Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology journalists dissed by, er, a technology journalist

Options
  • 11-09-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

From Karlin Lillington's column in the Irish Times today
    The job of a journalist is not to cheerlead, but to ask hard questions. To be sceptical at product launches. To confirm Apple’s concerns from 2009 that the press might not even clap.

Maybe that final moment, when that press audience surged to its feet, said everything about what is going wrong with technology coverage in an era of barely rewritten press-release “churnalism”, advertiser-subsidised content, and writers that go reliably (G)oogly-eyed over the latest gadgets.
    Ovations are for the fanbase. Not those whose job it is to take companies, and their claims and promises, to task.

Well said indeed. I wonder is she on boards and does she have a "Boards Handle" that we might recognise?

She's jmcc, isn't she?

;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I watched less than a minute of the new iphone/iwatch press release, they were talking about the new slow motion function added to the phone (which was in my old HTC One X which is 2 and half years old..) and as soon as they started playing the slow mo video, people were cheering and clapping. Cringe..

I also saw a post on facebook showing two separate tech articles, apparently written by the same guy. The first blasting the Samsung Galaxy Note as being too big and cumbersome. He went on to say its not a phone that can be used with one hand.

The second article is for the new 5.5 iphone, which is bigger than the Galaxy note and he says it doesn't feel too big and can be used with one hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I read that article a few days ago and agree 100% with what she said, the sight of journalists standing at the front of the theatre and giving standing ovations to some guy talking about a overpriced piece of pocket or wrist technology was cringeworthy in the extreme.

Makes you wonder if the front seats were preallocated to handpicked journos selected based on fawning reviews they wrote of previous Apple launches, I suspect so.

Am I going to buy a watch for >€300 which will need a new battery in 2 years and be technically obsolete in 3-4 years? Like hell I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

coylemj wrote: »
    Makes you wonder if the front seats were preallocated to handpicked journos selected based on fawning reviews they wrote of previous Apple launches, I suspect so.

I'd be shocked if there was a single person in the room who had ever published a bad thing to say about Apple.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I watched less than a minute of the new iphone/iwatch press release, they were talking about the new slow motion function added to the phone (which was in my old HTC One X which is 2 and half years old..) and as soon as they started playing the slow mo video, people were cheering and clapping. Cringe..

I also saw a post on facebook showing two separate tech articles, apparently written by the same guy. The first blasting the Samsung Galaxy Note as being too big and cumbersome. He went on to say its not a phone that can be used with one hand.

The second article is for the new 5.5 iphone, which is bigger than the Galaxy note and he says it doesn't feel too big and can be used with one hand.
    I have just got a One Plus One phone which has a 5.5" screen. Only had it a few hours and like it but I find it is not possible to type single handed on a screen of this size. I don't think my fingers are that short either..
    It is a drawback from getting a big phone but I can't say I'm disappointed. The screen is massive and much better for web browsing.
    In fairness to Apple at least they have copped on now that people prefer larger phones. I've always found the iPhones to be tiny but I suppose that is just me being used to the bigger screens. A good move by Apple though, The larger iPhone will certainly put pressure on Samsung and the Note in the business enviornment..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

coylemj wrote: »
    I read that article a few days ago and agree 100% with what she said, the sight of journalists standing at the front of the theatre and giving standing ovations to some guy talking about a overpriced piece of pocket or wrist technology was cringeworthy in the extreme.

Am I going to buy a watch for >€300 which will need a new battery in 2 years and be technically obsolete in 3-4 years? Like hell I am.

weren't the people at the front of the theatre apple employees, is her article not based on a false premise.
    I assume it was the Apple employees who lead the standing ovation as most of the journalists stayed seated and clapped calmly.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/61162738/just-sit-back-and-apple-watch

twitter pick of the moment journos sitting or standing to take photos https://twitter.com/tim/status/509402767383740416

there we go somebody challenges her on it https://twitter.com/daveirl/status/510172080139407360 two people say there was no standing ovation from journalist at the back and she makes vague claim there journos said they were but doesn't back it up and then actually says it doesn't matter if they were or not.

typical Irish Times columnists no fact checking

there we go directly from somebody who was there https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/510730106562936832

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Was always going to happen. Apple could release a new phone that was inferior to the previous model and it would still sell like hot cakes.

I understand that people like iOS, they're used to it and it works well. I agree that at the start, Apple had the best phones and software but that's all changed now in my opinion.

I've no gripe with anyone owning an iphone but I dislike when they try to tell me its the best phone out there, or that nothing is as good as the iphone. That just isn't the truth anymore.

I remember when I got my HTC desire HD a few years back. One of my iphone mates asked me what it was, when I told him he said "oh, is that one of those cheap chinese phones?". I died a little inside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Apple need to change those boxes, to complex for their loser users.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Warnings given, please feel free to discuss matters civilly without the childish remarks. Also this thread doesn't really suit Comp & Tech so thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement