Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerial/saorview

• 11-09-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Any ideas on this please..
    I have a sat. dish which gives me quite a few free stations through an old sky box. There is also an aerial on the roof (I think its an mmds aerial) . The tv is a Samsung which is just a few years old which has an array of connection points on the back.
    My question is : if I connect the aerial with coax cable to the tv will I get any Irish stations.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,499 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's an MMDS aerial, possibly not (UHF aerial needed for Saorview) but it's definitely worth trying. The TV will need to have a digital tuner and support Saorview. However if you're close enough to the transmitter, you could pick up the signal with an indoor aerial so a rooftop MMDS aerial would probably do the biz.

Roughly where do you live?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Tombs

coylemj wrote: »
    ... if you're close enough to the transmitter, you could pick up the signal with an indoor aerial so a rooftop MMDS aerial would probably do the biz.

If the MMDS aerial "works" for Saorview, it will be signal picked up on the downlead. MMDS aerials have a downconverter (like a satellite LNB) that needs power: they're no use for UHF broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭me4many

Thanks for replies.
    Should I connect coax directly to the tv or does it go to the sky box.
    I will make up a connection and see what happens.
    As far as I know he signal comes from Naul.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

me4many wrote: »
    There is also an aerial on the roof (I think its an mmds aerial) . The tv is a Samsung which is just a few years old which has an array of connection points on the back.

Pics of MMDS aerials here - http://www.wrightsaerials.co.uk/aerialphotography/aerialingus/011.shtml

Samsung TVs from about 2008/09 should have the necessary tuner to handle Saorview signals, what's the model no.?

Test the feed from the aerial by connecting to the TV's aerial/RF-in socket.

Saorview requires a UHF aerial like one of these - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/step-2-check-aerial/

I'm not at the house so I will check aerial type and tv model no. later today.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

The aerial I have is like the first one in the mmds photo but mine also has an "Aerial" coming out the side.

Samsung tv model code is : LE40R82BX/XEU

I made a connection from the aerial to the tv but I didn't get a picture.

Thanks

The aerial I have is like the first one in the mmds photo but mine also has an "Aerial" coming out the side.

Samsung tv model code is : LE40R82BX/XEU

That model of TV appears to be quiet old now, circa 2007. Had a look at the manual online and it doesn't appear to have a digital tuner. This could be the reason it you don't get a picture.

I'm guessing the aerial "coming out the side" of the MMDS aerial is like one of these?

Yes, it looks like one of the first five in the link .
    What do you suggest I do to pick up the local channels ....( on a tight budget ..no sky) .
    Also, if I got a combo box would I pick up more channels than I do with my old Sky box or does it matter what box I have if the dish is pointed the right way.
    Thanks for any help.

On a tight budget I'd just buy a standalone Saorview receiver like the Triax 212 here for €74 (twin-tuner - watch 1 channel/record 1 channel via external attached drive) or the Walker WP13 here for €59 (single tuner). Connect it to your existing TV via HDMI or scart.

The links also have combi receivers available to buy but they cost more, the satellite part won't have the 7 day guide just now and next programme info. The satellite channels will be stored randomly as found requiring you to sort them as required. List of free-to-air channels at 28°E

Regarding the aerial/cabling, depending on the age and condition it may have to be looked at if you dont get a signal with the Saorview receiver. I assume the MMDS aerial hasn't been used for a while and there are no plans to use it, if so it could be removed for good if the Saorview aerial is being worked on. The MMDS service is bein switched off in early 2016 in any case.

Thanks for all the info. ( I'm going to test your patience a bit more)

Can I take it that part of the aerial I have (the extended bit) is UHF and is suitable for soarview. I will check cable.

The stations I pick up now on my old sky box are the same as I would get on a combo box.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Can I take it that part of the aerial I have (the extended bit) is UHF and is suitable for soarview. I will check cable.

The stations I pick up now on my old sky box are the same as I would get on a combo box.

If it looks like the aerial in the link I posted then it's UHF but as you can see in the link there are different group aerials covering all or a section of the UHF band. The only way to know for sure that it works for Saorview from your local transmitter is to connect it to a suitable Saorview receiver.

How many cables are coming in from the 2 aerials (MMDS/UHF)? If only 1 then the 2 aerials are combined somewhere between the aerials and the TV point, this may or may not be a problem.

There is just one cable coming down from the aerial. I will get my hands on a portable saorview tv and test it.

What about the channels coming in on sky dish ( see above)

Thanks

What about the channels coming in on sky dish ( see above)

Is there specific channels on the Sky box that you want, check it against the link I posted above to the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E). I don't have a Sky box to check which if any are only available with a non-subscribed Sky box.

Advertisement