Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone have a copy of Bungalow Bliss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I think I have a copy upstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

"Bliss"- It was all lies, I tells ya.

That's not even a really bungalow on the front ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Seems like they're worth a few pound now
    Completed auctions are a better indication of value (just saying 'cause I'm like that):
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=bungalow+bliss&LH_Complete=1

It's a bit ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Don't know about the bliss, but I did take a piss in a bungalow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My parents had a copy of Bungalow Bliss when I were a lad because they were thinking of selling up our house in town and building a godforsaken bungalow out in the sticks (about half a mile away).

I secretly got a hold of it one night when they were out and fecked it into the neighbours dustbin because I didn't want to move house.

Sorry I did now - I could have kept it, flogged it on e-bay 30 years later and had a night out on the proceeds.

Ah well, you live and learn I suppose.

My parents still live in the same estate I grew up in.

I know live in a dormer (not a bungalow as whoopsadaisydoodles rightly points out), about half a mile outside the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Oh my god I went through this book for months about fourteen years ago to pick out my first house plan. I still have it in my attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Lapin wrote: »
    My parents had a copy of Bungalow Bliss when I were a lad because they were thinking of selling up our house in town and building a godforsaken bungalow out in the sticks (about half a mile away).

I secretly got a hold of it one night when they were out and fecked it into the neighbours dustbin because I didn't want to move house.

Sorry I did now - I could have kept it, flogged it on e-bay 30 years later and had a night out on the proceeds.

Ah well, you live and learn I suppose.

My parents still live in the same estate I grew up in.

I know live in a dormer (not a bungalow as whoopsadaisydoodles rightly points out), about half a mile outside the town.
    DEAR GOD, YOU LIVE OUT IN THE STICKS:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

Dormer bungalows are a pox on the Irish landscape. They're hideously conspicuous and I despise them in all their monotonous uniformity. They're symbolic of the worst and most small minded aspects of Irishness.

Especially when a dormer is positioned beside an old farmhouse, completely incongruously. You just know the land was a present from 'the' mammy and daddy and the kid is, in essence, never going to leave home for the sake of a free site. A lifetime of bacon and cabbage dinners and driving the Dad to the Gaa match while the mother babysits is awarded with every dormer bungalow hall door key. And possibly free Garth Brooks tickets for concerts that will never happen. And a deep rooted suspicion of everything that occurs outside their parish.

Yep, I hate dormer bungalows :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Candie wrote: »
    Dormer bungalows are a pox on the Irish landscape. They're hideously conspicuous and I despise them in all their monotonous uniformity. They're symbolic of the worst and most small minded aspects of Irishness.

Especially when a dormer is positioned beside an old farmhouse, completely incongruously. You just know the land was a present from 'the' mammy and daddy and the kid is, in essence, never going to leave home for the sake of a free site. A lifetime of bacon and cabbage dinners and driving the Dad to the Gaa match while the mother babysits is awarded with every dormer bungalow hall door key. And possibly free Garth Brooks tickets for concerts that will never happen. And a deep rooted suspicion of everything that occurs outside their parish.

I agree.

I hate how dormer bungalows do that to people. I also hate the way legs are designed to fit in trousers and backsides designed to sit in chairs.

:pac::p

• Advertisement

That's not even a really bungalow on the front ffs.
    I agree.

I hate how dormer bungalows do that to people.

I knew I wasn't alone! :)

I know I'm stereotyping here, but it's a genuine blight on the landscape to have these isolated dwellings pockmarking the scenery in Ireland. I can't understand how most of them get permission to go ahead with the build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I know I'm stereotyping here, but it's a genuine blight on the landscape to have these isolated dwellings pockmarking the scenery in Ireland. I can't understand how most of them get permission to go ahead with the build.

What's your opinion on small stone cottages with a red timber door and a thatched roof? Just out of interest

also a lot of the time the bungalow is not for the son or daughter but to replace the old farmhouse. They don't really believe in maintainence and think newer must mean better so they let the old farmhouse go to ruin in persuit of modernity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Sure a lot of the bungalows around the place aren't half bad after,

After what, demolition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Nooooooo seems himself dumped 3 various copies in charity shop last week, aghhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

I have it but under it's original title of 'F**ked In Ireland'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bungalow Blitz

What's your opinion on small stone cottages with a red timber door and a thatched roof? Just out of interest

also a lot of the time the bungalow is not for the son or daughter but to replace the old farmhouse. They don't really believe in maintainence and think newer must mean better so they let the old farmhouse go to ruin in persuit of modernity

I suppose the thatched roof cottages were the bungalows of old. They're more in tune with the landscape than a hideous monstrosity with magnolia paint and plastic double glazing - and bonus horror points if they have a fake Victorian lampost in the driveway. Those don't exactly resonate in the same way as a weathered, traditional building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

Hahaha! Our cousins is always known as the " Bliss" house coz it came from that book. Horrible little 80s house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I live in the house that dad was born in with planning in for a house near enough here. I'm not here because I want mam's stew everyday or to talk shiite to the local gossip. I've travelled, seen all I wanted to see. Now I'm back, living and working in a small rural area. I love it. To live permanently in a soulless housing estate where you could hear your neighbours every move yet not know them from Adam is my idea of hell. The thoughts of traffic jams, bad public transport, fumes, loud neighbours, barking dogs, sirens and constant noise would be torture.

I genuinely couldn't do it. I grew up on a farm and yearned for it every place I was. Now I'm back and hoping to build and spend the rest of my life here with my family, neighbours bad most of my friends near enough me but still having my peace and privacy. To know that if I'm in bother, I have 20 people in a miles radius that know me and care about me but don't bother me unless I want them to is lovely.

Anyway, long story short, I live in Roscommon, not famed for its beauty but I'm building a house that hopefully should compliment it's lovely surroundings and not stick out like a sore thumb. To be honest most house around here look the part. Plus I'm near the football pitch. Very important. There ya go, I'm filling all your stereotypes. Except it's not a dormer. Not crazy on the aul dormers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

The real fault for bungalow blight lay with planners who completely lost sight of traditional building styles appropriate to the area. The councils made you jump through 50 hoops to get permission to build and then allowed a spanish villa in the middle of connemara or the wicklow hills.
    A lot of architects should also hang their heads in shame. :mad:

• Advertisement

Rasheed wrote: »
    To live permanently in a soulless housing estate where you could hear your neighbours every move yet not know them from Adam is my idea of hell. The thoughts of traffic jams, bad public transport, fumes, loud neighbours, barking dogs, sirens and constant noise would be torture.

I'm genuinely glad you're happy (and that you won't build an ubiquitous dormer) :).

There aren't only two places and ways to live though - your only alternative to a countryside bungalow isn't a soulless housing estate - I've never lived in either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

...I love this post so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭big man andy

Any copies floating then?

P.S. For the record, "Mammy and Daddy" did NOT give me a free bit of Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Bungalows are actually much more sensible for an ageing population. Stairs will be a no no for most of us in the future, or the near future :( and a bungalow would make independent home living possible that bit longer. The two story "aesthetic" in the countryside was always just snobbery IMHO. However, each to their own. Planning permission permitting.
    No brown envelopes were used in the preparation of this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I grew up in Westmeath and the number of my schoolmates who build dormer bungalows on sites provided to them by their parents is crazy. There were about 20 houses on the road I grew up on in the 80's (the road was two miles long). By the end of the boom there were three times that. Most were huge monstrosities that looked out of place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I'd love an old thatched cottage, horse a bit of insulation into it, be grand. Much nicer than the new tack and some of the modern square boxy minimalist scandanavian eco-houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lapin wrote: »

Do you only live in the dormer part?

"A dormer is a structural element of a building that protrudes from the plane of a sloping roof surface"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Grayson wrote: »
    I grew up in Westmeath and the number of my schoolmates who build dormer bungalows on sites provided to them by their parents is crazy. There were about 20 houses on the road I grew up on in the 80's (the road was two miles long). By the end of the boom there were three times that. Most were huge monstrosities that looked out of place.

With stone gables or, preferably all over the walls visible from the road. I used to work with someone who was building a (5-bed, all ensuite) house during the boom, and she used to delight in bringing her plans into work to show us the latest idea/ improvement. Nice girl but everything was on a Texas scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

#culchieproblems

• Advertisement
Advertisement