Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Apple Pay - What are you thoughts

• 11-09-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

while this technically isnt an Apple 'device' it probably still belongs in this forum.

What do people think in general about this? It looks pretty slick from what i can see, no PIN just a tap to pay and fingerprint scan for security.

How long do we think it will take to make it to Ireland (if it ever does) and will it require new hardware from the retailers - or will the existing contactless payment terminals be able to accept them?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

it will never be seen here. Irish banks are two conservative. Sure wireless payments barley have a presence here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

godtabh wrote: »
    it will never be seen here. Irish banks are two conservative. Sure wireless payments barley have a presence here

Yeah true, although contactless is starting to take off now, ive seen it in more and more places:
    McDonalds
    Spar
    Aldi/Lidl
    Some Topaz stations
    (coming soon to Tesco too - you can see it as an option on the self service screens in all stores, but the hardware isnt updated in them all yet so its greyed out)

I think it will eventually come here, but banks will be slow to do it - but i reckon the payment card companies will push for it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It used to be (and maybe still is) very difficult to get a credit card machine for a shop. I could see a bank IT manager having a canary trying to figure this out.

Innovation eventually comes to IReland (when it is no longer innovative!)

Also, i have a feeling that Apple themselves will push this very hard - i.e. go directly to the major retailers and get them on board - so the banks may feel the pressure to implement it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

If Irish banks adopt it then it will take off, however they are very slow and too conservative to bring it on board... Saying that as its Apple they might sit up a bit and take notice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple will be collecting a fee from banks for every transaction made using Apple Pay - this is necessary in order to run the service. Irish banks will want their own cut as well if only to pay for the cost of implementing it, which I assume would cost a fortune (consultants, bonuses, mistakes, etc - this is Ireland). So if/when it ever comes here I can’t see many people using due to the expense. Even if Apple create an incentive, it’ll be a long time coming. I mean, when are we getting visual voice mail?

Apple will be collecting a fee from banks for every transaction made using Apple Pay - this is necessary in order to run the service. Irish banks will want their own cut as well if only to pay for the cost of implementing it, which I assume would cost a fortune (consultants, bonuses, mistakes, etc - this is Ireland). So if/when it ever comes here I can’t see many people using due to the expense. Even if Apple create an incentive, it’ll be a long time coming. I mean, when are we getting visual voice mail?

I could see Apple doing this for free or very cheap - in the interest of making their devices even more attractive - one of the things Tim Cook said was that other companies approcahed this area with a view to making a profit from it, and thats why its failed to take off in any sort of real way - but Apple are putting the customer first and designing the user experience - now on saying that, its no real indication of them doing anything for free, but you never know

EDIT: i just read how apple will make their money - they have struck a deal with the major card players to pay apple a per transaction fee to feature their cards on their devices - so it appears Visa, Matercard etc are willing to pay Apple to put their card on iPhones/Watches

I wonder if this will translate to higher transaction charges?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They won’t be offering it for free. Apple don’t do loss-making. I agree they won’t look to profit from it, but they’ll want it to pay for itself. I assume whatever processing fee they look for will end up getting passed on to the retailer.

They won’t be offering it for free. Apple don’t do loss-making. I agree they won’t look to profit from it, but they’ll want it to pay for itself. I assume whatever processing fee they look for will end up getting passed on to the retailer.

yes correct - i just edited my last post to say:
    i just read how apple will make their money - they have struck a deal with the major card players to pay apple a per transaction fee to feature their cards on their devices - so it appears Visa, Matercard etc are willing to pay Apple to put their card on iPhones/Watches

I wonder if this will translate to higher transaction charges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'd say we will see visual voicemail and an Apple Store in Ireland before we see Apple Pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No. The banks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I think it has a reasonable chance of showing up at some point because Visa and Mastercard are backing it.
    Apple needs to push them to push it on their customer banks.

I don't think the Irish banks are totally adverse to technology a few have rolled out Visa's service for sending money on your phone with an app.
    AIB even had an innovative service back in 2001 where you could install an app on your PC that generated single use credit card numbers to use online. They dropped it after a while though.

I am not so pessimistic. Banks make money from credit card transactions. Credit card transactions increase with mobiles using them everywhere. Apple will probably make this real easy for them. Give then the software and say - install that and your done.

Most of the software might be installed with VISA etc. anyway.

Here is how VISA works.

http://bmimatters.com/2012/03/19/understanding-visa-business-model/

Tl:dr VISA really supplies the technology between the card owner, merchant, and bank. Since VISA agree to Apples system then Apple will get a cut in that link ( from the merchants fee no doubt) and VISA hope to make it up on volume. Apple just need to break even.

So it would be visa (etc) who really need to be in board and they are. The banks don't have to do anything except what they are doing - checking account balances on the authorisation request from the card company, and debiting the customers accounts every month or so. Can't see them complaining.

So more info. It looks like there needs to be a dedicated retail device for this.

1) the iPhone queries the device which might be a scanner. Sends no credit card details.
    2) merchant device says tree fiddy DOLLAH.
    3) iPhone has credit card details so talks to VISA says "can this bozo afford $350, here's the credentials." There is an extra field saying "from Apple". Apple probably record this too.
    4) VISA does what it does. Apple doesn't get involved.
    5) sale goes through. 2.5% goes to VISA.
    6) every Q Apple says - there were $x M worth of transactions from the iPhone, give me 10% of the 2.5%.

Banks not involved.

So more info. It looks like there needs to be a dedicated retail device for this.

1) the iPhone queries the device which might be a scanner. Sends no credit card details.
    2) merchant device says tree fiddy DOLLAH.
    3) iPhone has credit card details so talks to VISA says "can this bozo afford $350, here's the credentials." There is an extra field saying "from Apple". Apple probably record this too.
    4) VISA does what it does. Apple doesn't get involved.
    5) sale goes through. 2.5% goes to VISA.
    6) every Q Apple says - there were $x M worth of transactions from the iPhone, give me 10% of the 2.5%.

Banks not involved.

it is interesting that Visa / MasterCard etc are dealing directly with Apple for revenue

Visa and Mastercard don't actually set the transaction charges for the retailers (thats between the merchant card service provider and the retailer) so this may not actually have an impact on transaction charges at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,089 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Don't think this tech will take off for a few years yet. There's a few flaws with this system which will hold it back. Whatever about the US, I cannot ever see it taking off in Ireland and becoming as widely used as credit cards are now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Don't think this tech will take off for a few years yet. There's a few flaws with this system which will hold it .

What do you think is flawed in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Don't think this tech will take off for a few years yet. There's a few flaws with this system which will hold it back. Whatever about the US, I cannot ever see it taking off in Ireland and becoming as widely used as credit cards are now.
    It will take off. From 2015 all American shops who provide credit card facilities have to upgrade to chip and pin. So people will be getting new machines. Perfect timing to release this and with the major banks on board it will take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

shanec1928 wrote: »
    It will take off. From 2015 all American shops who provide credit card facilities have to upgrade to chip and pin. So people will be getting new machines. Perfect timing to release this and with the major banks on board it will take off.
    I don't know what this "dedicated retail device" mentioned above is but if it can only be used by Apple phones (roughly 50% of the US market) and if a competitor supports 80-90% (eg Android and iOS) they have a stronger chance. It would be very very hard for a small retailer to get a pay terminal/device that they know will only support half their customers and another device for the other half.

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »
    I don't know what this "dedicated retail device" mentioned above is but if it can only be used by Apple phones (roughly 50% of the US market) and if a competitor supports 80-90% (eg Android and iOS) they have a stronger chance. It would be very very hard for a small retailer to get a pay terminal/device that they know will only support half their customers and another device for the other half.

Nah, Apple have already said it will work with all NFC terminals, it's just a piece of software that's needed to decrypt the info from Apple devices. There's no way Apple would do this and require a standalone terminal just for their product. At the end of the day NFC is NFC it works with all card types and all banks support it, it's just the processing software I'd imagine needs upgrading (and the hardware too if it's not already NFC enabled, but they'd have to do this anyway for the normal contactless payments all banks now offer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people saying it won't take off and what flaws do you know about?

Also see other comments that Irish banks wouldn't go for this but US would.

I have found Irish banking systems somewhat better than others, for example cheques still huge in the US for payments whereas electronic more popular here.

Even in personal bankng it's been possible to change your own ATM card PIN and I couldn't do that when I lived in the Netherlands. Also CHip and pin been introduced ahead of pother countries too.

Truth of the matter is that if the banks see it can work and there's profits to be made as it will lead to more transactions then they will get behind it and it will take off.

ukoda wrote: »
    What do you think is flawed in it?

Well, it requires a standalone device to process the payments which apparently is expensive. The expensive product will be at the cost of the retailer. Smaller retailers won't bother installing them as there's no financial benefit to them doing so. It's as easy to whip out your card to pay for something as it is to whip out your phone. Also, it doesn't benefit apple financially so they're not going to be too concerned about pushing it further. In the US best buy trialled this but eventually gave up as it simply didn't work and refused to sign up this time around. No doubt apple will make a good fist of it but I'd say it will be years before it comes as commonplace as payment cards.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well, it requires a standalone device to process the payments which apparently is expensive. The expensive product will be at the cost of the retailer. Smaller retailers won't bother installing them as there's no financial benefit to them doing so. It's as easy to whip out your card to pay for something as it is to whip out your phone. Also, it doesn't benefit apple financially so they're not going to be too concerned about pushing it further. In the US best buy trialled this but eventually gave up as it simply didn't work and refused to sign up this time around. No doubt apple will make a good fist of it but I'd say it will be years before it comes as commonplace as payment cards.

Well it doesn't necessarily require a standalone terminal device at all. Just an NFC enabled one, which are becoming more and more common place in Ireland now anyway, as we now all have contactless enabled cards

The money is in it for Apple as visa / MasterCard and AmEx have all agreed to cut apple in on every transaction using apple pay

Best Buy never trailed Apple pay, they trailed other contactless payments, but with the backing of Apple and all major card issuers plus all the major banks, I can't see how they wouldn't implement it this time

Also while ios may have a 50% market share in the US, they will need either an iPhone 6 or 6 plus, further reducing the amount of people who can use apple pay. Not getting wallmart on board could come back to bite them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Also while ios may have a 50% market share in the US, they will need either an iPhone 6 or 6 plus, further reducing the amount of people who can use apple pay. Not getting wallmart on board could come back to bite them.

Oh really? So the iPhone 5S will support the Apple Watch but not Apple Pay? I'm sure Apple has valid security reasons but that really does reduce further the amount of people that can use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Visa Europe will roll out Apple Pay next year.
    http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2364539/visa-to-roll-out-apple-pay-across-europe-in-2015

Both Visa and Mastercard are moving to requiring NFC support in the terminals.
    With Mastercard from 2016 any new terminal must support NFC and from 2020 they will no longer allow non NFC terminals to accept their cards.
    Mastercard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

dloob wrote: »
    Visa Europe will roll out Apple Pay next year.
    http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2364539/visa-to-roll-out-apple-pay-across-europe-in-2015

Both Visa and Mastercard are moving to requiring NFC support in the terminals.
    With Mastercard from 2016 any new terminal must support NFC and from 2020 they will no longer allow non NFC terminals to accept their cards.

Mastercard

So that's the answer, we will adopt when we are pushed into it in 2020.

Oh really? So the iPhone 5S will support the Apple Watch but not Apple Pay? I'm sure Apple has valid security reasons but that really does reduce further the amount of people that can use it.

Well there's no NFC chip in any iPhone before the 6.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

They might be more concerned about the actual spending power if that 50% as well though.

You are swimming around for excuses. If the NFC contactless phones just need extra software that's going to a no brainer as the Americans say.

Advertisement