Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show 12/9/2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

We can do a duet at the Christmas Toy show!!....:D

I even know the words!!!.....:o

Ah yes, them were the days, when I Woz a Lad:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBxI9yKLgw

And, funnily enough,

I copied all the letters in a hand so free,
    That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!

I dare say:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

These children should be in the audience. I don't see why children are interviewed for an adults show

These kids are great! Love listening to them - they are so articulate. Also so upbeat
    considering all the suffering they have endured in their short lives.

Lisha wrote: »
    Barretstown is fantastic

Really like this segment. We rarely hear about Barretstown and the wonderful
    work which goes on there.

Looks like we are making up tonight for the lack of any misery slot last week. Perhaps the usual booker of the misery guests was on holidays and is now back with a bang.

Misery? Not these kids! Look in the mirror!! ;)

MrsD007 wrote: »
    These children are more articulate and interesting than most of the adults who appear on the LLS.

Absolutely!!

Skid X wrote: »
    I dread to think how they recruited these kids for the show. Did a researcher ask the Nurses to suggest sick children who would be able to give a good interview?

This is the 20th anniversary of the founding of Barretstown. It is good that we are
    hearing about it, IMO.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    What's wrong with you people? "bit too adult for their age"

They've faced death, d'ya want them to blab on about Jedward?

+100!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

This is for you CK!!....

The whikey did the trick all right!!..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

This is for you CK!!....

The whikey did the trick all right!!..:D

I can see you 2nd from left. Your beard hardly shows:D

• Advertisement

I can see you 2nd from left. Your beard hardly shows:D

I'm going to demand a refund from the No No people!!...:D:D:D

Dam curly wurlies!!!!....:pac:

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I reckon the registrar mis-spelt the name Celia.

Clelia is Italian, afaik. She was named after her grandmother.

amdublin wrote: »
    I loved him too!

Me three! :)

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Producer needs to be shot. Not showing half the cast sitting there

They did not show any of the O'Briens.
    Eoghan and Debbie were way out at the edge. They even cut out the follow up to
    that scene with Paul and Niamh which they have been showing in the promo.
    This FC slot is dreadful stuff! :( The
    Barretstown children were much better!!

I was doing this movie called Saving Private Ryan before I went back to starring in the blockbuster called Fair City..

This Mac is such a name dropper - Tom
    Hanks, Kelly's Hotel, photo of his BMW!!
    Sign of insecurity, I believe!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Jesus ****ing christ. How did Paul Simon allow that ? He can't be that hard up. My fcking ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Have to say that I don't think this was the worst LLS. It was better than most in recent seasons

Here's a few thoughts

I enjoyed Michelle with her lovely scottish accent and it was probably timely to have someone from Scotland on to give a nod to the momentous up referendum. However the staged questions were a bit annoying.....By god that Branson poster question was going to be asked no matter what!

While I though the children were absolute dotes I didn't like them being interviewed up on stage by Tubs. I preferred seeing them running around in Barrettstown acting like children. Great to bring attention to Barrettstown but I felt it was preying on these innocent children by putting them in such an adult arena. I think it would have been better to inverview the parents.

Also aside from the subject matter, and sick or not, it is is the end of the week and I am sitting watching the LLS with a glass of wine in my hand - I don't want to see children on the LLS.

The Fair City section was strange - it was all Paul Paul Paul!
    However, I did enjoy the old clips. Pulling out the RTE archives and showing clips that may not be seen otherwise is great......showing clips from Youtube is not (Take note RTE!).
    I enjoyed the audience interaction - again it is appropriate from time to time especially when "super fans" are located. But it should not be done every week just for the sake of it.

I thought the James Blunt looked like it was heading in to Cuba Gooding jr/Juliette Binoche/Rhys Ifans territory at first. It seemed quite awkward. But it came back around - James Blunt relaxed in to it......but I don't think the host helped him do this.

My biggest disappointment was Kevin McCloud getting stuck on at the end and being interviewed for such a short time. What a wasted opportunity. Personally I think the Barrattstown section should have been left out (Tubs could have done it on his Radio Show) and the time given over to McCloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Have to say that I don't think this was the worst LLS. It was better than most in recent seasons

Here's a few thoughts

I enjoyed Michelle with her lovely scottish accent and it was probably timely to have someone from Scotland on to give a nod to the momentous up referendum. However the staged questions were a bit annoying.....By god that Branson poster question was going to be asked no matter what!

While I though the children were absolute dotes I didn't like them being interviewed up on stage by Tubs. I preferred seeing them running around in Barrettstown acting like children. Great to bring attention to Barrettstown but I felt it was preying on these innocent children by putting them in such an adult arena. I think it would have been better to inverview the parents.

Also aside from the subject matter, and sick or not, it is is the end of the week and I am sitting watching the LLS with a glass of wine in my hand - I don't want to see children on the LLS.

However, I did enjoy the old clips. Pulling out the RTE archives and showing clips that may not be seen otherwise is great......showing clips from Youtube is not (Take note RTE!).
    I enjoyed the audience interaction - again it is appropriate from time to time especially when "super fans" are located. But it should not be done every week just for the sake of it.

I thought the James Blunt looked like it was heading in to Cuba Gooding jr/Juliette Binoche/Rhys Ifans territory at first. It seemed quite awkward. But it came back around - James Blunt relaxed in to it......but I don't think the host helped him do this.

My biggest disappointment was Kevin McCloud getting stuck on at the end and being interviewed for such a short time. What a wasted opportunity. Personally I think the Barrattstown section should have been left out (Tubs could have done it on his Radio Show) and the time given over to McCloud.

I agree completely and I also think that the whole Fair City slot was very rushed and another missed opportunity. Why have loads of cast member there if you only speak to a handful of them? Also agree that they should've shown old footage from the archives - not YouTube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Here's a few thoughts

Yeah those pesky attention seeking kids........ Jeez, bit harsh, i thought it was a lovely piece and was ppsitive and whatever about some of his notoriously cringeworthy and bad interviewing techniques, he is rather good with kids. The Barretstown clips should have focused more on the kids and the staff/voulonteers rather than tubridy geeking about.
    Makes a change from the usual obnoxious and irritating "talented" kids hogging the limelight...

brooke 2 wrote: »

Why would the o briens who are in it a few weeks be significant to a 25 year anniversary. It was a very poor piece on reflection. Made out that the whole show is about Paul And Niamh. Far more interesting characters and stories than a man kissing girls ( oh the absurdity of it all!!!) Most soap anniversarys would have multiple brilliant storys, fair city was just lazy and prolonged another boring affair story to "peak" at the anniversary week.

Why would the o briens who are in it a few weeks be significant to a 25 year anniversary. It was a very poor piece on reflection. Made out that the whole show is about Paul And Niamh. Far more interesting characters and stories than a man kissing girls ( oh the absurdity of it all!!!) Most soap anniversarys would have multiple brilliant storys, fair city was just lazy and prolonged another boring affair story to "peak" at the anniversary week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yeah those pesky attention seeking kids........ Jeez, bit harsh, i thought it was a lovely piece and was ppsitive and whatever about some of his notoriously cringeworthy and bad interviewing techniques, he is rather good with kids. The Barretstown clips should have focused more on the kids and the staff/voulonteers rather than tubridy geeking about.
    Makes a change from the usual obnoxious and irritating "talented" kids hogging the limelight...

To be fair that happens once a year on the Toy Show. And that is where I think interviews with children should stay - on the Toy Show.
    Sorry, but I really do not want to see interviews with children (I don't care what the topic) on my Friday night.
    They were lovely children and it's a heartbreaking subject, ill children. But frankly, ill children, well children, I just don't want to watch an interview with children on the late late show.

As I said, if I want to see an interview with children I'll watch School Around the Corner or something similar.

I would have loved if they brought back some of the people who were in it in the past - e.g. Martina Flynn who played Anne Clarke and showed clips (from the archive not youtube!!!) of her with her big 80/90's hair :)
    Also Caroline Morahan - I can't find clips of her on youtube when she was in FC, would be great if RTE had dug that up.

Guess it was cheaper to just get the current bunch in - probably in their contract for this year that they may have to do 25 year promo work at no extra wage or something....

To be fair that happens once a year on the Toy Show. And that is where I think interviews with children should stay - on the Toy Show.
    Sorry, but I really do not want to see interviews with children (I don't care what the topic) on my Friday night.
    They were lovely children and it's a heartbreaking subject, ill children. But frankly, ill children, well children, I just don't want to watch an interview with children on the late late show.

As I said, if I want to see an interview with children I'll watch School Around the Corner or something similar.

Justice for Children. Dont you know the children are our future........

It was an uplifting topic (not heartbreaking or depressing) Barretstown is about happiness, joy and is a far more significant and worthy natipnal institution than Fair City is for Ireland or a bra maker is for Scotland. Late Late show is supposed to be rtes flagship show so is the proper place to celebrate 20 years of such a brilliant place. 20 minutes for 20 years for hundreds of kids who have found joy from the place after suffering.

You probably agree with how brilliant a place it is I hope but I hope this will make you think of why it was worth just ovet a quarter of an hour on a Friday night.
    Kids have brains also and their stprys are far more interesting than a pretty face boyband member, an RTE staffmember dragged from the cafe at the last minute or a bra maker.

Maybe not for you, but for most I anticipate?

It was an uplifting topic (not heartbreaking or depressing) Barretstown is about happiness, joy and is a far more significant and worthy natipnal institution than Fair City is for Ireland or a bra maker is for Scotland. Late Late show is supposed to be rtes flagship show so is the proper place to celebrate 20 years of such a brilliant place. 20 minutes for 20 years for hundreds of kids who have found joy from the place after suffering.

You probably agree with how brilliant a place it is I hope but I hope this will make you think of why it was worth just ovet a quarter of an hour on a Friday night.
    Kids have brains also and their stprys are far more interesting than a pretty face boyband member, an RTE staffmember dragged from the cafe at the last minute or a bra maker.

Seriously?? Have you watched School Around the Corner? The interviews with children are very entertaining in an "interview with children" kind of way. And when I am in the mood for watching interviews with children it is a great little program and I enjoy it alot.

But seriously I no more want to watch an interview with children on a Friday night, a childs brain is different from an adults brain, and bad enough is it that the lls has the boyband/dumbed down type of guest, now we also get children on the show. That's not my idea of a fun Friday night - and I can't imagine that it is a lot of people's "oh great, end of a busy week, kids in bed, glass of wine, oh look great; while I'm relaxing with my own kids tucked away having some adult time to myself I can now watch these kids on the lls" :pac:

Seriously?

Edit.
    I agree it was uplifting, I agree Barretstown is brilliant. I just don't want to watch an interview with children on the lls unless it is the toyshow. I don't mind if the interview is primarily with the parents and the child is present and is asked a question or two. I want to watch interviews of adults. A bit like if I go out on a Friday night I don't want to sit talking with children all night, I want to be with adults!!!

Seriously?? Have you watched School Around the Corner? The interviews with children are very entertaining in an "interview with children" kind of way. And when I am in the mood for watching interviews with children it is a great little program and I enjoy it alot.

But seriously I no more want to watch an interview with children on a Friday night, a childs brain is different from an adults brain, and bad enough is it that the lls has the boyband/dumbed down type of guest, now we also get children on the show. That's not my idea of a fun Friday night - and I can't imagine that it is a lot of people's "oh great, end of a busy week, kids in bed, glass of wine, oh look great; while I'm relaxing with my own kids tucked away having some adult time to myself I can now watch these kids on the lls" :pac:

Seriously?

Edit.
    I agree it was uplifting, I agree Barretstown is brilliant. I just don't want to watch an interview with children on the lls unless it is the toyshow. I don't mind if the interview is primarily with the parents and the child is present and is asked a question or two. I want to watch interviews of adults. A bit like if I go out on a Friday night I don't want to sit talking with children all night, I want to be with adults!!!

ok i get it! YOU dont want to watch an interview with kids. Hope it didnt ruin your weekend.

ok i get it! YOU dont want to watch an interview with kids. Hope it didnt ruin your weekend.

I'll struggle on through :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If you read the thread, plenty of people (including me) shared amdublin's opinion about the children. It's a perfectly valid point of view.

Ok final point. I have used my imagination here but please just hear me out....... I dont think the interviewing of the kids was meant to be entertaining in a laugh a minute kind of way, it was about celebrating the success of a wonderful and inspired charity and more importantly drawing attention to it and helping fundraising as such charities are seriously struggling at the moment.

I agree it is horrendous that it took ten minutes of chatting to fair city actors about Paul Brennan kissing women and MacLean Burkes oscar worthy performance in Private Ryan away from us n but who knows in 25 years time we may get those ten minutes back.

Lastly, i really dont think this thread is a fair measure of reaction to such a slot given 90% (me included!) are rather cynical about LLS no matter what (and justifiably so!) so you are going to get a heavier reaction from those who disagreed with the slot rather than thought it was worthy.

Anyway you are wasting much more "fun time" complaining about it than the few minutes it was on.

Just my opinion as i have a nephew who suffered a terrible illness and i witnessed how important this place was to him fighting through it.

We're kind of going around in circles :) C'mere of course I think Barrettstown is an absolutely brilliant place, I support it and have supported it financially in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
    But my point stands, I don't care what the children are talking about, I simply don't want to see or hear children on a Friday night.
    And no matter how great of a cause I just don't fancy watching interviews with children. Would I be giving out about a slot on Barrettstown if it had been adults talking? No I would have preferred that (well aside from giving out that it is the misery slot :pac:)

The childrens interview, slot, last night bored me.

Btw, text SMILE to 50300 to donate €2 to Barretstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Niamh from FC comes across as a real attention seeker. Up her backside. As for Paul? Lapping it up being described as a slut! Why have all that cast on if they weren't going to even show or introduce them?

Late late show has never been a comedy entertainment show in whole or pretended to be. It relies on topical diversity and thats what makes it unique. Whilst i dont get enjoyment in suffering or talks about suffering they are just as if not more relevant than the other slots on. Its not a Graham Norton style show nor never has claimed to be and it has very limited pulling power given its viwership nowadays so apart from a few plugs for books, movies etc or the odd comedian its never going to be that entertaining and tubridy doesnt have the charm or wit to make an ordinary interview extraordinary! I just enjoy the slagging on here when im on but i dont agree that the slot last night was misery, it was anything but. Watching Tubridy interview a sportstar is much more misery laden in my opinion!

Point taken. But, why were they there? It was obvious that Tubridy could not care less
    about Fair City, which has a considerable viewership - excluding most boardsies on here, obviously! It was mostly about Paul. Tubs totally blanked Niamh who was sitting right beside him - she has been in FC for years also. Not that I particularly wanted to hear from her!! It was a very rushed piece. Better nothing at all than that excuse of an
    acknowledgement of the 25 year anniversary.

It was entirely appropriate to have an item on Barretstown on the LLS as this is the 20th anniversary of their founding. I guarantee you that last night was the first time some people heard of the wonderful work which is being carried out down there in Ballymore Eustace.

Personally, I was delighted to see the item as Barretstown is the only charity
    which I support and it is good to see them getting publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

. Tubs totally blanked Niamh who was sitting right beside him -.

But she did her utmost to get noticed. It was a cringe piece of tv the whole thing.

:):)

walshb wrote: »
    Niamh from FC comes across as a real attention seeker. Up her backside. As for Paul? Lapping it up being described as a slut! Why have all that cast on if they weren't going to even show or introduce them?

Exactly. Tubridy could not have been more offhand if he tried! Why bother putting
    on that item if he had no intention of doing it properly? It was all Paul, Paul, Paul -
    or, rather, Tony, Tony, Tony!! :( As for that foray into the audience, it was mind numbingly cringeworthy!! :( The look of bewilderment on 'Ray's' face when his
    'cousin' was nattering on was hilarious!!

We're kind of going around in circles :) C'mere of course I think Barrettstown is an absolutely brilliant place, I support it and have supported it financially in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
    But my point stands, I don't care what the children are talking about, I simply don't want to see or hear children on a Friday night.
    And no matter how great of a cause I just don't fancy watching interviews with children. Would I be giving out about a slot on Barrettstown if it had been adults talking? No I would have preferred that (well aside from giving out that it is the misery slot :pac:)

The childrens interview, slot, last night bored me.

The children's interview slot was my favourite part of the show.
    So, there you go - different strokes for different folk, am!! :)

Late late show has never been a comedy entertainment show in whole or pretended to be. It relies on topical diversity and thats what makes it unique. Whilst i dont get enjoyment in suffering or talks about suffering they are just as if not more relevant than the other slots on. Its not a Graham Norton style show nor never has claimed to be and it has very limited pulling power given its viwership nowadays so apart from a few plugs for books, movies etc or the odd comedian its never going to be that entertaining and tubridy doesnt have the charm or wit to make an ordinary interview extraordinary! I just enjoy the slagging on here when im on but i dont agree that the slot last night was misery, it was anything but. Watching Tubridy interview a sportstar is much more misery laden in my opinion!

There was more misery here on Boards than there was on the slot of those wonderful,
    amazing, cheerful, courageous children! They were so articulate and bright, in marked contrast to some of the FC 'stars', some of whom were barely able to string a few coherent sentences together!!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    But she did her utmost to get noticed. It was a cringe piece of tv the whole thing.

She was sitting between Tubs and Paul/Tony. She was being totally blanked.
    I hold no candle for her, but I don't blame her for trying to 'get noticed'. She has also been on FC for many years and been involved in several controversial storylines. The whole thing was a disaster - it seems to me that the greatest egotists among them got a chance to speak!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

niamhascrumpet.jpg?w=490&h=275

I always thought Niamh was a bit of hot stuff... Imagine coming home in the evening and finding that draped across the bonnet of the Nissan Sunny... ;)

And fair play to everybody who got up early this morning to have a row about Fair City... lol

I would have liked to see some vintage clips of Niamh. For example her and Barry having an liaison and her just a school girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They should stop doing interviews altogether on the late late...it's just not tubs strong point...he's not a people person...they should play to his strengths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

With regard to Barretstown, I think that with the amazing things that happen there it is deserving of a documentary in its own right. I would question the validity of having children being interviewed live on the show, well after the watershed, after all the watershed is there for a reason. The children being interviewed were so enlightening, but this is one case where there should have been a pre-recorded interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ok Tubs! This is it.

Kevin Mccleod's is a good guest. No excuses. Just don't mess it up.

I like FC :)

I am looking forward to tonight's show.

For such a loooong show the interviews were very rushed

• Advertisement

cofy wrote: »
    I would question the validity of having children being interviewed live on the show, well after the watershed, after all the watershed is there for a reason.

Oh dont get Amdublin started again will you ...

Oh dont get Amdublin started again will you ...

Did you get up especially early for the handbags at dawn??....:p

Did you get up especially early for the handbags at dawn??....:p

Well I missed the whole row about Fair City yesterday morning.. I wasnt gonna let that happen again now was I..

I'm trying to decide if I'll start it all again.......

****hides behind WM's couch****

I could throw notes over the couch I suppose....

Lol, think we'll have to agree to disagree :pac: about children on the lls

• Advertisement
Advertisement