Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows update not working

Options
  • 11-09-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm running windows 7. I keep getting an error saying the windows update service is not started and when I go into services it is started. I stop and start the service and I still cannot update. I have tried several several solutions on the Microsoft website and none of them are helping me to get the updates to start working again.

I manually downloaded the sp1 and when I try to install that there is a catastrophic failure and when I google the error and try the solutions on the Microsoft website I still cant run the updates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Is this a machine being repaired, or a new setup?
    Is it currently on Service pack 1 or windows 7 base. And what version of IE are you using?

I'd try to confirm that Internet explorer is functioning properly.

Windows Update is heavily reliant on internet explorer, so if this is a repair, reinstalling IE 9 on the machine might be worthwhile as newer versions require Win 7 SP1.

Also running "sfc /scannow" from the command line and malwarebytes to look for non microsoft causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Try doing a clean boot and see if you can start updates. Remember to undo afterwards.

Advertisement