Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game of Thrones-apt adventures?

• 11-09-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hey all,
    I'm thinking of running a GoT-themed campaign, but I can't think of any scenarios that would fit with the theme of the books. I'd like a mix of action and intrigue. What setting works best? Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Marthakelly

mean you the board game?
    How many players will be playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

I've been working on a Westeros game using a hybrid of Cortex Drama (Smallville) and Action (Leverage/Firefly). I think any GOT game needs rules for social combat, or else the loudest player is going to sit on the Iron Throne every time. Fate could be good too, lots of options for compels and you could use houses as aspects.

I don't think D&D/Pathfinder will work well for the setting, but it is possible. The main thing is the game is balanced around the players getting lots of shiny loot, and in the GOT-verse a magic item or two would change the game dramatically. I can see scrying being a problem as well. There is a D20 3.5 book for the setting, and there was an issue of Dragon with a Night's Watch prestige class (I imagine it's either superbroken or bordering on useless, like most 3.5 prestige classes).

The best setting of the supported ones is probably Eberron. That setting has thirteen Houses which manifest dragonmarks, which have fuelled a few of my games. Sharn, the City of Towers, is a good substitute for King's Landing as well. They mostly deal with trade though. The setting is just coming out of a world war in 3.5 and 4th. The setting is extremely high magic/dungeon punk though, so be advised that you will find it hard to nail the tone of the books/show when you're in a setting with trains powered by Lightning Bolt spells and an entire race of magic robots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

I've been reading the Fate Core SRD and I have to say it's a really elegant RPG, very dedicated to storytelling. It uses the language of narrative to influence the mechanics of the game and let's face it, narrative effectively defines RPGs anyway - you're taking turns describing an 'adventure'.

The new Dungeons & Dragons system looks great and a vast improvement on 2nd ed. which I wasted a lot of money on as a teenager but the focus of the game remains combat - maybe it's essentially a turn-based strategy game, maybe it's best suited to miniatures or maybe it was always just a prototype video-game that's kind of defunct now.

Fate places the emphasis squarely on story-telling.

Advertisement