Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin place to eat this eve?

Options
  • 11-09-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Hi there, Im heading up to Dublin for the night for work meeting. Ill be on my own for the night though and wondering is there somewhere friendly enough with good food around Dame Street area that I could sit in and eat and not be looked at cos Im a loner for the eve?! I know its a strange one but I never travel alone usually and dunno the city scene much. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

What sort of food do you think you'd fancy? If I was eating out alone, I'd probably pick somewhere a bit casual- a quick walk up and down the street will show you that you're essentially spoiled for choice. My own personal preference for casual solo food on Dame street would be somewhere like Umi Falafal.

Actually, Yo Sushi (not too far from Dame street, just behind Brown Thomas) would be VERY comfortable to eat in alone as they have a bar-style layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

O'Neills (just off Dame Street on Suffolk Street) is a pub but they do a very nice (and substantial) carvery. You can also get hot sandwiches. Very busy place with lots of visitors passing through, full of alcoves. I don't think anyone would pay any heed to a single diner there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If I'm eating on my own I'd usually pop into a pub. Porterhouse does nice food (Parliament St and Nassau St) or the Bull & Castle at the top of Dame Street (beside Christchurch).

Haven't eaten in the Bank or O'Neills but they're decent options too. Honest to Goodness is a lovely casual eating spot near the Stag's Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bull & Castle or Bison Bar would be my two recommendations, Bison is my pre-blood donation meal after work when I'm on my tod!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You're spoilt for choice around there. Probably best you say what type food.
    There's yamamori just up Georges St if you like noodles / asian.
    Nandos isn't far off Dame street either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd go into anywhere that takes your fancy to be honest. It's the city centre. You see plenty of people on their own having a bite to eat after they get off work, or after they have done some shopping, or before they head to a show. No one is going to give you a hard time, or look at you funny just because you are on your own. Although I agree with the other posters, if you feel self conscious about it, one of the pubs mentioned is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭snowgal

Thanks all. Yea Bull and Castle might be good. I also love Asian food, not sushi so much. I don't know if I'd be self conscious! I've never been out in dublin on my own so wasn't sure if it seem strange to others that's all. I suppose I could get take out either and back to the room. It'd be nice to sit in though. Mmm heard nandos good too, might look at that, thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

snowgal wrote: »
    Thanks all. Yea Bull and Castle might be good. I also love Asian food, not sushi so much. I don't know if I'd be self conscious! I've never been out in dublin on my own so wasn't sure if it seem strange to others that's all. I suppose I could get take out either and back to the room. It'd be nice to sit in though. Mmm heard nandos good too, might look at that, thanks again :)

If you like chicken, id go for crackbird over Nandos. Asian food, Id go for wagamamas.
    Honestly OP, no one is going to look twice at you eating on your own.

Great I'll go for it do thanks! I lovvve chicken! Is crack bird near dame street or wagamamas either? Both sound good to me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Crack Bird is on Dame St. Fab food.. love the place.

Linky here

I've often gone out for a bite to eat or a pint on my own in Dublin. No one bats an eyelid as so many pass through on business on their own that it's fairly normal at this stage.

Bring a book/kindle or a tablet with you, put on some music and no one will bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

snowgal wrote: »
    Great I'll go for it do thanks! I lovvve chicken! Is crack bird near dame street or wagamamas either? Both sound good to me!

if you go for crackbird, go for the garlic and soy chicken...so nice :)

Well after all that I ended up with fish and chips from Leo burdocks!! :P a friend said I had to....'twas good stuff, but thanks everyone for the help. MYbe crack bird tomorrow
    (full as full can be!)

Advertisement