Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of renting out my house...

Options
  • 11-09-2014 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

....I have a small question for both LL and tenants.

I built a large stone shed/workshop a few years ago (22' x 11')
    I sectioned off a side (5'x11') for use as the shed and the rest is used as a workshop (I have motorbikes and tools in it)

If I rented my house would I HAVE to give access to the workshop side?
    The shed side is plenty big enough for a shed.

I dont know how long we would be gone for and I dont want to have to clear it out (its got metal shelves and work benchs etc)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Don't know about the legalities of it but insurance would be a issue maybe? You'd only be able to get landlords insurance which wouldn't cover your contents there only kitchen, furniture etc. Tenants content ins wouldn't cover your stuff either. But maybe there is a way around this

We viewed a rental, where the guy had locked the box room and had some personal stuff in there and gone to OZ. we passed it by based on insurance and not knowing what was in there. What if it had been drugs or something else illegal or dubious? How would he prove what was in here if there'd been a fire etc. was a bit too messy for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Id have no problem letting them see inside to show them theres nothing dodgy going on.

im mainly worried that if given the run of the workshop they'll just use it as a dumping ground

Can you not just show them the contents so they know there's nothing dodgy going on and then just lock it with a padlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Locking off a room so that the tenants have no access is quite common.

I don't see insurance as a problem: you insure the stuff you own (being 100% up-front with the insurance company about where it is and how it's secured), and have LL insurance for the house. The tenants insure they stuff they own, and have no contact or interest in what you own.

The minimum standards for a rental property do not include a shed or a garage or a workshop, so you are not even required to provide any access to them at all.

The only issue might be if you cannot securely lock off the workshop, or if the tenants have to get into it for some reason, eg the switchboard is there. But if you leave a good property manager dealing with the tenancy, they an give access to electricians etc as needed and not to the tenant.s

Advertisement