say he will never win a medal with England and that is your opinion. It is my opinion that he wont win one with Ireland. I wonder which of us has the greater chance of pie in the face????

While England MAY NOT win anything, Ireland WONT win anything

This is about ambition. If he thinks he is good enough he will choose England. If he settles he will choose Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yay! lets close this thread :p

No they dont. I assume you mean the "home grown rule" which he would still be under even if he played for Ireland. A lot of the Irish side fall under the "home grown rule" as they trained with a british club for more than 3 years under the age of 21. Cesc Febregas for example is a home grown player for Chelsea as he qualifies from his time at Arsenal.

Choosing England would be nothing to do with that.

He would make more money though if he was a full International that has played at tournaments. He would be able to ask for more money in wages.

You say he will never win a medal with England and that is your opinion. It is my opinion that he wont win one with Ireland. I wonder which of us has the greater chance of pie in the face????

While England MAY NOT win anything, Ireland WONT win anything

This is about ambition. If he thinks he is good enough he will choose England. If he settles he will choose Ireland

I won't be worried about getting pie on my face by predicting England won't win anything.:pac:

This is not about ambition. It's about money. As you have said yourself, if he's an England international it will increase his chances of a move to one of the top clubs. He'll probably come out now after the event and say differently, but it is about money - not ambition.

That's not my opinion, that is what his agent has said is behind his decision. His agent was very clear on that.

I won't be worried about getting pie on my face by predicting England won't win anything.:pac:

This is not about ambition. It's about money. As you have said yourself, if he's an England international it will increase his chances of a move to one of the top clubs. He'll probably come out now after the event and say differently, but it is about money - not ambition.

That's not my opinion, that is what his agent has said is behind his decision. His agent was very clear on that.

If he was a top player for Ireland he would be able to ask for more money anyway

Ok I'll try to put it a different way to see if you understand where I am coming from

The choice:

Ireland
    If he chooses Ireland he is "almost" very likely to play a lot of games in the set up and go on to be one of the higher capped players in our squad. We may get to a tournament or a couple of tournaments in the next 12 years.

England
    If he chooses England he has way more players to compete with to get a squad role let alone a starting one. England will likely qualify for every tournament over the next 12 years.

So if he chooses Ireland its the easy option. If he chooses England he has to play at a higher standard to get a spot but if he does then he will get to play in every competition at International level.

So how is choosing England above Ireland nothing to do with ambition?

Surely footballers want to play at the highest possible level and test themselves against the top players in the world? While money may happen because of that, surely choosing the more ambitious path is at least a little to do with ambition??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

So Gareth Bale chose Wales over England. ..no ambition there! And he ends up at RM !
    . The same agent by the way....
    .. claims he's lost out on millions because he chose Wales

! Don't think he's stuck for a few bob.

No matter what way it ends up, the whole charade has been ridiculous carry on and it has all been of Grealish's making.

And his Dad. Let's not forget the Dad. Who seemed to enjoy every moment in the spotlight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement