Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for parents – kids playing outside?

Options
  • 11-09-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

I am looking at two properties at the moment –
    One is closer to work/crèche/family but path/road outside the house wouldn’t be too safe to let young kids play on. Nearest green is a park with playground 10 mins away. Back garden is east facing long garden. Shops around the corner. Partially converted attic with ensuite so possibly an extra bedroom.

Other house is 50k more expensive, a bit bigger floor space, walk in condition, further from work/crèche/family but is on a very quiet road with a lovely big green right outside where you always see kids playing. Nearest playground is 20 min walk. Back garden is a small south east facing garden. (I really want a south west back garden but they rarely come up for sale so have to compromise here). Shops a drive a way.

How important is it for your kids to have a place (a green or even a wide path) to play outside the house? Also what age do kids stop playing outside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

With young kids, it is a huge advantage to have them playing right outside. Especially in a place where you can see them from the kitchen window while cooking, washing up, etc. Otherwise all housework has to get put on hold while you take them to the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Its mightn't seem like a big deal when they're just born but it only takes a few years (they fly in) and they want to go out all the time. Not they they do but mine love being outside and always ask to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stanleigh

Having moved to a small cul-de-sac estate, where the kids can play outside few months ago, I have to say that I wouldn't now have it any other way. Our eldest is five and half and is outside playing with his friends most of the days after school.
    I can keep an eye on him from the window, without having to be outside with him all the time and he loves the freedom he has.

having said that, we live in a small village now, so it's very safe out there and no traffic near us.

To us, it's an enormous benefit to having the outside space out at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

On the other hand, having a large back garden is a great advantage and while the kids won't have a green to play on, they'll have a back garden that's big enough to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I also live in a cul de sac with a central green area. Before I had kids my plan was to move to a one off house in the country and I still may do that but for now, Its absolutely fantastic to have a really safe place where they can just run around with the other kids and just play.

No big back garden comes anywhere near a replacement for that, My kids hardly ever use our back garden.

I have to say its also been fantastic for my wife, Before we had kids we didn't know many people but Just having the kids out playing she knows everybody in the estate and has joined several local clubs through her mammy mafia connections.

having to Goto the playground is no bother, its a drive away and its a treat when we do go.

So, House number 2 without a shadow of a doubt!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Thank you all so much. You have confirmed my initial thoughts.

Now let’s hope bidding doesn’t go outside our budget again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Children in cities like NYC, live in massive high rises without Gardens and get on just fine. There is a strong belief in Ireland, that a child cant function in a house without a massive garden. Which is total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Weyhey wrote: »
    Also what age do kids stop playing outside?

Well mine and my eldest sister's are 19, 19, 17, 17, 16, 14, 14 and 12 and they're still playing outside (if you call getting dressed up in camo gear and playing hide-and-seek with their baby sisters "playing" :pac: )

SisterNo.2 has younger ones, and "the green" (across the road from her driveway) is the centre of their social life, just like it's been for the two sets of cousins.

But having said that, from age 0-4, a big back garden is probably better than any playground, you can buy an awful lot of leisure activity for 50k, and I'd put a huge premium on being close to shops, work and family for the 8-16 age-group.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

One point to consider is that a green outside may well become a magnet for groups of kids and anti social behaviour, so while it may be great during the afternoon, evening and night time may be a problem.
    A big back garden means lots of other kids can come over and no parents are worried.

I had a large back garden, in a cul de sac with a huge green across the road and a park with playground within 5 mins.

The green is great but all those kids become teenagers pretty quickly too.

hfallada wrote: »
    Children in cities like NYC, live in massive high rises without Gardens and get on just fine. There is a strong belief in Ireland, that a child cant function in a house without a massive garden. Which is total BS.

Some apartment blocks are well equipped for families, others not. I think parents get as much out of a garden (sometimes even more) than the kids.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    One point to consider is that a green outside may well become a magnet for groups of kids and anti social behaviour, so while it may be great during the afternoon, evening and night time may be a problem.
    A big back garden means lots of other kids can come over and no parents are worried.

I had a large back garden, in a cul de sac with a huge green across the road and a park with playground within 5 mins.

The green is great but all those kids become teenagers pretty quickly too.

This would be a worry for me too along with the possibility of the green becoming a carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We bought last year and found a place with a decent size garden. My daughter was born in march and spends 90% of her daytime outdoors. My eldest is the same. I think it's great for them to be in the fresh air as much as possible.

The orientation of the garden doesn't matter a spec. You just plant/landscape it for the conditions you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

We have a decent sized back garden that the kids have mostly ignored since they hit the age of 3.

Personally speaking, having a road that is relatively quiet enough for the neighbourhood kids to play on together with minimal supervision is a godsend

Advertisement