Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you throttling YouTube on e-fibre?

Options
  • 11-09-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Solid 92 mbps download, but Youtube buffers and only plays smoothly at 240p.

Switch on VPN, 1440p and 4k load instantly.

It's not me. It's not a problem with the line. It's not any of the other excuses Eircom love to throw about when they balls something up. It's throttling.

So can you tell me why? And if this is a permanent feature of e-fibre? I'd love to know whether I should continue service with Eircom or go elsewhere?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

T83 wrote: »
    Solid 92 mbps download, but Youtube buffers and only plays smoothly at 240p.

Switch on VPN, 1440p and 4k load instantly.

It's not me. It's not a problem with the line. It's not any of the other excuses Eircom love to throw about when they balls something up. It's throttling.

So can you tell me why? And if this is a permanent feature of e-fibre? I'd love to know whether I should continue service with Eircom or go elsewhere?

Thanks.

Hi T83

I have contacted eircoms technical support department and they have informed that It's not possible for eircom to throttle specific websites and this is something which would not even be attempted by eircom.
    I have been advised to ask you to contact technical support directly when you experience this issues again as they will be then able to conduct real time tests and investigate this issue further. Technical support can be contacted on 1890260260 or via webchat here: http://www.eircom.net/about/contact/

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

Hi T83

I have contacted eircoms technical support department and they have informed that It's not possible for eircom to throttle specific websites...

I don't know what to say to that, other than wow. Its quite possible, and done by ISP's on a regular basis all over the world for various reasons, not the least of which is bandwidth management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

yes you're right.

eircom wonder why we're all jumping ship...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

T83 wrote: »
    Hi T83

I have contacted eircoms technical support department and they have informed that It's not possible for eircom to throttle specific websites...

I don't know what to say to that, other than wow. Its quite possible, and done by ISP's on a regular basis all over the world for various reasons, not the least of which is bandwidth management.
    Hi T83

I had only confirmed what I have been informed but it's best to discus this with technical support - apologies for any inconvenience T83

Al

Advertisement