Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leylandii tress dying

• 11-09-2014 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

hi, i have about 100 leylandii trees. aprox 30 years old, some are loosing their bark and dying, some have died. anyone any idea why? i thought it might be to do with lack of light but im not so sure, other ideas would be ivy killing them or there are a lot of elder trees sprouting up beside them. anyone know the life span of these trees.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

leylandii are hard to kill. A few photos of the damage and site would help. Cant see ivy or elder doing them much damage really. maby drought or chemical spill??? did someone spray weedkiller nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

Oldtree wrote: »
    leylandii are hard to kill. A few photos of the damage and site would help. Cant see ivy or elder doing them much damage really. maby drought or chemical spill??? did someone spray weedkiller nearby?

just thinking there, we had a poplar tree that we cut down and then drilled with holed and put poison in to kill it off, would the poison have travelled in the roots to some of the leylandii tress i wonder? i have also noticed what look like wood worm holes in 1 of the trees that is not dead but the bark is falling off it.
    will take some pictures and post them.

I think that the poplar and lleylandii roots would have to have grafted onto one another for the poison to travel across, so I think that is an unlikely culprit.

You didn't by any chance overpurne them?

I think that the poplar and lleylandii roots would have to have grafted onto one another for the poison to travel across, so I think that is an unlikely culprit.

You didn't by any chance overpurne them?

ha, no they get pruned every year or 2 years but not over pruned. wonder would the hard winter a few years ago have anything to do with it?

lleylandi are on a continental holiday here :D so I wouldn't think it is the weather. Thy may be affected if a tightly trimmed hedge was trimmed very late in the season and the newly exposed softer growth was hit by a severe frost.

• Advertisement

lleylandi are on a continental holiday here :D so I wouldn't think it is the weather. Thy may be affected if a tightly trimmed hedge was trimmed very late in the season and the newly exposed softer growth was hit by a severe frost.

few pictures.

another picture

not enough to go on there. has something been stripping the bark off them? got any deer?

not enough to go on there. has something been stripping the bark off them? got any deer?

no, its just falling off by itself, no deer around.

any recent basal damage on the damaged trees? Does the bark fall off down to the roots or does it fall off in upwards? really need a bit more than you are providing

• Advertisement

any recent basal damage on the damaged trees? Does the bark fall off down to the roots or does it fall off in upwards? really need a bit more than you are providing

no basal damage.
    i will have to check again but im pretty sure the bark is not missing all the way down to the roots.

Do you live beside the sea?

Do you live beside the sea?

no, no where near it.

This is like 20 questions :D or pulling teeth :D

This is like 20 questions :D or pulling teeth :D

ha i know, sorry i cant tell ya any more, suppose it could be anything really.

If it is progressive and you want to retain the trees then an on site visit by an arborist will sort you out. Press there VVVVVVVV :D

If it is progressive and you want to retain the trees then an on site visit by an arborist will sort you out. Press there VVVVVVVV :D

or you lol ok thanks i think i will have to take your advice there, it would be a disaster to loose more trees. id say there are about 6 dead already.

It is odd, but there could be any number of reasons and it would need an on site assessment to find out whats going on :D

It is odd, but there could be any number of reasons and it would need an on site assessment to find out whats going on :D

ok, will investigate further and report back, thanks for all the lnfo:)

Great would love to know the outcome :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement