Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tick Question

• 11-09-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi

I know medical advice cannot be sought here - and I'm defo not looking for it as I really don't think its neccessary just wondering if this (or similar) has happened to anyone else (or if there's a home remedy I'd love to hear it as I dont think it would be considered medical? If so please PM!)

I found a tick on my dog last night - just above her eyebrow (if dogs had eyebrows!) so a fairly sensitive spot I'd imagine - it was VERY deeply rooted and was massively engorged so how I missed it I don't know but I must have :( But after much pulling and struggle last night it came out, head and all so I know there isnt anything left of it still in there - but since and still today there's been a big massive lump at the site where the tick was, last night and this morning it was very red and sore looking - now this afternoon it doesn't seem as red, but still red and sore looking - its not bothering her, don't think she even notices it in the least so doesn't seem painful - think its just more annoying her now that I keep getting her to have a look at it and feeling all over the rest of her in paranoid of another one :o

Is this common after taking a tick out? None of my dogs have ever had one, but I've had a few myself, none were like this at all - this one was massive about the size of a large woodlouse/ woodlice - I've never seen a real one that big, I have in photos online. A friend said to me it may be possible that the tick hit directly into a vein as the skin etc around there is thin and veins would be easier to hit.

So any opinions? This may be medical advice (indirectly!) but should I take her to the vet? I've no qualms about it in the least but don't want to rush in for a non-issue either (I've done that twice already since moving here, I'm a panicky parent when it comes to my dog:o) or should I just dab some human wound cleaner on it and it'll be fine?

Again I really hope none of this against any rules - I certainly have not intended it to be just looking for some info from those who may have had this situation before - or just some general overall health opinions! I know my dog and her health are my own discretion so that's why I'm looking for opinions and not what to do, to follow it entirely and remove blame from myself onto someone else or Boards - never my intent at all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's normal for there to be a bit of a red bump where you removed the tick. Now the tick is out you can bathe the bump it if you like, with some dilute disinfectant and cotton wool. Just be sure not to get the disinfectant in the eyes. Just keep an eye on it for signs it might be getting infected, but that's unlikely if you got out all the mouthparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I took a tick off my friends dog last week & it left a sore spot.

I use the little tick removers. I have 2 sizes. The pop it made coming out was disgusting!

I keep frontline spray & use this to help remove the offenders.

Just be careful with the Frontline spray if the tick is in a spot the dog can reach to lick.

boomerang wrote: »
    Just be careful with the Frontline spray if the tick is in a spot the dog can reach to lick.

Yep I know! The one I took the other day was right on a Spinone's muzzle so no spray. It was like trying to hold down a bucking mule!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Smothering it in vaseline can sometimes do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP I wouldnt worry too much about that tick bump - looks like the bumps my dogs have had after removing a tick - just to keep an eye on it as already mentioned. I usually use sudocrem or an equicreme type antiseptic on something like that - help reduce the redness.

Does frontline spray actually cause the tick to come off???

My fathers remedy for tick removal was to burn a match and while its still very hot to touch the match head to the tick ...

Havent had any ticks here for a few years - probably because the land is grazed by sheep (less long grass) - or maybe just lucky... disgusting little things :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

aonb wrote: »
    Does frontline spray actually cause the tick to come off???

Sort of. It kills the tick... takes about 24 hours for it to be visibly dead, then it eventually falls off or can be very easily pulled out.
    My fathers remedy for tick removal was to burn a match and while its still very hot to touch the match head to the tick ...

My dad has the same remedy! But it can be a bit awkward depending on where the little fecker has attached.
    They are utterly vile creatures, right up there with leeches. Bleuch... :(

seagull wrote: »
    Smothering it in vaseline can sometimes do the trick.

It takes too long though... Meanwhile the tick can still be transmitting some pretty serious diseases to your dog. Tick remover called the O'Tom is the way to go!

DBB wrote: »
    My dad has the same remedy! But it can be a bit awkward depending on where the little fecker has attached.
    They are utterly vile creatures, right up there with leeches. Bleuch... :(

Don't ever do the burning match trick, DBB! It causes the tick to regurgitate into your dog and so transmit tick-borne diseases - all serious but none of which I can spell properly from memory! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

boomerang wrote: »
    Don't ever do the burning match trick, DBB! It causes the tick to regurgitate into your dog and so transmit tick-borne diseases - all serious but none of which I can spell properly from memory! :D

Oh sweet jebus no, I may have tried it once donkey's years ago, but never again... way too risky even if the tick didn't increase its level of disgustingness by puking into the wound :(
    We really need a vomiting smiley :o

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Oh sweet jebus no, I may have tried it once donkey's years ago, but never again... way too risky even if the tick didn't increase its level of disgustingness by puking into the wound :(
    We really need a vomiting smiley :o

I'd probably set the dog on fire........

Jesus I still feel sick thinking about the one the other day................

Advertisement