Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud storage worth it?

Options
  • 11-09-2014 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

Anyone paying for cloud storage here? I would be interested to hear opinions from users of Dropbox/google drive/iCloud etc as to whether it's worth it?

Dropbox recently reduced it's pro level prices so now it's only €9.99/month or €99/year for 1TB of storage.

Then again I'm thinking that €99 could get me another decent sized external HDD.

Is anyone here extensively using cloud storage on everyday use? Would be interesting to hear the everyday ins and outs of it from normal users!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

It depends. Probably safer to put it on the cloud then on your own hardware, although both is best. If your upload speed is bad, the cloud is not for you.

The handy thing is you can access your files anywhere with an internet connection. But you're at the mercy of Dropbox/Google Drive etc to keep your files safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Yes I do, I've a big user of Google Drive (and their services). I'm an Android / Gmail and soon to be Chromebook user so it makes sense. I pay for 100GB for $1.99 a month. This applies to Gmail, Drive and Google+ Photos (and Auto Backup, which lets you upload full size photos against your storage or unlimited photos at 5MP).

I have Google Drive installed on my work PC, home server, laptop and phone and constantly use it to sync between my devices. On my phone, I use Google+ Auto Backup that automatically backs up any photos or videos as soon as I take them. If I need to do a phone backup, I can use Helium which allows me to backup to my Google Drive. I also have a script setup with Gmail that automatically saves attachments to a set folder once I assign it a specific label.

The issue used to be about bandwidth, I use 30MB UPC now so I don't need a portable hard drives anymore when the cloud is much more convenient - esp. since I'm already a large Google user. Same applies here if you are a Microsoft user (for One Drive) or iCloud now that it's cheaper and will have a new Cloud Documents app.

Advertisement