Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Red Spider

• 11-09-2014 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for information on a spider I came across today in the garden at work. I didn't have my phone so I couldn't get a pic, hopefully the description will be enough.
    Basically he was about the size of a Euro coin, reddish/brown, very fat and appeared to have trouble walking because of his size. He was also eating a wasp at the time! I've never seen anything like him in Ireland before. He had a pattern on his back that was black or dark grey, can't remember the design really.
    His web got attached to me when I brushed off a hedge and I looked at my arm and there he was, wasp and all! I got startled and he fell on the lawn and trundled off with great difficulty. I waited until he was out of danger in case anyone stepped on him.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Was it a garden spider?
    http://www.arkive.org/garden-spider/araneus-diadematus/

I have one out in the side passage of the house, her web at head level and HUGE, spanning across the passage. I keep forgetting she's there and almost walking into the web, like something out of an Indiana Jones movie :eek:
    Much as I admire spiders, I prefer to do so from a distance :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hate spiders so much lol.

When I see one I try to bring the outside, if not out comes the hoover :pac:

Advertisement