Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Battle Has Been Won

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Ahh okay, I must admit I was not very clued in to that vote, missed it entirely really. So be it, let them nanny the college even more. I can understand the perspective of being proactive and all.

Still don't really agree with banning smoking entirely. The risks are published and so be it if people want to smoke.

Thank god for that the SU must have an atrocious amount of debt to pay off at this stage.

Yeah the smoking referendum wasn't publicised very well it took place at the same time as the abortion referendum so as you can imagine that took all the headlines.

I think they are more financially stable now to be fair. Their last released accounts for June 2013 showed a net debt of 625k. While that is a lot it is a big decrease from 1.4mill the year before so you would hope that in the June 2014 accounts which I'd imagine will be released soon will show a decrease in the debt again and in a few years they may be out of debt and be in a better state financially for the future like one would hope the irish state.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

UCDCritic wrote: »
    I'm fist pumping with delightment

Below the belt, I take it.

May it be the high point of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I have no idea why kilrush is having to defend his position. Large, wide spread campus bans on smoking have been on the cards nationally both in public and private sector for years. I know many companies that it stretches back to the early 2000s. Look at most of the major hospitals in Dublin, many have it in place in one way or another for 18 months or more. To say UCD had no plans is nonsense and to claim one letter to the HSE changed it is absolutely laughable. I'm sorry UCDCritic, you had an input but your not solely responsible. There is far, far too much red tape both inside and outside UCD to make a difference with one letter. You probably, at most, jumped the vote up a few places on the agenda. Congrats either way, but honestly I feel you a shade naive.

Again, my question stands, how long as you in UCD? Because I figure from your posts it can't be more than 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

UCDCritic wrote:
    And anything I say is founded

The people who run for su positions are doing it to boost whatever career goals the have after UCD. What this means is they wouldn't dare rock the boat and stand up to the university authorities which in my opinion is a betrayal of the office and the students

They are completely tame.

One obvious example is for years the Ents officer position [...]

generalization
    dʒɛn(ə)rəlʌɪˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: generalisation
    a general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases.
    "he was making sweeping generalizations"
    the action of generalizing.
    "such anecdotes cannot be a basis for generalization"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

ironclaw wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how long have you been in UCD? Genuine question.

Longer than old man Belfield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

ironclaw wrote: »
    To say UCD had no plans is nonsense and to claim one letter to the HSE changed it is absolutely laughable.

You have no idea what I did as part of my complaint.

If the whole thing is a coincidence fair enough.

The truth is I'm just happy they finally did something about it.

Because of me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

UCDCritic wrote: »
    Because of me

blue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

This has gone on long enough. If anyone wants to start a fresh thread to discuss the issue if smoking on campus and keep it reasonable then feel free, but this one is done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement