Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup 1/4 Finals

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bit of a shock there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

anncoates wrote: »
    Any updates pighead?

:)
    We got Shepped. Was having such a good night until he came on. Two deadly finishes (although Cherrie got beat rather easily at his near post for the second). Roll on Saturday. Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Sometimes good doesn't triumph over evil and sometimes football doesn't beat hoof ball.
    Rovers really play some poison football, horrible team to watch and still have to play them twice this season. No excuses about tonight though we did enough to win both games but didn't take our chances when we got them. Rovers scored from two breaks that should have been defended better. Very disappointing as we had a great chance to win cup had we progressed. Don't really care too much about league cup although might be good for moral if we win it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As I was saying last week, it'd be a terrible shame to derail Dundalk's season over the coming games..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

We played all the football and yee won.Sometimes football isn't fair but i'm confident that we'll roar back soon.Fair play to Rovers for last night though they caught us on the hop when we lost concentration in the last 15/20 mins.

Kenny's bottle starting to go?

NIMAN wrote: »

Dundalk are a team.SK is part of the team.We win together and we bottle together! ;) This is a side full of confidence believe me.

... its just that us folk up here in Derry were on the verge of the league title a couple of times with SK, and we bottled it (or he bottled it).

We're of a different ilk down here in Paso.Dsappointed to be out of the cup for sure but we move on and the next win is the biggest win.Our revenge etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

NIMAN wrote: »

Can't see Dundalk blowing the league now though.
    doncarlos wrote: »
    Rovers really play some poison football, horrible team to watch .

This is exaggerated. Some of the ball we've played under Fenlon has been decent enough. It's obvious he's not going to go up there and not play tight.

You got beaten on the night and would have in Tallaght had the ref let a valid goal stand.

And I'd take FAI cup semis over the league cup any day.

though.

This is exaggerated. Some of the ball we've played under Fenlon has been decent enough. It's obvious he's not going to go up there and not play tight.

What was the excuse at home then? If you think that the football under Fenlon is good I dread to think of what you had to endure for past two seasons.
    You got beaten on the night and would have in Tallaght had the ref let a valid goal stand.
    And had Towell and Byrne scored their one on ones in the first game Dundalk would have Won. What ifs don't matter just the final result. Like I've said we have no excuses and only have ourselves to blame.

Bigtime. If we had of won last night I wouldn't have cared about the final on Saturday but it has become more important for Dundalk now for morale. Two losses in a row against Rovers at home wont be good going in to the most important game of the three in two weeks.

I'd imagine you'd be in the minority there. Winning league cup final surely trumps a losing FAI cup semi final run. Players would most definitely prefer the former.

Pighead wrote: »
    Players would most definitely prefer the former.

Who cares what they want :pac:

If 3rd place isn't nailed on, a cup semi (2 games from Europe) trumps league cup anytime.

I'd imagine you'd be in the minority there. Winning league cup final surely trumps a losing FAI cup semi final run. Players would most definitely prefer the former.

Cup game was certainly the more important of the two. There is a reason the league cup is listed below our Women's FAI cup win on our honours list on the club program. We would have been hot favorites for the cup had we gone through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Drogs are gonna struggle big time tonight . 5 first team players out of an already tiny squad . Here's hoping all the same .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gary O'Neill a doubt too.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Cup game was certainly the more important of the two. There is a reason the league cup is listed below our Women's FAI cup win on our honours list on the club program. We would have been hot favorites for the cup had we gone through.
    Obviously an FAI Cup win trumps an EA Sports Cup win but I'm saying an EA Sports Cup win trumps losing in an FAI Cup Semi Final.

Shepherd's finish for his first goal last night was perfect. Strange that he didn't see much game time under Croly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Obviously an FAI Cup win trumps an EA Sports Cup win but I'm saying an EA Sports Cup win trumps losing in an FAI Cup Semi Final.

Shepherd's finish for his first goal last night was perfect. Strange that he didn't see much game time under Croly.

Your logic is flawed there piglet. You're assuming a loss in the FAI cup semi, but as things stand, rovers are potentially one game away from the FAI cup final. That potential is worth more than a league cup final win. Therefore last nights game was far more significant.

Your logic is flawed there piglet. You're assuming a loss in the FAI cup semi, but as things stand, rovers are potentially one game away from the FAI cup final. That potential is worth more than a league cup final win. Therefore last nights game was far more significant.
    Possibly. But there is also the potential that Rovers will be dumped out thus making Saturday's final victory a better achievement in retrospect. Bottom line is we do not yet know how significant last night's game was. Also, the second from bottom line is that I'm still pissed off with last night's defeat and possibly slightly butthurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Cup replay about to get underway. Keith Ward makes the bench. I would LOVE it if he comes on to grab a second half winner. Let's do this. Prediction: 2-1 to the entertainers.

Well. You got this much right! :)

• Advertisement

Pedro K wrote: »
    Well. You got this much right! :)
    I probably deserved that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Looking at the goals from the camera angle view - great free kick for the first goal and awful defending for the winner despite a great through ball from Towell ( :pac: )

Shields very poor strength against a fresh Waters and Boyle very poor showing Shep inside instead of the goal-line. Tiredness/Weariness? Still a puzzle why Dundalk didn't go for it on Friday night than adding another 90 minutes last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Holy Jaysis 5-0 to the Candystripes up at the Brandywell tonight. Rory Patterson hat-trick. Harps vs Derry would be a massive match if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rovers at home please.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Rovers at home please.

When's the draw?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Harps vs Derry would be a massive match if it happens.

I'd be amazed if this wasn't the case

A canter for Derry tonight, bar a dodgy 10mins at the start of the 2nd half.
    Drogs offered nothing at all, probably understandable given the missing players.

Would love a NW derby in the semi, then stuff Rovers in the Aviva!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd be amazed if this wasn't the case

What are you getting at? You reckon they'll rig it?! I remeber people being paranoid about the LC Final going to a shady 'coin toss' between Tallaght and Oriel and boys were staking their gaffs* and kids** on it being played in Dublin.

*Possibly true
    **Possibly not true

Omackeral wrote: »
    What are you getting at? You reckon they'll rig it?

More thinking along the lines of what the ideal semi and final setup would be for the FAI in terms of attendance/€€

Derry/ (potentially) Harps and Rovers/Pats two biggest semi combos and then Derry or Rovers in final, preferably both.

Personally I'd love us to get Harps/Avondale away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

When's the draw?

Monday according to soccer republic lads.

Both semis Sunday the 5th 1pm and 3pm.

Which is great Harps/Derry away but terrible for anyone at home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Poor showing from Drogheda tonight, Gerard Doherty had very little to do. Enjoyed the goals and great to see Patterson get a hat trick, think his fitness is still not 100% though, seems to be still carrying his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dreamers75 wrote: »

Both semis Sunday the 5th 1pm and 3pm.

Which is great Harps/Derry away but terrible for anyone at home.

You'd think Derry away at 1pm in the Semi on a Sunday is great until the hangover the next day comes into play! Not to mention barely getting home a few hours then having to trek across the city. Memories of 2012 are still vivid!

Harps leading Avondale 2-0, their dream over by the look of it.

Edit: Now 4-0, Avondale down to 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

full time 4-1 :D

thought their sending off was a bit harsh. 2 going for the ball, wasnt much in it. they got a few cards that were a bit wha? but he let a few worse tackles go too. nice not to be the ones clocking them up for a change but id expect we will be getting stuck in, in a similar fashion in the semi!
    certainly a good team that would hold their ground well in the first division. it was all one way though after the second goal.

probably 800 there. not bad for a wednesday night v a non league team and given our crowds of late and the donegal bandwagon is in full force

Edit:just seen on our forum, it was their manager who came on for the keeper!

Nice one Harps.Wishing for an Ulster Derby final now! ;)

Advertisement