Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grealish called "Plastic Paddy"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

CSF wrote: »
    Or maybe he just hasn't decided yet.

Yes he hasn't decided yet, he's waiting to see what way the chips will fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

TheCitizen wrote: »

as is his wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Decisions are best made using the head. Whichever decision he makes, people won't really be able to say he abandoned his real nation as he has strong links to both so other factors do come into play.

Decisions shouldn't be made on what other people will say either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah, which is fine. He'll be committing to a national team soon after turning 20. No hassle. I hope he picks Ireland.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Decisions shouldn't be made on what other people will say either

He'll make his decision based on what he thinks his best having listened to the advice of those around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If Ireland were to qualify for 2016 and Jack were to declare for us, he would deserve no place in the tournament squad as his pussying about meant he had no hand in getting us there.

Yeah, which is fine. He'll be committing to a national team soon after turning 20. No hassle. I hope he picks Ireland.

It's not fine, that's the point, it's a boring, tedious and cynical saga.

If he committed to one or the other and said he'd play at some stage in the future, but committed to one or the other - that would be fine. In fact if he said he doesn't want to play international football at all - that would also be fine, he doesn't have to play international football. It's the same type of nonsense -with obviously different circumstances - that Stephen Ireland was at a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If Ireland were to qualify for 2016 and Jack were to declare for us, he would deserve no place in the tournament squad as his pussying about meant he had no hand in getting us there.

Yes and that would happen alright.

And we as fans would be fine with keeping a good player out of squad for that reason.

If he committed to one or the other and said he'd play at some stage in the future, but committed to one or the other - that would be fine. In fact if he said he doesn't want to play international football at all - that would also be fine, he doesn't have to play international football. It's the same type of nonsense -with obviously different circumstances - that Stephen Ireland was at a few years back.

It's not your place to say when he can and can't make the decision though. Nor mine. We are both entitled to our opinion on the matter, but in the end he is better off deciding when and what is right for him rather than going by the guidelines of what lads on the Internet think is acceptable.

You're entitled to think it's not ok that he hasn't decided yet, but he's equally entitled not to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yes, for YOU.

and that's great, for you, but I doubt he's losing any sleep about your hurt feelings.

• Advertisement

yes, for YOU.

and that's great, for you, but I doubt he's losing any sleep about your hurt feelings.

Why would he be losing sleep over what I think:pac:, did I suggest he was losing sleep over this tedious, cynical saga that he is solely responsible for?

It's not your place to say when he can and can't make the decision though. Nor mine. We are both entitled to our opinion on the matter, but in the end he is better off deciding when and what is right for him rather than going by the guidelines of what lads on the Internet think is acceptable.

You're entitled to think it's not ok that he hasn't decided yet, but he's equally entitled not to care.

I think Roy Hodgson has revealed he is irritated by it. MON is also irritated by it I'm sure, but has kept his council and has more important things to attend to, while we all wait for precious Jack to grow a pair and make a commitment one way or the other.

If we qualify for the Euro's without him, I don't think he should be in the squad for France, given that he could've played a part in helping to get us there but couldn't make up his mind to do so. Same goes for England.

I think Roy Hodgson has revealed he is irritated by it. MON is also irritated by it I'm sure, but has kept his council and has more important things to attend to, while we all wait for precious Jack to grow a pair and make a commitment one way or the other.

If we qualify for the Euro's without him, I don't think he should be in the squad for France, given that he could've played a part in helping to get us there but couldn't make up his mind to do so. Same goes for England.

The managers are entitled to be irritated by it too, but I don't think he is going to define his entire international career on that. Neither manager is going to blacklist him so he may aswell make a decision he is sure on over which country he wants to play for, he'll be doing so at the age of 20 so will have ample time to contribute to whichever country he chooses. If he declares for Ireland and does well, I know I won't care much about the couple of months he took to decide.

I agree on the Euros though. Wouldn't be hugely into the idea of drafting him into the Euros unless he is in the squad for the next 2 qualifiers and any probable proceeding playoffs. Would be unfair to judge him over the Gibraltar Georgia games seeing as he was injured anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I would have to agree with Roy Hodgson re what's Jack waiting for. The whole will he won't he saga has been very badly managed. Drawing it out like he has done just makes him look like someone that is loving the attention of it all. It's time for him to man up & make a decision.

The media are the problem here, not Grealish, O'Neill or Hodgson. If the media don't come out with a fabricated story saying Grealish has made a decision, nobody has to come out and clarify. Grealish has kept his head down throughout the thing and gotten on with his club football. People that want to pass him off as a spoilt primadonna here are way off. The chap has a genuine choice to make as regards nationality. Full Irish background, but lived in England all his life. He is genuinely both Irish and English.

The chap will have to live his whole career with whatever decision he makes so it is natural that he isn't making it on a whim. The will he/won't he stuff is all being driven by the media, not him.

I'm not blaming anyone in particular. Regardless of its cause, the situation is unsatisfactory.

I would have to agree with Roy Hodgson re what's Jack waiting for. The whole will he won't he saga has been very badly managed. Drawing it out like he has done just makes him look like someone that is loving the attention of it all. It's time for him to man up & make a decision.
    Why is it time though? This is a very arbitrary line to draw. If anything now is a time of less urgency given that he is extremely unlikely to play Euro 2016 football for either England or Ireland.

He'll have to make a decision sooner rather than later but people need to relax a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

He has no obligation to decide just so people can stop idly speculating about who he'll choose. He has every right to stay undecided until he's 30 and then play a few years of international football if he's still good enough, if that's what he really wants to do. Likely he'll decide in the next year or two. Either way, it's his call.

A bunch of media folks and fans throwing their toys out of the pram because he won't declare for somebody is not his problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Likely he'll decide in the next year or two. Either way, it's his call.

It'll be done and dusted by next summer. Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He has no obligation to decide just so people can stop idly speculating about who he'll choose. He has every right to stay undecided until he's 30 and then play a few years of international football if he's still good enough, if that's what he really wants to do. Likely he'll decide in the next year or two. Either way, it's his call.

A bunch of media folks and fans throwing their toys out of the pram because he won't declare for somebody is not his problem.

I don't think anyone is saying that he should be bothered with what fans say, but they can still have an opinion on it. He can do whatever he wants of course, but he's not naive, the decision he is making will affect both country's fans. As much as money has driven a deepening wedge between teams and fans, they can still and should be affected by it and therefore able to have views on it.

• Advertisement

It's hilarious we have these comments from some that people who are critical of Grealish for pussy footing around are throwing toys out the pram. What makes this guy so special that he has two countries waiting for him to make a decision. He's liking the attention perhaps. Much better players than him who were non Irish born and qualified for different countries made their decisions without any of the fuss that Grealish is making. Toys out the pram indeed.

It's hilarious we have these comments from some that people who are critical of Grealish for pussy footing around are throwing toys out the pram. What makes this guy so special that he has two countries waiting for him to make a decision. He's liking the attention perhaps. Much better players than him who were non Irish born and qualified for different countries made their decisions without any of the fuss that Grealish is making. Toys out the pram indeed.
    You don't have to be the greatest player in the world to want time to make a decision. If O'Neill and Hodgson don't want to chase him they don't have to. The whole situation seems to have been brought on by Hodgson chasing him IMO after him impressing for Villa.

You don't have to be the greatest player in the world to want time to make a decision. If O'Neill and Hodgson don't want to chase him they don't have to. The whole situation seems to have been brought on by Hodgson chasing him IMO after him impressing for Villa.

No-one else has ever needed such an amount of time as far as I can recall. He doesn't have to play international football at all. It's very easy for him to make his position clear, he - under influence from his agent no doubt - has chosen to play games with it because it might be to his advantage

No-one else has ever needed such an amount of time as far as I can recall. He doesn't have to play international football at all. It's very easy for him to make his position clear, he - under influence from his agent no doubt - has chosen to play games with it because it might be to his advantage
    No, he hasn't decided what he wants to do yet. Otherwise he would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

No, he hasn't decided what he wants to do yet. Otherwise he would do it.

It shouldn't be much of decision and isn't for 99% of players.

Players like Grealish make a mockery of the international game and a mockery of all the players who were born in England but proud to represent Ireland.

If we had any pride at all the FAI would tell him to **** off.

Players like Grealish make a mockery of the international game and a mockery of all the players who were born in England but proud to represent Ireland.

Really, how do we know what it is like to be a Premier League footballer with the option to play international football for 2 countries who both want you? I don't think either of us have any sort of qualification to say how much of a decision it should or shouldn't be.

• Advertisement

Really, how do we know what it is like to be a Premier League footballer with the option to play international football for 2 countries who both want you? I don't think either of us have any sort of qualification to say how much of a decision it should or shouldn't be.

He should know in his heart what country he wants to play for.You don't need to be a professional player to see that.Playing International soccer is supposed to be about playing for the pride in your country.

Large amounts of players would have been far better off not to bother playing internationally as you get no money for it and waste a lot of time and energy but obviously they play for pride.

He's clearly been stringing Ireland along for the last year as if he wanted to play for Ireland he would have made his decision already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

99% of players dont have as complicated an identity as Grealish might have.

Rather than being 100% English or 100% Irish he might feel both Irish and English without it conflicting in the way it will when it comes to football. Playing football for Ireland or England is an either/or decision. Once made, he cant take it back. I think anyone who has made a decision more tricky than what side order to take in a restaurant will empathise and give the lad a chance to think about things.

Whatever decision he makes, it will be difficult. Its not his concern what others think about it. If he wasn't a good footballer, no one would give a damn about his identity...and that is all their opinion is worth. Whatever he does, he wont give a damn what you think about it. He will more than likely be concerned what the decision means for his own view of himself and how his family and friends view him.

He should know in his heart what country he wants to play for.You don't need to be a professional player to see that.Playing International soccer is supposed to be about playing for the pride in your country.

Large amounts of players would have been far better off not to bother playing internationally as you get no money for it and waste a lot of time and energy but obviously they play for pride.

He's clearly been stringing Ireland along for the last year as if he wanted to play for Ireland he would have made his decision already.
    Whether you think he should, he doesn't. Otherwise he would have just gotten on with it and declared for England. It isn't as if they're going to give him any concrete assurances or anything, considering the minute he plays 1 minute in a competitive game he is stuck with them for good and they won't have to make good on any promises.

Sand wrote: »
    99% of players dont have as complicated an identity as Grealish might have.

Rather than being 100% English or 100% Irish he might feel both Irish and English without it conflicting in the way it will when it comes to football. Playing football for Ireland or England is an either/or decision. Once made, he cant take it back. I think anyone who has made a decision more tricky than what side order to take in a restaurant will empathise and give the lad a chance to think about things.

Whatever decision he makes, it will be difficult. Its not his concern what others think about it. If he wasn't a good footballer, no one would give a damn about his identity...and that is all their opinion is worth. Whatever he does, he wont give a damn what you think about it. He will more than likely be concerned what the decision means for his own view of himself and how his family and friends view him.

The fact that he has had to hum and haw (and doing it so publicly) over the decision effectively means he doesn't really want to play for Ireland so he should stop dragging things out and get on with it.If he chooses Ireland now it's only going to be because he feels he's not good enough for England.

The fact that he has had to hum and haw (and doing it so publicly) over the decision effectively means he doesn't really want to play for Ireland so he should stop dragging things out and get on with it.If he chooses Ireland now it's only going to be because he feels he's not good enough for England.

Did you stress this much over all the English lads who've played for Ireland because they couldn't have an English career or is it just this young guy who might be good enough to have one for either.

If he goes and plays for England we've no real cause for complaint. He's lived his whole life in England. I really hope he plays for Ireland but it's not my decision.

Also, he hasn't hummed and hawed publicly at all. Show me 3 direct quotes from him on the matter from separate occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He doesn't want time to make the decision. He's decided and he wants to play for England.

Problem is he might play once and then not be good enough for England so he's hedging his bets by stalling.

Did you stress this much over all the English lads who've played for Ireland because they couldn't have an English career or is it just this young guy who might be good enough to have one for either.

If he goes and plays for England we've no real cause for complaint. He's lived his whole life in England. I really hope he plays for Ireland but it's not my decision.

Also, he hasn't hummed and hawed publicly at all. Show me 3 direct quotes from him on the matter from separate occasions.

I don't have a problem with him playing for England and would rather he do that as that is clearly what he wants.

He pulled out of playing for the u-21's and rejected a call up to the senior squad as well which is a clear sign he doesn't want to play for Ireland and he should do the decent thing and just come out and say it.

The problem I have is that Grealish and the FAI have allowed this situation to drag on on.There is enough to suggest he's waiting for England to pick him and he should do the decent thing and end this all by simply saying he wants to play for England not Ireland.Ireland chasing him to play for the country is pathetic considering how many players would do anything to play for Ireland and we're making a big deal about someone who doesn't really want to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

It seems incredibly obvious to me what he's doing. He's holding off as long as possible in the hope that he's selected for England but doesn't want to outright declare it as he still wants the option to play for Ireland if he's not able to make the England squad.

The whole thing about "making up his mind" is pure bull****. His mind is clearly made up, just he's stalling for time in case he needs a back up plan.

Think Ireland should tell him we're not interested to be honest.

These people making these outlandish claims above are aware that Hodgson has been trying pretty hard to get Grealish capped right?

Find it pretty hilarious that a tonne of people who have never met the guy have this amazing insight into what the young lad is thinking.

If Grealish had decided on England he'd be capped by now and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

These people making these outlandish claims above are aware that Hodgson has been trying pretty hard to get Grealish capped right?

Find it pretty hilarious that a tonne of people who have never met the guy have this amazing insight into what the young lad is thinking.

If Grealish had decided on England he'd be capped by now and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I just think he'd rather play continually for Ireland than be capped once or twice by England.

He's plainly not good enough to make their starting team yet.

But I don't believe he doesn't know what he wants. It's not a hard decision to make and if playing time and international tourneys doesn't come into it, no way do you waste a year of an international career making up your mind.

You have zero evidence to back up that claim. I got the impression that Hodgson was irritated by having to answer questions about this kid who has made around a handful of appearances in the EPL. Just 'cos he plays for your beloved Aston Villa doesn't mean you have to defend him. He's being an arse about this thing and it's long passed the time that it's been embarrassing. Just make your decision already or fck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nobody here has any idea exactly what Grealish is thinking.. He could be in any of the following positions, or more:

- Genuinely undecided
    - Wants to play for England but his family want him to play for Ireland
    - Wants to play for England but hedging his bets in case not good enough
    - Wants to play for Ireland but agent in his ear saying that England would be better for his career/pocket
    - Has already decided but is enjoying the attention

Either way we don't know what he is thinking, plus he is only 20 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Maybe his team mate Gabby Agbonlahor has helped in his decision to 'stall'?!? He could have represented either Scotland or Nigeria and could have had a very nice international career for himself and been a bit of a star, instead he has just played for England a couple of time and that's it.

Grealish is just playing the how to make the most money game. A long career with Ireland is better than a couple of caps with England, but being a member of England's starting lineup for a tournament or two is better than a long career with Ireland.

The 'problem' for Grealish and Ireland though is that very few English players actually burst into the national first team say like how Rooney or Owen got on the scene. The vast majority take a number of seasons to establish themselves in the premiership before they can get into the national team. It'll probably be another three seasons before Grealish would know for certain if he is good enough to be an England regular. That's why all the stalling irritates me, to adopt a 'wait and see' attitude to the whole thing from an Irish perspective could damage us. I just don't want us to be waiting patiently for the another year or 2/3 and at the end of it just be left holding our balls.

He needs to sh1t or get off the potty!!! :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Nobody here has any idea exactly what Grealish is thinking.. He could be in any of the following positions, or more:

- Genuinely undecided
    - Wants to play for England but his family want him to play for Ireland
    - Wants to play for England but hedging his bets in case not good enough
    - Wants to play for Ireland but agent in his ear saying that England would be better for his career/pocket
    - Has already decided but is enjoying the attention

Either way we don't know what he is thinking, plus he is only 20 years old.

Genuinely undecided after 12 months or so? No, I'm not having that. It's way beyond the point that excuses can be made for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Scored a great goal for villa there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

There goes his chances of playing for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Apart from the goal, he's done nothing. He missed a great chance earlier but apart from that he has strolled around the pitch while complaining to his team mates. He's a decent player but there's way to much hype over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nib wrote: »
    Apart from the goal, he's done nothing. He missed a great chance earlier but apart from that he has strolled around the pitch while complaining to his team mates. He's a decent player but there's way to much hype over him.

Yes. I thought he needed a bit of a rollicking at h/t. Seems lazy. Well taken goal though.

Yes. I thought he needed a bit of a rollicking at h/t. Seems lazy. Well taken goal though.

You don't really have an idea how he plays really do you.

Corholio wrote: »

I know that if all 11 played like he does they wouldn't win much.

I know that if all 11 played like he does they wouldn't win much.

What a ridiculous comparison. He's a floating attacker, of course he's not going to do as much running as a right back, or a midfielder etc. In no situation would they.

What a ridiculous comparison. He's a floating attacker, of course he's not going to do as much running as a right back, or a midfielder etc. In no situation would they.

He's just lost possession in midfield and looked on as Leicester attacked making no effort to atone for his mistake.
    Sorry but laziness is never acceptable.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    There goes his chances of playing for us

Are we reduced to hoping he plays shte so that England won't pick him and we get him instead? He's not going to make or break the Ireland team. He gave the ball away and almost directly cost his team a goal.

He's just lost possession in midfield and looked on as Leicester attacked making no effort to atone for his mistake.
    Sorry but laziness is never acceptable.

All that salt in those crisps I'd say.

Acceptable to who?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

All that salt in those crisps I'd say.

Acceptable to who?
    Mr. Grealish?

Advertisement