Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 4 - "Listen"

Options
  • 11-09-2014 2:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

With a so-so start to the season, last weeks episode being the first story that I overtly enjoyed, this weeks comes with a trailer that genuinely intrigues me. The new series has always done pretty well when it tried to instill that creeping dread over things lurking in the corner of the room - and what could be worse than unknown beasties lying under your bed? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

This a damn good episode the only one I really liked from the leaked screener episodes that I watched so saturday I will be watching this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

GallifreyTimes Review
    Ultimately, Listen will be an episode that is remembered until the very end of Doctor Who. The episode dives into subjects that will cause divides in opinions, but nevertheless, the episode will be in many people's Top 10 episodes of Doctor Who

I agree 100%

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ye feckers.

You're raising my expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm being brutally honest here, this episode is a massive make or break for a lot of people.

I grew up watching Doctor Who, renting cassettes from local video places to watch old seasons and using my neighbours TV to record re-runs. I grew into the re-do with Eccleston, loved David Tennant and weeped when he left, wasn't fond of Smith but he quickly became my favourite Doctor by far. I also love Capaldi as an actor, but he hasn't caught me yet as the Doctor. He mumbles his words and the plots have been weak, I know new Doctors can be slow, but I truly and desperately want to love this new Doctor.

I've read the reviews and managed to avoid spoilers, and this episode is supposed to be fantastic. Gods I hope it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm being brutally honest here, this episode is a massive make or break for a lot of people.

I grew up watching Doctor Who, renting cassettes from local video places to watch old seasons and using my neighbours TV to record re-runs. I grew into the re-do with Eccleston, loved David Tennant and weeped when he left, wasn't fond of Smith but he quickly became my favourite Doctor by far. I also love Capaldi as an actor, but he hasn't caught me yet as the Doctor. He mumbles his words and the plots have been weak, I know new Doctors can be slow, but I truly and desperately want to love this new Doctor.

I've read the reviews and managed to avoid spoilers, and this episode is supposed to be fantastic. Gods I hope it really is.

never mind the reviews. Let's all wait until the episode airs tonight and then we can all judge for ourselves.

• Advertisement

Excited :D

Gonna make some room behind the sofa...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Did the Doctor just say "Dat's skills"?

Dad skills

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That was stunning.

The way it absolutely blindsided me with a Doctor Origin's story was just....

Stunning. The last 10 minutes was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Best episode so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jenna is just so pretty.

Now to the episode that was mind blowingly good.

that was amazing and i was on edge nearly biting my nails

but we saw something behind them in the first little boy scene so whats the story with that

bluewolf wrote: »
    that was amazing and i was on edge nearly biting my nails

but we saw something behind them in the first little boy scene so whats the story with that

One of the other kids playing a prank probably. They explained what pretty much everything was in the episode (probably).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

That was a solid episode.

creeping dread is an artform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

That war doctor flashback blindsided me. Absolutely brilliant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I thought it interesting, provided back story and a strong performance from Clara and The Dr (that evil grin) ... but
    I was expecting more horror elements. Having cats, I'd know already that homes are populated by evil demonic creatures, and turning one's back is not really a tactic in comparison with episodes featuring the "Empty Child" or the Stone Angels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Very clever episode. Good suspense....

Reminded me a bit of 'midnight' , 'Family of blood'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Very clever episode. Good suspense....

Reminded me a bit of 'midnight' , 'Family of blood'

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Great episode! I thought it was going to just be one for the kiddies at the start but bit of a emotional roller coaster with lots of awkward first date moments

Question, is the barn on gallifrey? i always thought no but now im questioning that... I has also assumed that everything timelord related was time locked with the rest of the war but tonight's episode opens up opportunities for a timelord centric episode set before the war :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Good episode. Clever twist. Although Clara managed to drag the absolute arse out of the twist at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Nice episode, but I'm not a fan of this 'picking her up and dropping her off sh!t'. What's wrong with a bit of commitment for god's sake? I grew up with Tom Baker and his successors, and they had the decency to stick with him, not just go along for the ride then go back to the day job. Sorry, but it bugs me.

Tsk... kids these days!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Now that was a good un. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

scream wrote: »
    Nice episode, but I'm not a fan of this 'picking her up and dropping her off sh!t'. What's wrong with a bit of commitment for god's sake? I grew up with Tom Baker and his successors, and they had the decency to stick with him, not just go along for the ride then go back to the day job. Sorry, but it bugs me.

Tsk... kids these days!

I actually think it's more "realistic" (as much as it can be in a show about a time traveler). The idea that someone would just drop their lives and run off for months and not see family, friends or whatever just didn't work for me. Much prefer the notion that the Doctor is this figure who drops in and out of their lives, a figure who is not a normal person but someone who lets people tag along for the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Great episode! I thought it was going to just be one for the kiddies at the start but bit of a emotional roller coaster with lots of awkward first date moments

Question, is the barn on gallifrey?

i think so. Makes perfect sense when you consider the events of "Day of the doctor" when the doctor is there with "The Moment"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I assume The Doctor doesn't have a set 'look' as such?

he was still wearing the jumper with the holes in it

i forgot to say i liked today's reference to him with dan the soldierman: he's so super he doesn't need a gun to save the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

Wow. One of the best Doctor Who episodes ever, in my opinion. Beautiful. Brought a tear to the eye at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Excellent episode. Nice play on 'What is a Time Lord? ' Is it a race of people or an academic title?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I actually think it's more "realistic" (as much as it can be in a show about a time traveler). The idea that someone would just drop their lives and run off for months and not see family, friends or whatever just didn't work for me. Much prefer the notion that the Doctor is this figure who drops in and out of their lives, a figure who is not a normal person but someone who lets people tag along for the ride.

I know what you mean, but it just seems so very ungrateful to me. Look at it this way, I moved to Ireland from England 7 years ago and mainly stay in touch with my family through infrequent phone calls, more frequent texts and the odd(once a year mostly) visit. Would it kill little miss companion to do the same? She has her time-spanning-mobile so can call(and presumably text) her family and friends whenever she wants, just as I can with my family. She could clearly drop in on them on the odd occasion too, just as I do. The only difference is, with a time machine, she has it soo much easier than I do. Anyone that's attempted to fly with Ryanair will know what I mean here.

I'm not seeing the issue with committing to a once in a lifetime opportunity with the doctor. She's young and should be grabbing her time-travelling experiences with both hands, not moaning about being dragged away from her date. She's young. There's plenty of time for that. The doctor's not going to be in her life forever. He never is.

At her age, I'd have grabbed him with both hands, hung on tight and not let go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

flazio wrote: »
    Excellent episode. Nice play on 'What is a Time Lord? ' Is it a race of people or an academic title?
    Strictly speaking, I think the people are called Gallifreyans, and Time Lord/Lady are like a class (or something to that effect) of that. Not everyone from Gallifrey was likely to be a Time Lord I'd think.

Advertisement