Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grealish called "Plastic Paddy"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Corholio wrote: »
    All that salt in those crisps I'd say.

Acceptable to who?

His club and their fans.
    He seems to have a poor work ethic tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

His club and their fans.

Well Villa fans dont think he has a 'poor work ethic'
    But sure you'd know better after 1 match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Corholio wrote: »
    Well Villa fans dont think he has a 'poor work ethic'
    But sure you'd know better after 1 match.

I've seen him a few times and I don't understand the hype.
    There are far better 20 year olds in the EPL.
    Just watch his antics. He doesn't tackle, block or contest things at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

You wouldn't see Cristiano Grealish going for that ball that Dyer did at the end. He'd be afraid he'd mess up his hair.

He's a total luxury player. I for one won't be losing sleep if he does declare for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

A lot of idiots knocking about today, ah its the weekend, schools out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Good for him. He has the choice. Picking England doesn't make his Irish connections any less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

His club and their fans.

He looks a fairly gormless flash in the pan Harry with a dreadful work ethic. We are best off shot of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Korat wrote: »
    Good for him. He has the choice. Picking England doesn't make his Irish connections any less.

I don't think anyone has a problem with him picking England if that's what he wants, delaying and procrastinating is what's boring and annoying.

I've seen him a few times and I don't understand the hype.
    There are far better 20 year olds in the EPL.
    Just watch his antics. He doesn't tackle, block or contest things at all.

The hype is totally down to this will he won't he drawn out saga. Looks like a nice player, but he's not worth the fuss he's causing to either manager of either country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

As it stands he realistically shouldnt be near the England squad. Id agree that he is a bit of a luxury player who never tracks back. He has potential but has a long way to go.

• Advertisement

As it stands he realistically shouldnt be near the England squad. Id agree that he is a bit of a luxury player who never tracks back. He has potential but has a long way to go.

He wouldn't be in the Ireland team v Germany or Poland either. Might be in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Reading the last pages of this thread is like listening to some spurned young one who didn't get to go to the Debs with her first choice.

'I hope Jack asks me to his Debs. I just know we'd be perfect together.'

2 days later...

'Did you hear Jack is set to ask the English one to go with him?'

'F*ck him, never liked him anyway. He was always a luxury option.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Reading the last pages of this thread is like listening to some spurned young one who didn't get to go to the Debs with her first choice.

'I hope Jack asks me to his Debs. I just know we'd be perfect together.'

2 days later...

'Did you hear Jack is set to ask the English one to go with him?'

'F*ck him, never liked him anyway. He was always a luxury option.'
    I don't care if he's gonna go with her I just wish he'd RSVP my Facebook invite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/karlmatchett/status/648465586725474304

BREAKING NEWS: @JackGrealish1 has made a decision over his international future and opted to play for England. #AVFC http://t.co/AH20hyhuEd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chase him out of town, wait he's English so not here!

Meh.

Won't won't miss what we never had. I certainly won't be losing sleep over him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Well at least that's over

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The right decision financially for him if he turns out to be any good. Things don't always turn out as you expect from younger players. I remember Stephen Ireland being touted as the next Scholes :)

Not sure why he felt the need to drag it out over the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think it's a bit of a toss up for him. He'll get a lot of caps for Ireland, a lot more that he'd get for England but if he did force his way into the England squad on a permanent basis, he'll play at more tournaments and in bigger games.

I think he'll end up being another Andros Townsend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Korat wrote: »

Best of luck to him but I don't think he'll manage a lot of caps with England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Not sure why it's been so dragged out, but good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Having seen the player play a couple of times, not sure if we are really missing out on much. I wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Should be a non-issue, he turned down his Ireland call up so that was it for me. He's some way to go before he'll be in the frame for England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Way too much of a big deal is being made over this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

jaykay74 wrote: »
    The right decision financially for him if he turns out to be any good. Things don't always turn out as you expect from younger players. I remember Stephen Ireland being touted as the next Scholes :)

Not sure why he felt the need to drag it out over the last year.

I'd like to think it was because he genuinely saw it as a tough decision. I hope it wasn't because he liked the attention..

Hard to disagree with his decision. People born here aren't bothered to watch the team play so its hard to see why someone not born here would opt to play for that same team over the country of his birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Best of luck to him, to be honest it will be a massive achievement if he is a regular starter for England but I suppose that's what he is aspiring to.

Big call from him, could easily end up with only a few friendly caps.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

irishfeen wrote: »

If that was the case he could still switch to Ireland (though it probably wouldn't go down well).

Be interesting to see if England bother to give him a token competitive cap to lock him down.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Delighted that nonsense is over and done with. The single most tedious and boring saga in the history of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I'd like to think it was because he genuinely saw it as a tough decision. I hope it wasn't because he liked the attention..

The Telegraph's Luke Edwards...

Luke Edwards
    LukeEdwardsTele

I've been reliably informed that Jack Grealish has elected to play for England because it makes more "commercial sense" to do so. Great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jaykay74 wrote: »
    The Telegraph's Luke Edwards...

Luke Edwards
    LukeEdwardsTele

I've been reliably informed that Jack Grealish has elected to play for England because it makes more "commercial sense" to do so. Great

If that's true it probably means that his agent was the driving force behind the switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If that was the case he could still switch to Ireland (though it probably wouldn't go down well).

Be interesting to see if England bother to give him a token competitive cap to lock him down.

He'll be locked down asap IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

He's average. That aint jealousy. He's just average.

Fair play to him.

He's English so can't blame him for picking his country of birth.

Statement from Jack Grealish:

CP_TFplWcAAavmb.jpg

I hope he didn't pay someone for that.

A lot of grown Irish men throwing abuse at him on Twitter. Embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Thank god that's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hope he's the next Stephen Ireland

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Fair play to him.

He's English so can't blame him for picking his country of birth.

That's not why he chose to play for England though. He did it for commercial reasons and he dragged it out to get attention and to force Hodgson's hand into picking him for the England squad.

He can do what he likes, but I don't know why you'd say fair play to him for the way he dragged the arse out of it. The only good thing to say about this boring saga is that it's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Peist2007 wrote: »
    He's average. That aint jealousy. He's just average.
    He hasn't played enough to know how good he is or how good he will become. Even if he is "average" that's more than good enough for Ireland.

As for him getting abuse on Twitter, welcome to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

So Jack has announced his international retirement. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

He's a big loss for Ireland, don't care what anyone else here is saying. If you think about Jack's future, then it's likely he's going to slot into a central attacking midfield role. With that in mind - just who have we got in the Irish team who can do that? Hoolahan is the obvious one, but he certainly isn't getting any younger. Alternatives like Stephen Quinn would be well short of where Grealish is, even at his early age.

Grealish will probably be better rewarded financially by switching, but I think he has made a mistake. When you look at who would make a 23 man England team, then realistically Grealish would be doing well to make it into a squad of 40 - you'd be thinking that at very least, the likes of Lallana, Chamberlain, Wilshere, Barkley, Shelvey, and Mason would be ahead of him. It's not like any of these lads will be going away anytime soon either, Lallana is the oldest at 27.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Disappointing after playing underage for Ireland at a number of grades and when it became apparent he might be good enough for England he switches. I have a feeling the agent might have had an influence.

Anyway Ireland fcuked it up and as another poster said should have give him a 5 min run-out in a competitive game two years ago and this would have never happened. Good luck to him now he has a long way to become an England regular.

Ireland need to learn from this. They should try to cap the likes of Daniel Crowley now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

He hasn't played enough to know how good he is or how good he will become. Even if he is "average" that's more than good enough for Ireland.

As for him getting abuse on Twitter, welcome to the internet.

He has played enough for people to know how good he is. He isnt anything special. He will never be an England starter in a big game. No chance.

irishfeen wrote: »
    England have already topped their qualifying group with two remaining competitive games (October 9th/12th). Barring injury, he will almost certainly be called up to the England squad for those games and be given his 5 minute token appearance to lock him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Thank god the attention seeking is over. Even choosing to announce on a quite Monday afternoon stinks of pure attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

henke wrote: »
    Disappointing after playing underage for Ireland at a number of grades and when it became apparent he might be good enough for England he switches. I have a feeling the agent might have had an influence.

Anyway Ireland fcuked it up and as another poster said should have give him a 5 min run-out in a competitive game two years ago and this would have never happened. Good luck to him now he has a long way to become an England regular.

Ireland need to learn from this. They should try to cap the likes of Daniel Crowley now.

Wrong on so many levels

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

That's a pity.

He could be very good, he could be a Stephen Ireland - who knows.

Not remotely surprised - writing was on the wall for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

He's a big loss for Ireland, don't care what anyone else here is saying. If you think about Jack's future, then it's likely he's going to slot into a central attacking midfield role. With that in mind - just who have we got in the Irish team who can do that? Hoolahan is the obvious one, but he certainly isn't getting any younger. Alternatives like Stephen Quinn would be well short of where Grealish is, even at his early age.

Grealish will probably be better rewarded financially by switching, but I think he has made a mistake. When you look at who would make a 23 man England team, then realistically Grealish would be doing well to make it into a squad of 40 - you'd be thinking that at very least, the likes of Lallana, Chamberlain, Wilshere, Barkley, Shelvey, and Mason would be ahead of him. It's not like any of these lads will be going away anytime soon either, Lallana is the oldest at 27.

Good post.

While I would accept that he is entitled to his decision and that on the benefit of the doubt it was a genuinely difficult decision he will of course be a loss to us considering our creative options.

Interesting that his statement mentions nothing about having enjoyed playing for Ireland when he did etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's plenty of young midfielders that are playing better then he is right now, so there's no chance of him getting a call up anytime soon.

His decision though. If he gets a shot, good luck to him.

Utter nonsense to try to blame the Irish management for this. Grealish is the only one to blame for this long, boring and dishonest saga.

• Advertisement
Advertisement