Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor leg strength

• 11-09-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

As the title says I find this the weakest part of my body. Iam looking for workout plans that would help me increase my leg strength. Would stronglifts be benefical or would i need to mix it up. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

As the title says I find this the weakest part of my body. Iam looking for workout plans that would help me increase my leg strength. Would stronglifts be benefical or would i need to mix it up. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Any of the well known strength programmes where you squat more than once a week would probably help. What do you squat presently?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 snoozin boozin

Iam new enough to goin to the gym so i dont no what my max is but i would manage 5 sets of 5 reps @110kg. Can you give some examples of those programs u mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have you had anyone look at your squat or had a video of it to see if it's parallel or below?

What are your other lifts like?

Have you had anyone look at your squat or had a video of it to see if it's parallel or below?

What are your other lifts like?

I have had no one look at my squat. Iam very tall so maybe that could be an issue too. Bench would be what i consider good(i think) 4 sets 8 reps @ 70kg oh press @50kg+ same reps sets deadlift i have not done as much on because of niggling back prob but this week did 3 sets 8 reps @110kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your squat, bench and OH press are all roughly in proportion tbh. But that's assuming you are hitting depth on the squats, most beginners aren't.

What ever the case may be, it doesn't matter going forward. You should do the same thing regardless.
    Record a set of squats, check your form, or have somebody check for you (a friend, somebody from the gym, or even online here).
    Start a basic linear progression program. Stick with it and ride it out at long as you can. You mentioned stronglifts, it's one of a number of places you could start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wall squats. Lots of them, before you start lifting.

Any time I've had an injury through rugby and have to do rehab I do wall squads progressively before I go onto compounds. So, like, start off with 30 seconds, 3 times a day, and then gradually increase. Ideally getting to 2 minutes without being in too much discomfort should be the goal. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes.

.ak wrote: »
    Wall squats. Lots of them, before you start lifting.

Any time I've had an injury through rugby and have to do rehab I do wall squads progressively before I go onto compounds. So, like, start off with 30 seconds, 3 times a day, and then gradually increase. Ideally getting to 2 minutes without being in too much discomfort should be the goal. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes.

Thanks for the advice is there any other exercises to help or are squats the best exercise to build strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thanks for the advice is there any other exercises to help or are squats the best exercise to build strength

Really depends what you're looking for. Starting from scratch I always like the physio approach of slowly building strength across the core as well as the legs, everything is linked and stabilization and mobility are also key; wall squats, body weight squats, weighted split lunges, bridging, abductions, planks, side planks, calf raises, single leg squats. etc

For me, ideally, I'd like to be proficient in each one of those before moving onto compound moves. Then as others have mentioned, I think it's important you have somebody with you when starting them, watch your form, start with an empty bar and work your way up from there once your form is solid.

The reason I think you should start with the body weight and stabilization stuff first is whilst you're working on strength and balance you'll also be working on mobility, which imo is key to good form in weight lifting.

Advertisement