Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cupcakes sold at door

Options
  • 11-09-2014 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else had them knock at their door?

They just knocked here and knocked about a month before. They are on about starting a new business,but both times didn't leave a business card or even have a name on the boxes.

Seems a bit strange

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Not in Dublin but I've seen one lady selling baked goods at a car park. She approached me one day with a bag full of stuff, looked home baked, asking if I wanted to buy. It did explain why she was in the car park every time I seemed to be there. Don't know if she ever sold anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah, they called to us about a month ago. We just said we weren't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Was wondering about this myself had them knock three times in the last few months. They didnt look at all ligit or interested in selling cupcakes. I half wondered if they were scoping out what houses were empty in the day time but im probably paranoid! Interested to see if anyone has more info on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

They are nice, but im not sure if six for €10 is good,but very strange to not have any name on them.

Herself buys similar cupcakes in Navan for birthdays etc and there is a sticker with the name and number on the box.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dont buy from them, no legit food business works that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The speil is that they are starting up and trying to get the money together, but honestly I can make more cup cakes for that ammount of money myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I wouldn't buy them(like when some fella tried the same with some candles),but the parents usually answer and are easily persuaded unfortunatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Same here, to be honest I thought they were stolen. From a deliver truck. As they looked liked, something you buy in the supermarket.
    Didn't buy said nah I bake me own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We had someone knock selling cupcakes a while ago saying it was for the local youth group...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Happened to me too. But knocking on doors to sell cupcakes is just so strange :pac:

I thought that either a bakery truck suddenly found themselves a few crates lighter or it's someone thinking they could make a few quid selling door to door. Which is also a strange idea :pac:

lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

Sounds like The Muffin Men. I do have a link but it won't allow me as it says I'm a new user even after all this time. I'm sure I've posted more than 50 times. Ah well. They are on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

If you look at the facebook page, it does seem to be a legit business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Gaspode wrote: »
    Dont buy from them, no legit food business works that way.

Of course they do. They're attempting to think "outside the box"

If you can't bring Mohammad to the Mountain, then why not bring the mountain to Mohammad :)

I say good on them. Won't begrude anyone trying to make a few quid.
    But it's a strange idea alright :pac: As anyone can go to Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes, Spar etc etc and get a cupcake. Hardly a shortage of places to buy here in Blanchardstown. Look what happened to average Milk Man.

But then on the other hand Sky, Vodafone and heck even the travellers are always knocking door to door selling. They all wouldn't be if there wasn't money to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Look what happened to average Milk Man.

Milkmen are still very active, we've had one coming twice a week for the last 4 or 5 years. They're very fancy these days, payments are made online and you can modify your order, pause it, cancel it, all from their website, mymilkman.ie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Milkmen are still very active, we've had one coming twice a week for the last 4 or 5 years. They're very fancy these days, payments are made online and you can modify your order, pause it, cancel it, all from their website, mymilkman.ie

Still around but it's no longer the golden age of yesterday now is it ;)
    I remember when I was a kid and near enough every house used the milk man. Sure, one of my neighbours was a milk man :pac:
    But as time went by and supermarkets, shopping centres, spars and the like opened everywhere the business fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

We never had a milk man in the 80s or 90s, and the only reason why I know there was actually one in the general area at the time as the dog would occasionally come home with some after knicking it from someones doorstep.

They're pretty handy to have now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Remember when cupcakes used to be called buns? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cupcakes and buns are actually different, although most of the ones that are sold as cupcakes in this country are buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Remember when cupcakes used to be called buns? :D

There is a difference
    Buns are generally small yeast breads, baked in individual servings. Buns can be savory or sweet. Cupcakes are small cakes, also baked in individual servings, but much sweeter and leavened with baking powder or baking soda for a tender crumb. Also, cupcakes typically are frosted with buttercream or some other decorative frosting.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    We never had a milk man in the 80s or 90s, and the only reason why I know there was actually one in the general area at the time as the dog would occasionally come home with some after knicking it from someones doorstep.

They're pretty handy to have now though.

did your dog also eat your homework? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Ah, technically I know cupcakes and buns are different, but it seems now that everything in a paper case with a swirl of icing on it is a 'cupcake'!

Tis far from cupcakes we were reared! I think it's the Americanism that amuses me.

Just an observation, however. Carry on!

Advertisement